Stone of Destiny

i8hibsh

jamboinglasgow

read it yesterday, could not believe he was able to say that. Thank goodness they got a respected Scottish Historian to rubbish it.

read it yesterday, could not believe he was able to say that. Thank goodness they got a respected Scottish Historian to rubbish it.

Did the respected Scottish Historian who rubbished the claims explain why it isn't round, black and polished with carved symbols, as per the Medieval chroniclers?

Or why a stone that was reputed to be used by by the biblical patriarch Jacob as a pillow would appear to have a composition similar to other quarried Perthshire stones, as per mineralogical analysis, and not a composition familiar to the Middle East?

jamboinglasgow
Did the respected Scottish Historian who rubbished the claims explain why it isn't round, black and polished with carved symbols, as per the Medieval chroniclers?

Or why a stone that was reputed to be used by by the biblical patriarch Jacob as a pillow would appear to have a composition similar to other quarried Perthshire stones, as per mineralogical analysis, and not a composition familiar to the Middle East?

No as unlike Salmond who got a whole page to go through his theory the historian got only 1 sentence where he countered the view that the abbot of Scone decided to hide it.

nanananananana-angus

Don't think there is anything controversial or outlandish in anything Salmond has said,he is a historian himself and is just stating his opinion,an opinion that many others share.

The article does say the film is based on the 1950 "theft" of the Stone by Scottish radicals.Surely they mean repatriation?

Ray Winstone

With Medieval history you are always going to get various historians who argue for both sides of cases like this.

The medieval chronicles are sometimes written years or decades after the chronicler saw or heard about what they eventually write about.

Ray Winstone
Froissart is the daddy of chroniclers.

I have one of his books - some of the stories in there are absolute crackers.

Had to do a documents test on it last year!

Ohh no, First Minister tells historical theory - Oust him now!! :sarcasm:

He probably blames Westminster

And Toggie I can spell!!!!!!!!

He probably blames Westminster

And Toggie I can spell!!!!!!!!

Yeah, he does. So do I, it's all there fault :sarcasm:

Explain your name and the quote will be removed.

So do I, it's all there fault

You stopped blubbing about it yet Togster?

Rick Grimes
No as unlike Salmond who got a whole page to go through his theory the historian got only 1 sentence where he countered the view that the abbot of Scone decided to hide it.

its a fake. if Edward I had got the real thing then why did he send troops up to rip the abbey apart again 2 years later, only for them to return home empty handed?

Nobody knows for sure, but I'd say the Abbott got one over on the thick English soldiers eh :D

Simply put, Salmond's theory is just as sound as anybody elses as nobody can say 100% which is correct.

jambopompey

The SNP hopes the film, which is being billed as Braveheart II, will boost its campaign for independence.

full of historical inaccuracies then.

I reckon the fat racist Salmond ate it

The above comment is based solely on the opinion of i8hibsh and is not shared by the JKB team

Yeah, he does. So do I, it's all there fault :sarcasm:

Explain your name and the quote will be removed.

*their :biggrin:

jamboinglasgow
With Medieval history you are always going to get various historians who argue for both sides of cases like this.

The medieval chronicles are sometimes written years or decades after the chronicler saw or heard about what they eventually write about.

I agree with you, done alot of medieval history recently and my dissertation is about the major chronicler Matthew Paris so been reading a few. Adding to what you said it is also worth remembering that they would twist the truth to make something more symbolic or similar to the old testament e.g. if a king does something, make it sound more like something biblical or similar to a great king (e.g. Charlemange is a big fav of German and french chroniclers.)

Archived