What's with all this man hugging ?

Boozyuzi

What's going on ? Back in the day you could go for a couple of beers and a firm hand shake or a simple "cheerio" was enough before you were on your way.

However, nowadays it appears that every time I leave the pub/corner shop/phone box I have to spend at least 15 minutes man hugging my mates as if they are just about to emigrate to Australia or the Antarctic.

And that's just the guys.. sometimes when me & my wife are out with other couples the long goodbye can take about an hour by the time everyone has kissed each other twice on the cheek and confirmed that the night was a "great night" despite it being almost exactly the same as every other night at the local boozer.

Honestly, it does ma head in..nae wonder folk drink in the house..

Load of pish, a good firm handshake covers every eventuality, funerals, weddings, emigration, child birth, first ride, all this hugging is just nonsense, I blame the Europeans.

I don't object but keep the man hugging for friends whom you don't see very often. As mentioned above a good handshake is enough.

Riddley Walker

An issue with British culture is that we have no pre-defined greeting or goodbye. If you're French you know exactly what's going to happen when you meet or greet someone, the wee 2 kiss on the cheek.

It would help if we all just agreed to do one thing and would save awkward moments for all.

been here before

What's going on ? Back in the day you could go for a couple of beers and a firm hand shake or a simple "cheerio" was enough before you were on your way.

However, nowadays it appears that every time I leave the pub/corner shop/phone box I have to spend at least 15 minutes man hugging my mates as if they are just about to emigrate to Australia or the Antarctic.

So dont do it then. Its really not that diffucult.

Nowt wrong with a big hug. Sometimes use tongues and all.

Would be rude not to throw in a wee reach around too.

michael_bolton

As mentioned above, for those you rarely see it's fine. But when people try all that mince when you see them on a regular basis it's just daft.

I know a lot of people who try to do it and I've only known them a few months. Just stand back and avoid it.

And that's just the guys.. sometimes when me & my wife are out with other couples the long goodbye can take about an hour by the time everyone has kissed each other twice on the cheek and confirmed that the night was a "great night" despite it being almost exactly the same as every other night at the local boozer.

I agree, but what are you doing in a phone box with another man?

:ruiner:

I don't shake hands due to my seriously bad OCD.  I do a fist pump, tap on the back or a man hug.

If you don't fancy kissing men on each cheek when you meet or leave them, don't move to feckin France.

Even worse when the feckers are sweaty or have been smoking.

Or have a beard.

Whole different ball game when you meet and greet some women though!

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I don't shake hands due to my seriously bad OCD. I do a fist pump, tap on the back or a man hug.

:rofl:

OCD strikes me as the sort of thing you'd target in an epic rant denying its existing.

Get well soon tho man.

Aye, it seems all a bit fake at times. Too American.

Mates who just seen each other recently welcoming each other as if they haven't been together for a few years.

Think I'd get a slap if I tried to hug a mate :D ..I just keep them for when the JTs rip the net in big matches :)

Aye, it seems all a bit fake at times. Too American.

Mates who just seen each other recently welcoming each other as if they haven't been together for a few years.

Think I'd get a slap if I tried to hug a mate :D ..I just keep them for when the JTs rip the net in big matches :)

Americans?

Fake?

Never.

Are tongues allowed?

Are tongues allowed?

No.

That's why when you slip one in it makes it all the better.

No.

That's why when you slip one in it makes it all the better.

Tried it before eh? :laugh:

If I haven't seen someone for years a fist clamp and tap of the shoulders is enough.

Family members is different.

Back in my day it was "I'm goan hame I'll see ya the morra" and off you go.

I'm still living in that time zone

I don't do man hugs, but I hug his wife twice to keep things balanced.

Bridge of Djoum

A simple nod, perhaps a slight raising of your chosen eyebrow is plenty.

I'm all for it, was sceptical at first but got used to it.

Helps if you think that something terrible is going to happen to them and it might be the last time you see them.

Neilson's Shank

Firm dry handshake or as my son who works in England and we do not see too often uses awrite bawbag

Seymour M Hersh

If you don't fancy kissing men on each cheek when you meet or leave them, don't move to feckin France.

Even worse when the feckers are sweaty or have been smoking.

Or have a beard.

I've no doubt your balls see it as a different game! 

scott herbertson

I'm all for it, was sceptical at first but got used to it.

Helps if you think that something terrible is going to happen to them and it might be the last time you see them.

Quite depressing if every time you meet a mate you imagine some gory death for them! Do you also ask what music they'd like played at the funeral!

Archived