Laptop or Desktop?

juangoal

Got my 4+ years out of my last PC (desktop) but its been dying slowly this last year or so. So its time for me to start looking around the market at what to get next.

The missus is keen on a laptop in order to save space (+ we already have wireless internet set up). I've always been a desktop man myself as i figure you get better spec for your cash.

But im now wondering, do i really need a desktop? i dont do any gaming at all on a pc & generally im just browsing websites, in-running betting & downloading the odd film/music etc... though i would say i work a pc fairly hard & am on it at least a few hours everyday.

im thinking min specs of 2ghz processor, 250 gb hard disk & 2gb ram.

Anyone got any advice on which way to go? or know of any good deals out there right now?

Commander Harris

if it is generally speaking going to sit in the same place and portability isn't really an issue then I'd go for a Desktop. If space is a problem a flat screen monitor and a keyboard isn't going to take up much more space than a laptop, you can have the main unit on the floor out the way and not taking up desk space.

Desktops are more easily upgraded, if something goes wrong they are easier to fix, parts are easier to come by as they are not proprietary and you'll get more bang for your buck.

like I say, if portability isn't an issue I'd go for a desktop every time.

Having an IT background, I get asked this a lot. For years and years my answer would be the same: unless you need the portability, desktop every time. Twice the spec for half the price; easier to upgrade and repair without being locked into proprietary parts.

However, I reckon things have changed now. The prices of laptops has dropped through the floor. You can get a good spec for under ?500. The specification of new machines (hard disk size etc) means that upgrading is something you generally don't do any more. I recently switched to a laptop and love it. Easier to connect and disconnect your various USB bits and pieces; silent in operation instead of a fan roaring away; space saving; built in webcam; use in any room thanks to WiFi.

Got my 4+ years out of my last PC (desktop) but its been dying slowly this last year or so. So its time for me to start looking around the market at what to get next.

The missus is keen on a laptop in order to save space (+ we already have wireless internet set up). I've always been a desktop man myself as i figure you get better spec for your cash.

But im now wondering, do i really need a desktop? i dont do any gaming at all on a pc & generally im just browsing websites, in-running betting & downloading the odd film/music etc... though i would say i work a pc fairly hard & am on it at least a few hours everyday.

im thinking min specs of 2ghz processor, 250 gb hard disk & 2gb ram.

Anyone got any advice on which way to go? or know of any good deals out there right now?

If you already have a computer desk, and you don't need to move around the house or take a computer on your travels, desktop is the better option as you'll get more for your money, and can buy a nice 21"+ flatscreen monitor. Also easier to upgrade a desktop computer a couple of years down the line with new components.

Also easier to upgrade a desktop computer a couple of years down the line with new components.

That certainly used to be good advice - but what kind of upgrading would you seriously be expecting to do in this day and age? Gone are the days of installing second hard drives, additional memory, swapping out your CD ROM for a DVD rewriter and so on. I can't remember the last time I took a screwdriver to last desktop, whereas ten years ago the PC I had then seemed to be permanently in bits!

Commander Harris
That certainly used to be good advice - but what kind of upgrading would you seriously be expecting to do in this day and age? Gone are the days of installing second hard drives, additional memory, swapping out your CD ROM for a DVD rewriter and so on. I can't remember the last time I took a screwdriver to last desktop, whereas ten years ago the PC I had then seemed to be permanently in bits!

you are right that upgrading is less of an issue these days but if something does go wrong it is a lot easier to replace a desktop component. also, changing a graphics card or installing more memory is still fairly common although granted it doesn't look like an issue for the OP.

Thanks to everyone for the advice so far. Thinking about it i'd have to agree with you Diane. I have bought desktops in the past with the thought in mind that i could upgrade when i needed to but to be honest ive never upgraded any pc ive had. Once ive had my approx 4 years good use out of it ive bought a new one.

I am swaying towards a laptop, while i do have the space for a desktop now, my circumstances may be quite different in 2 years time, what with me getting married soon.

chester copperpot
Thanks to everyone for the advice so far. Thinking about it i'd have to agree with you Diane. I have bought desktops in the past with the thought in mind that i could upgrade when i needed to but to be honest ive never upgraded any pc ive had. Once ive had my approx 4 years good use out of it ive bought a new one.

I am swaying towards a laptop, while i do have the space for a desktop now, my circumstances may be quite different in 2 years time, what with me getting married soon.

I would go along with the argument of a laptop, however find if you have kids etc, and they use it for their schoolwork etc, then its better with a desktop as it sort of becomes a study area for them.

Whenever I used to have the desktop, and I needed to do something for work, I always got more done by sitting at the same space in my office upstairs. Since I did away with it, I find it more difficult to discipline myself, as I'll usually be sitting in front of the telly and get hee haw done.

Just my opinion though.

Laptops are just as cheap as desktops now.

I've got a laptop and a desktop, never use the desktop - it's just incase anything goes wrong with the laptop...it never has.

Plus, you can't beat replying to a message on JKB while doing a tolley!

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Laptops are just as cheap as desktops now.

I've got a laptop and a desktop, never use the desktop - it's just incase anything goes wrong with the laptop...it never has.

Plus, you can't beat replying to a message on JKB while doing a tolley!

You've taken that too far :P

Gone are the days of installing second hard drives, additional memory, swapping out your CD ROM for a DVD rewriter and so on.

No they aren't. I did exactly that 6 months ago.

I got a reconditioned (never used, box open) laptop for ?199 instead of ?350 from Dixons online.

2GB RAM

Dual core etc

i got a compaq the other day ?399 it has 200g hdd 2g memory and AMD 64 athlon x 2 with nividia graphics also wifi enabled its pretty good value for money. also have a desk top but i prefer the laptop.

Archived