Latest Deloitte football finance review

Fly the Saltire

Fly the Saltire

Latest Deloitte annual review of football finance  for 2015/16 shows that the rich get richer and Scotland gets a shocking broadcasting deal compared to Denmark .   Denmark gets 79m euros per annum from TV rights while Scotland got 31 million or ?19 m in total.

https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/sports-business-group/articles/annual-review-of-football-finance.html

Not just Denmark but Norway gets a far better deal yet Scottish league has far more world wide appeal in countries like Australia, New Zealand and Canada.. 

In December 2015 Discovery Networks Norway acquired the domestic media rights to Norway?s top two soccer divisions in a deal reportedly worth just over US$278 million.

The media and communications company will broadcast matches from the top-tier Tippeligaen and second-tier OBOS-ligaen competitions across its TVNorge, MAX and Eurosport channels between 2017 and 2022.

The six-year deal, signed with the Norwegian Football Association (NFF) and Norsk Toppfotball, is worth some NKr 2.4 billion (around US$278 million), according to Sportcal.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/discovery_agrees_largest_tv_deal_in_norwegian_sports_history

At least  Ralph Topping spoke out against the shabby BBC deal and hopefully the new guy is as pro-active.

BT getting exclusive rights and throwing more money in 2019 (or 2020), but our game still undersold and neglected by our authorities 

BT getting exclusive rights and throwing more money in 2019 (or 2020), but our game still undersold and neglected by our authorities 

Agreed. That deal with China was ****ing embarrassing and they were lauding it like it was some expert negotiation. Chump change. Allowing Sky and BT to share the games was another piece of idiocy from our glorious leaders -Lack of competition and incentive to improve the deal I suppose weren't considered?

Don't get me wrong its not an easy job but they are woefully inept. How can countries with very little outside marketability get better TV deals than us? Thinking Polish, Danish, Norwegian etc. As a marker the aim should be to get a better TV deal than those countries for the sake of actually being able to compete in europe. Suggests to me that these countries appoint based on merit whilst we are stuck in jobs for the boys still.

Hopefully the BT deal is the first of a progression and proper marketing of the game. Although the new guy is another probably OF sycophant from Glasgow, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt to act in the best way for the league (I.e to try and generate more money).

Archived