Sky TV

steve123

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

If it doesn’t have a recording feature it will fail imo. The all in one solution must be able to do everything the sky Q box can do now or the take up will be poor. 

Can't see it not having a recording feature but it could be more like a netflix style 'my list' than the current SkyQ recordings sections

10 hours ago, Mysterion said:

The TV set was leaked last week - noting 3 sizes. 

SkyQ over IP isn't really a big leap, the existing Sky on demand platform has been built up over a decade. The IPTV aspect of things comes from their learning with NowTV and sister companies around Europe (eg Sky Italia). 

NowTV and it's previous incarnations were horrific but improved when peering links between ISPs improved. On BT Broadband the network was reworked a few years back to deliver every major video & consumer data service (from Netflix to Playstation/Microsoft) to remove buffering & slow downloads. Unless your home network is a bag of spanners then most broadband customers with at least 50mbps should be able to stream at least 4 live HD TV streams. I expect they'll sell Sky over IP as a Sky Broadband only service.

If you follow NowTV's specs - it may not do 4k initially, it's HD TV channels require 7-8mbps. I would expect them to outline minimum broadband speed requirements to be able to offer a recording option (ie. 30mbps min so that after allocating half that for TV that there's enough capacity for reasonable web browsing etc). I'd also guess that Sky Broadband's routers (in their access network and the home) would be reconfigured to prioritise video over all other IP traffic. 

My initial guess is that they will not have recording facilities built in since the purpose of the service is "Live and On Demand."  The a rumour about a "Sky Cloud" solution so that recordings are held online supports that idea.

It may well be Sky Broadband only initially but will open up to other ISP's in future (similar to when SkyQ was released). I'd also be very surprised if it was released with anything other than full 4K HDR, there's always been a deliberate differentiation between Sky and NowTv and can't see them releasing this at the same specs as NowTv

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dean Winchester

• Ribble

• jack D and coke

• Mysterion

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Can't see it not having a recording feature but it could be more like a netflix style 'my list' than the current SkyQ recordings sections

It may well be Sky Broadband only initially but will open up to other ISP's in future (similar to when SkyQ was released). I'd also be very surprised if it was released with anything other than full 4K HDR, there's always been a deliberate differentiation between Sky and NowTv and can't see them releasing this at the same specs as NowTv

I generally agree on the 4k thing but caveat that with rumours of Now bringing 4k have been around for a bit too. 4k HDR might be on content that's not live (since encoders can process and refine the stream similar to lower bit rates that Netflix/Amazon do, live sport on the other hand needs more bandwidth). 

Technically I think the existing NowTV network is the source for all this and will be run on an expanded CDN service. They don't currently have a 4k streaming option so they'll need to have new encoder hardware.

4k Sport is difficult to do but BT have already shown it's possible. What will be interesting is if they use variable bit rate for 4k and the quality it delivers, I suspect there'll be users who don't have a clue and just accept what's in front of them as 4k even if the stream is poor.

I've mucked about with my network and been able to force the streaming version of BT Sport 4k to scale up and down. You can get 4k sport to run at around 10mbps and it's acceptable but not great. Sport in 4k ideally needs a  stream running at 20-30mbps to get the full resolution/60fps/HDR/Atmos impact. So far Sky have never streamed live sport above 8-10mbps. 

Do you think it's going to be similar to a BT TV product with freeview delivering the main channels ? Would be quite a jump to deliver all of Sky TV guide. 

For that reason (and repeating myself) I'm guessing that this new service is going to be effectively some channels streamed, some local channels from Freeview and the SkyQ experience (with it's associated apps that other providers don't have). 

5 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

I generally agree on the 4k thing but caveat that with rumours of Now bringing 4k have been around for a bit too. 4k HDR might be on content that's not live (since encoders can process and refine the stream similar to lower bit rates that Netflix/Amazon do, live sport on the other hand needs more bandwidth). 

Technically I think the existing NowTV network is the source for all this and will be run on an expanded CDN service. They don't currently have a 4k streaming option so they'll need to have new encoder hardware.

4k Sport is difficult to do but BT have already shown it's possible. What will be interesting is if they use variable bit rate for 4k and the quality it delivers, I suspect there'll be users who don't have a clue and just accept what's in front of them as 4k even if the stream is poor.

I've mucked about with my network and been able to force the streaming version of BT Sport 4k to scale up and down. You can get 4k sport to run at around 10mbps and it's acceptable but not great. Sport in 4k ideally needs a  stream running at 20-30mbps to get the full resolution/60fps/HDR/Atmos impact. So far Sky have never streamed live sport above 8-10mbps. 

Do you think it's going to be similar to a BT TV product with freeview delivering the main channels ? Would be quite a jump to deliver all of Sky TV guide. 

For that reason (and repeating myself) I'm guessing that this new service is going to be effectively some channels streamed, some local channels from Freeview and the SkyQ experience (with it's associated apps that other providers don't have). 

While the general premise of NowTv and how it works will be the basis for the new product, Sky have build the SOIP network from the ground up as part of a joint venture with Comcast in the states (who will no doubt be releasing a similar product in due course) so like when SkyQ went up against the latest TiVo box at the point of release i'd expect that Sky will be aiming to launch a product that does what others can't so I'd guess things like 4k HDR on live streams and 4K live sport running well above 8-10mbps shouldn't be ruled out, likewise the full Sky TV guide

14 minutes ago, Ribble said:

While the general premise of NowTv and how it works will be the basis for the new product, Sky have build the SOIP network from the ground up as part of a joint venture with Comcast in the states (who will no doubt be releasing a similar product in due course) so like when SkyQ went up against the latest TiVo box at the point of release i'd expect that Sky will be aiming to launch a product that does what others can't so I'd guess things like 4k HDR on live streams and 4K live sport running well above 8-10mbps shouldn't be ruled out, likewise the full Sky TV guide

Actually - that's a fair point. They will want something that's quite advanced to launch so maybe they will do a selection of the freeview channels. 

As I understand the BT TV Pro STB is now wireless and is aiming to update towards a full solution without an aerial. Sky probably need to do the same to stay ahead of the game. 

With the live sport - my point was probably lost (sorry) but more about availability of bandwidth. If you've got a limited line (eg. Sub 40meg FTTC broadband) you could easily see most of your bandwidth allocated to TV services (multiroom may have some sort of forced min requirements). 

2 hours ago, Mysterion said:

Actually - that's a fair point. They will want something that's quite advanced to launch so maybe they will do a selection of the freeview channels. 

As I understand the BT TV Pro STB is now wireless and is aiming to update towards a full solution without an aerial. Sky probably need to do the same to stay ahead of the game. 

With the live sport - my point was probably lost (sorry) but more about availability of bandwidth. If you've got a limited line (eg. Sub 40meg FTTC broadband) you could easily see most of your bandwidth allocated to TV services (multiroom may have some sort of forced min requirements). 

yeah get you now, seen somewhere that it'll be limited to 3 tv's and 6 pucks (what sky are calling the dongles for non-Sky tv's) per home but imagine that would require a huge broadband connection

Just back from the launch event, Sky Glass much more impressive than I thought tbh

Some key points from memory

Available in 5 colours (black, white, green, blue and pink) and 3 sizes (Small 43, Medium 55 and large 65)

6 in built speakers for Dolby Atmos 360 sound, 215W max output

UHD Quantum Dot Screen, Resolution 3840 x 2160, Dolby Vision®, HDR 10,HLG

Voice control from TV so similar to 'xbox on' you can simply switch on the tv by saying 'hello sky', full voice search features on tv and remote

Full cross platform recording/on demand menu, so if a show has older series on Amazon Prime but the latest season is on Netflix or Sky you'll just have a single tile for that show. You can record/add shows to favourites cross platform so your recordings will show new episodes of shows from Sky, netflix, Prime, disney+, iPlayer etc

Will support video calling apps such as Zoom with background noise cancelling and an integrated 'watch together' feature is in development where you can watch the same show as someone else with Sky Glass on a video call

Biggest thing for me is the way it'll be sold, you can either buy outright or you can buy the same way as you would a mobile phone where you pay a monthly amount for the hardware (starting at £13 a month for the 43" TV over 48 months, £21 per month for the 65") as well as a monthly amount for the Sky subscription. You can then buy 'pucks' which will add the Sky Glass Interface to non-sky TV's. Sky will also offer a similar package to what they do on Mobile with 'swap' where you can pay extra but upgrade to the latest model earlier.

It's a lot of marketing for something that looks very good but is just an evolution of SkyQ. I'm not overwhelmed. 

The crux of the presentation was "Here's a new TV we've made that you can pay monthly for"

Here's why I'm not that excited about it:

The cross platform navigation is not new - it's been on other platforms for a few years with auto login/launch. SkyQ's aggregation of content is a better verion/copy of what BT TV does.

Video calling apps - that's a good idea but has never really taken off. People to this day despite multiple incarnations of integrated video/voice calls (on TVs) haven't really adopted it.

Video calls on the telly are a bit of a pain if you are trying to watch something. Most people usually use their phones/tablets whilst tv is on in the background. Feels a bit novelty and late since pandemic family Zoom calls are pretty much over.

Watch together - integration is good but already exists on other platforms (eg. BT Sport). 

Here's what I am excited about:

New set looks good & the technology is good - i actually like the price structure as part of the subscription model. 

Provision of TV channels over IP is good. Sky look to be getting there first - others are following though and have this in development. 

Have to be blunt - it's good but it's a lot of marketing. They'll sell it hard and hook some people with discounts.. DeanW will be along soon enough with an offer. :rofl:

18 minutes ago, Dean Winchester said:

Looks better than I thought. Still think the TV itself is pretty ugly though.

I'll be sticking to my Sky Q :lol: 

I move into a new gaff at the end of Nov and the thought of no cable running round the skirting, up and over doors etc has me hooked, i'll be on it the second the staff offer opens up

Dean Winchester
21 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Have to be blunt - it's good but it's a lot of marketing. They'll sell it hard and hook some people with discounts.. DeanW will be along soon enough with an offer. :rofl:

:lol: They seem to have removed the Sky Q offer so I'm hoping it will be along soon as I have some family members that want Sky but can't get it due to dish placement.

Is there a delay between the 'stream' and the broadcast being sent via satellite? Even 10-15 seconds behind could mean phones pinging with scores before you've seen it.

• 2 weeks later...

Cancelled sky about 6 months ago but maybe interested in getting Sky Q is there is a decent offer. Don't want Sports and Movies. 

Sky didn't even offer me any deal when I cancelled and had no letters from them with deals. Weird. Not inundated with letters from there. 

Anybody work at Sky with any offers at the moment? 

On 07/10/2021 at 12:42, Walter Payton said:

It'll probably be an attractive option for people who live in flats where they've been limited by having 1 communal dish. 

That would only be an issue if the owner of the dish and the building owner won't get it upgraded for Q. A communal dish shouldn't be an issue otherwise.

Walter Payton
15 hours ago, IronJambo said:

That would only be an issue if the owner of the dish and the building owner won't get it upgraded for Q. A communal dish shouldn't be an issue otherwise.

Agreed, but trying to convince either a building owner (especially if it's a housing association) to a) incur the cost of upgrade or b) arrange agreement to split the cost between individual properties can be a challenge, especially if the building owner can't find a way of making it profitable for themselves to justify their effort. I say this having had direct experience of trying to get my Sky upgraded in the flat I was living in until last year!

1 hour ago, Walter Payton said:

Agreed, but trying to convince either a building owner (especially if it's a housing association) to a) incur the cost of upgrade or b) arrange agreement to split the cost between individual properties can be a challenge, especially if the building owner can't find a way of making it profitable for themselves to justify their effort. I say this having had direct experience of trying to get my Sky upgraded in the flat I was living in until last year!

It took us 6 months to get the dish Sky Q ready. It was pretty new at the time as well (Q) so it wasn't a rush. Access is the key I guess. It only needs done once though.

Samuel Camazzola
On 16/10/2021 at 08:15, Gerd Muller said:

Cancelled sky about 6 months ago but maybe interested in getting Sky Q is there is a decent offer. Don't want Sports and Movies. 

Sky didn't even offer me any deal when I cancelled and had no letters from them with deals. Weird. Not inundated with letters from there. 

@Dean Winchesteris your guy for this info (if he's still at Sky). 

On 16/10/2021 at 08:15, Gerd Muller said:

Pretty sure you need to be out of contract for a year before any staff offers would work I’m afraid, plus staff offers haven’t been there for the last week or so, I expect the next ones will all be for Sky Glass

Dean Winchester
9 hours ago, Ribble said:

Pretty sure you need to be out of contract for a year before any staff offers would work I’m afraid, plus staff offers haven’t been there for the last week or so, I expect the next ones will all be for Sky Glass

The Q ones seem to have reappeared. @Gerd Muller feel free to PM me for a code but as Ribble said I think there are conditions around how long you have to have been away from Sky to be considered a new customer.

The Real Maroonblood
28 minutes ago, Dean Winchester said:

The Q ones seem to have reappeared. @Gerd Muller feel free to PM me for a code but as Ribble said I think there are conditions around how long you have to have been away from Sky to be considered a new customer.

Have you got any opinions on Sky Glass?

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Have you got any opinions on Sky Glass?

It'll suit some folks and others will be better off with SkyQ.

SkyQ - Better for folks that can have a dish, poorer broadband speeds/reliability and already have a decent TV & Sound system

Sky Glass - Great for those that can't have a dish, want to upgrade their tv & sound system, have good broadband speed/reliability or even for those that just want to remove multiple plugs/cables from their setup

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

It'll suit some folks and others will be better off with SkyQ.

SkyQ - Better for folks that can have a dish, poorer broadband speeds/reliability and already have a decent TV & Sound system

Sky Glass - Great for those that can't have a dish, want to upgrade their tv & sound system, have good broadband speed/reliability or even for those that just want to remove multiple plugs/cables from their setup

That’s really helpful.

Sky Glass would be my option being in a flat.

My BT contract runs out at the end of the year.

Thanks.

Dean Winchester

Yeah I think Ribble has summed it up well. I think it's a decent price point for the TV with Atmos but personally I'd get no real benefit from it with having Q already with a better spec TV.

That might change when the next iteration comes around.

20 hours ago, Dean Winchester said:

Yeah I think Ribble has summed it up well. I think it's a decent price point for the TV with Atmos but personally I'd get no real benefit from it with having Q already with a better spec TV.

That might change when the next iteration comes around.

I’m going to get Sky glass but only because we’re moving into a new house at the end of November and it’ll suit us to not have the cables run right across the living room as the wall where we will have the telly is basically dead centre of the house. 

we’ve got a decent telly but that can just go in the bedroom and we’ll retire the smaller older telly we currently have in the bedroom. 

like I said above it’s just a different option that will suit some folks and not others

Paddy Crossan

I have BT vision just now. Do people think Sky will be any better? If so I'll think about it when my contract needs renewing.

2 hours ago, Paddy Crossan said:

I have BT vision just now. Do people think Sky will be any better? If so I'll think about it when my contract needs renewing.

Depends on what your viewing habits are and what package you have with BT, if you only have the basic BT package which is effectively just the freeview channels and that meets your needs then probably no point moving to Sky but if you get NOW tv, Sports, Cinema and also watch Netflix and Prime etc then i'd say that SkyQ/Sky Glass are better than BT Vision 

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, Ribble said:

I’m going to get Sky glass but only because we’re moving into a new house at the end of November and it’ll suit us to not have the cables run right across the living room as the wall where we will have the telly is basically dead centre of the house. 

we’ve got a decent telly but that can just go in the bedroom and we’ll retire the smaller older telly we currently have in the bedroom. 

like I said above it’s just a different option that will suit some folks and not others

If you are looking for a multiroom option, you could get the main Sky Q box into a bedroom and one of the wireless multiroom hubs into the living room. 👍 Just an idea if the Q package is more cost effective and the cabling isn't an inconvenience. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

If you are looking for a multiroom option, you could get the main Sky Q box into a bedroom and one of the wireless multiroom hubs into the living room. 👍 Just an idea if the Q package is more cost effective and the cabling isn't an inconvenience. 

I work for them so package price isn’t an issue, watch most tv in the living room so prefer having the main box there so will just go with glass rather than taking Q with me

9 hours ago, Paddy Crossan said:

It depends on what you want to spend per month.

BT TV is phasing out it's TV packs and going to offer only the NowTV packs. The entertainment pack with the main channels is £10 p/m then add whatever else you need (add £15 for BT Sport or £40 for BT & Sky Sports). 

The TV channels are available on the TV guide without faffing with apps etc and are recordable (ie. use the tv guide to find the channel or learn the numbers - 357 for Sky Atlantic HD, 440 for Sky Sports Main Event HD).

Go price up Sky for a comparison. Without any introductory offers it's more expensive and that's before adding the cost of Sky glass. 

Hope this helps.

1 minute ago, Swanny17 said:

If I already have SKY Q, can I just get a SKY Glass TV for upstairs for just the £13? 

they are effectively separate systems so you’d need a glass subscription as well or you could get rid of Q and use the Glass pucks for multiroom

1 hour ago, Swanny17 said:

If I already have SKY Q, can I just get a SKY Glass TV for upstairs for just the £13? 

Is multi room not an option? 

Samuel Camazzola
11 hours ago, Ribble said:

I work for them so package price isn’t an issue, watch most tv in the living room so prefer having the main box there so will just go with glass rather than taking Q with me

Bonus! 👍 

29 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Is multi room not an option? 

Defintely, just means I need to buy another TV and SKQ mini box, but would have considered the Glass if it was only an extra £13 p/m 👍

10 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I think Sky Q is great and having been a customer for 22 years I negotiate a new deal with decent discounts every year. I get the full Sky Q package, broadband and mobile for £90 p/m. I'm sure others will get it even cheaper.

As we have a Sony OLED 65" I won't look at Sky Glass until I need a new TV and with it being totally WiFi dependant that would need to be considered. 

I think Sky are improving their broadband too, probably to augment the Sky Glass reliability but that may be me talking pish again.

There's been significant investment in Sky's output systems for Sky Glass and there will no doubt be further investment in our Broadband service (CEO has last week stated that our aim is to be no1 provider of each service, TV, Broadband and Mobile)

33 minutes ago, Ribble said:

There's been significant investment in Sky's output systems for Sky Glass and there will no doubt be further investment in our Broadband service (CEO has last week stated that our aim is to be no1 provider of each service, TV, Broadband and Mobile)

There's a lot of catching up to do on the broadband front. Sky Q is miles ahead of the Virgin thing I have now but it's essentially the same content (more actually) for a lot less but with much faster bb.

Edit: virgin/02 are going to be a monster on the telecommunications front

Edited by IronJambo

2 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

There's a lot of catching up to do on the broadband front. Sky Q is miles ahead of the Virgin thing I have now but it's essentially the same content (more actually) for a lot less but with much faster bb.

Not so sure there is tbh, yes if you are only looking at headline speeds but stability can be key, very few people actually need 100mb+ speeds

We have SkyQ running in 3 rooms. xbox, 2 personal laptops, 1 work laptop, 2 phones and a number of things such as smart lightbulbs all running off wifi and 30mb speeds are more then enough to ensure no real issues with buffering or stability

Just upgraded from SkyHD+ with multi-room to Sky Q with multi-room & recommitted my broadband as well for the next 18 months.

Thought it was time to upgrade as main HD+ box was starting to play-up, in the end got a new dish, new Sky Q box & mini box, new remotes, a new sky wifi booster and free installation & saving myself £35pm from what I was previously paying for Sky+ & BB.............happy days.

Dennis Reynolds
13 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Not so sure there is tbh, yes if you are only looking at headline speeds but stability can be key.

I think this is a great point. Working from home has obviously meant stability being key and in the 18+ months I've been working from home I can only remember a couple of times my Sky has been down. Those have also been widespread outages which are always going to happen at some point. Other than that, I've had no issues. It is very reliable compared to other companies. I know Virgin had a lot of issues at points, not sure on others though.

11 minutes ago, LMc said:

I think this is a great point. Working from home has obviously meant stability being key and in the 18+ months I've been working from home I can only remember a couple of times my Sky has been down. Those have also been widespread outages which are always going to happen at some point. Other than that, I've had no issues. It is very reliable compared to other companies. I know Virgin had a lot of issues at points, not sure on others though.

yeah I've had Virgin in the past, paying for 100+mb speed that you only get at times you don't want or need to use it, would rather pay for 50mb and get that 24/7 than have 100mb but only in the middle of the night, also lost count of how many times I had to reset the virgin router

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Not so sure there is tbh, yes if you are only looking at headline speeds but stability can be key, very few people actually need 100mb+ speeds

We have SkyQ running in 3 rooms. xbox, 2 personal laptops, 1 work laptop, 2 phones and a number of things such as smart lightbulbs all running off wifi and 30mb speeds are more then enough to ensure no real issues with buffering or stability

We were getting 70mbps through sky and my Mrs had constant problems with Teams, even when plugged directly into the router (which was a mission in itself given the lack of ethernet ports on the thing). 

No such issues since we moved to stupid speed with Virgin. We don't have a real use for 700mbps but it's nice knowing that the bandwidth is there. One of the main things I notice is when I download a UHD movie on Virgin is that it's almost instantly all available. When I had Sky i would catch up on the download before I could fast forward it to the start. A minor irritation though.

11 hours ago, Ribble said:

Whilst I agree for the most part with your opening sentence I think the 2nd one is a bit misleading.

The primary box has so many tuners built in so it can support picking up channels for the 2nd and 3rd Sky Q boxes. Unless it's OnDemand it's all over wifi on the local network and not using the broadband bandwidth.

Even if you had 3 Sky Q boxes Sky's on demand streams are highly refined at 1080i and use very little bandwidth. Realistically you're probably not running 3 on demand streams on all 3 boxes simultaneously so you've easily got at least ~20mbps spare bandwidth. Arguable that you don't have enough devices in use at one time or are not able to hammer enough devices (at anyone time) to see issues. 

The important things for ISPs going forward is traffic management for streaming video, caching of video game and O/S updates (ie. Windows, Android, iOS) to support peak releases. BT did this a few years ago and this is what Sky (and others) are doing now. 

11 hours ago, IronJambo said:

We were getting 70mbps through sky and my Mrs had constant problems with Teams, even when plugged directly into the router (which was a mission in itself given the lack of ethernet ports on the thing). 

No such issues since we moved to stupid speed with Virgin. We don't have a real use for 700mbps but it's nice knowing that the bandwidth is there. One of the main things I notice is when I download a UHD movie on Virgin is that it's almost instantly all available. When I had Sky i would catch up on the download before I could fast forward it to the start. A minor irritation though.

Sky's network has had VoIP issues for years. Packets would be delayed or dropped in the network causing issues with different VoIP service providers.