Welcome in Belfast

sam?

Heading over to Belfast Friday night for game Saturday, what sort of reception do we think we'll get with all the NI connections.

Looking forward to see the new boys I wonder if some locals may join the jambos end ?

Heading over to Belfast Friday night for game Saturday, what sort of reception do we think we'll get with all the NI connections.

Looking forward to see the new boys I wonder if some locals may join the jambos end ?

I have been to Belfast a few times for football and just a weekend visit, very friendly city, I was at Windsor Park in 2003 and at Glentoran when we played Crusaders and Liverpool, had drinks before and after the 2 matches at Glentoran in the Harlow and Woolfe social club(The Welders) and we were made very welcome, I have also had a few beers in the Shankill Road but we were with people who were friendly with locals, it was very friendly as well, city centre was a great place, busy pubs and good people, as like all cities, show respect to the locals and you will get it back.

So Make Some Noise..

Not sure why we'd get any sort of reaction that another team wouldnt to be honest. Our NI based players may get one though?

Escobar PHM

If its anything like last time, we'll be met at the airport by 120 of their ultras, followed into town by buses with blacked out windows, corralled into a dead end alleyway and had seven bells of shite knocked out of us before being tarred and feathered and strapped to lamposts

Or they might be a nice bunch eager to engage with us in the bars, have a bit of craic and be jolly sporting chaps.

Depends what mood theyre in really

Not sure why we'd get any sort of reaction that another team wouldnt to be honest. Our NI based players may get one though?

I presume the original post referred to the fact we have 3 NI internationals when he mentioned NI connections. 

grumpyjambo

FFS! try the Falls Road for a reception!

I presume the original post referred to the fact we have 3 NI internationals when he mentioned NI connections.

You are correct I was referring to the NI players and coach not any other connection.. Kyle lafferty and Hughes may attract some interest from the locals.

Having frequented Belfast on various occasions I know the connotations of supporting the right team in the right area, that is not in doubt, purely speculation on the locals interest in a couple of high profile NI caps playing for us.

lisburnjambo

What bars will most be in before/after match ? I'm headingg from lisburn if any others

Sincerely hope so..!

What bars will most be in before/after match ? I'm headingg from lisburn if any others

I was thinking of Laverys b4 match or maybe out the Lisburn Rd...few bars....

I met a NI Jambo in  Paris during the Euros last year. He was the only guy in his crew not wearing a NI shirt - he had a Hearts shirt on. He spotted my lad in his Hearts shirt and was buzzing to met other Jambos.   From memory , he was a giant of a guy in his 20s who became a Jambo while at Uni in Edinburgh.

So if you guys meet anyone fitting that profile say "hi" from us.  :2thumbsup:

BelgeJambo

I was thinking of Laverys b4 match or maybe out the Lisburn Rd...few bars....

I was thinking Beaten Docket - its about 1.5 miles from the stadium - good bar

loveofthegame

Would be good to know if there is a big meeting place pre-game, ala a European away trip.

Still a bit too hungover from the weekend to be excited yet but sure it will come by the end of the week!

BelgeJambo

The Beaten Docket is a Wetherspoon's pub, and my giddy aunt, the Cider festival starts Friday

ye good boozer and cheap.at least it was the last time I was in.

lisburnjambo

Great idea for all the jambos to meet up in one place . Few songs add before match.

Italian Lambretta

Get yersell down to welders for a good old knees up the Friday night. Remember to bring some loose change.

Italian Lambretta

Aye the Royal Bar

Great idea for all the jambos to meet up in one place . Few songs add before match.

Lot of Jambos reside in NI not just Belfast.

its a bit hazy now as it was years ago but I'm sure I read part of an article on NI football and its links with Scotland, it said Coleraine had a decent Hearts contingent.

Think it's now called Brennan's Bar.

The Beaten Docket was the boozer where Michael Stone was drinking before he set off for the Milltown Cemetery.

Jambo 4 Ever

Why did Isma not travel?

Apparently he did,

Which is good as he needs to be training

portobellojambo1

Think it's now called Brennan's Bar.

The Beaten Docket was the boozer where Michael Stone was drinking before he set off for the Milltown Cemetery.

It is called Brennan's now Iain, just round the corner from The Crown and Robinsons Bar (both opposite the Europa Hotel).

BelgeJambo

It is called Brennan's now Iain, just round the corner from The Crown and Robinsons Bar (both opposite the Europa Hotel).

Usually have a decent night club in the Europa, or they did.

My mate is telling me Lavery's is a bigger bar and slightly closer to the ground.

Son Of Anarchy

Is the crown the expensive pub with all the cubicles? Food upstairs was brae but bit dear for me.

Usually have a decent night club in the Europa, or they did.

My mate is telling me Lavery's is a bigger bar and slightly closer to the ground.

Lavery' s is huge 3rd floor 20 odd pool tables plus countless Tvs showing sport....beer garden aswel....last time I was in they gave you a card once you buy 6 pints 7th is free so if in a round with a few folk works out no to bad.

BelgeJambo

Lavery' s is huge 3rd floor 20 odd pool tables plus countless Tvs showing sport....beer garden aswel....last time I was in they gave you a card once you buy 6 pints 7th is free so if in a round with a few folk works out no to bad.

That'll do for me

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Lavery's is excellent and massive.

Is the crown the expensive pub with all the cubicles? Food upstairs was brae but bit dear for me.

I'm sitting in that pub as we speak, prices not that bad but not looked at food as trying to dry off first

portobellojambo1

If it's the one with all the tiles then yes. I prefer Robinsons next door to it.

Great city Belfast and friendly folk on the whole.

I think Robinsons is a better bar as well BB, but the last time we were over they objected to football tops and colours, we had to nip out and buy a t-shirt each to wear.

Attended a family wedding in the Europa Hotel, the most bombed hotel in Europe apparently

portobellojambo1

Attended a family wedding in the Europa Hotel, the most bombed hotel in Europe apparently

The Crown Bar was a  target for the IRA as well.

BelgeJambo

Was indeed, back in the day

Going across to that hotel next but if it's ?7 a pint as I've been told it will be one pint, a look around then leave

Going across to that hotel next but if it's ?7 a pint as I've been told it will be one pint, a look around then leave

Son Of Anarchy

Is the crown the expensive pub with all the cubicles? Food upstairs was braw but bit dear for me.

Son Of Anarchy

I'm sitting in that pub as we speak, prices not that bad but not looked at food as trying to dry off first

It was about 5 years ago tbh. Liked the place though. Found a pool hall about 5 mins walk from the crown. At first thought it was a bad error walking in the door but once the heard accent and were told I was a Jambo folks were outstanding. Left there 5 hrs later absolutely nuggets.

its a bit hazy now as it was years ago but I'm sure I read part of an article on NI football and its links with Scotland, it said Coleraine had a decent Hearts contingent.

Only ever came across 3 guys from Coleraine that supported the famous. 2 from Larne a couple from Carickfergus and the rest from Belfast. Mind that's going back to the mid 80s. If memory serves me right.

fireeagle51

We need to to arrange a place for all of us hearts fans to meet pre match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BelgeJambo

Think Laverys is looking favourite

Think Laverys is looking favourite

Wish I'd went now with my surname being Lavery I might have got a free pint ha ha

Archived