Football Books

Ivanauskas33

Ivanauskas33

I'm wondering if any kickbackers can reccomend some of their favourites. Hoping its sunny so i can get some reading done in the garden over summer. I read "Brilliant Orange" (the one about Dutch football) a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, so looking for something similar.

I also saw a bit on football focus earlier about a book called football heroes. It had loads of charactures of players and stuff, just wondering if anyone has a copy of this and what they thought of it.

Football Factory, England Away and Headhunters by John King are all reasonable. A lot about hooliganism but still worth checking.

'Verona' by someone with a second name of Parks i think. Cracking book all about his travels following Verona for a season.

The best football book I've ever read is 'The Damned Utd' about Brian Clough. I'm sure there was a thread on it not so long ago. It's a brilliant book that I can't recommend highly enough.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

A Season with Verona is an Ok read, a little slow at times

Tony Cascarino's autobiography is a belting good read.

I'm waiting on my old man finishing "as long as you dont kiss me" the Brian Clough book

The football book that I always intend to get but never do is the one by Paolo Hewitt about Robin Friday.

I am not sure if posting a picture of the cover is appropriate for the forum but put the name in google images and you will surely see the front cover. Or, put in "super furry animals" as they had a song that was a tribute to him named "The man don't give a ****".

Gigolo-Aunt

The Damned Uited is superb. Futbol the Brazialian way of Life (something like that) byAlex Bellos is very good as well. Digs deep in to the rather bizarre side of Brazilian league and International football.

Have heard a few folk say Cascarinos is brilliant. Will buy it I think.

Got Niall Quinns as a present a few years back,really enjoyed it - comes across as a decent guy. Lots of tales of the Arsenal drinking days with Tony Adams as well as a huge part in the book about Keanes walk out from the 2002 WC.

...I'm waiting on my old man finishing "as long as you dont kiss me" the Brian Clough book

Excellent read.

The football book that I always intend to get but never do is the one by Paolo Hewitt about Robin Friday.

I am not sure if posting a picture of the cover is appropriate for the forum but put the name in google images and you will surely see the front cover. Or, put in "super furry animals" as they had a song that was a tribute to him named "The man don't give a ****".

'The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw' - Another excellent read. He once kicked Mark Lawrenson in the coupon during a game, got a red card then had a dump in Lawrenson's kit bag when he got into the changing rooms... which makes him an all round good guy in my opinion.

266738-2.jpg

Ivanauskas33

Cheers for all the suggestions, I think I'll try 'The Damned Utd'. Everyone who's read it it tells me it was great.

Gigolo-Aunt
Cheers for all the suggestions, I think I'll try 'The Damned Utd'. Everyone who's read it it tells me it was great.

Fopp were selling it for 3 quid a few weeks back.

Chad Sexington

It is. ;)

jambos are go!

'Black Diamonds and the Blue Brazil' is a great/entertaining account of the fortunes of Cowdebeath FC and the decline of the Coal Industry. Really!!!

Legend, Legend, Legend.

I said I was not sure if posting the picture was appropriate yet you bulldoze in.

If you own said book btw, I expect it sent up in the courier bag tomorrow! :)

Legend, Legend, Legend.

I said I was not sure if posting the picture was appropriate yet you bulldoze in.

If you own said book btw, I expect it sent up in the courier bag tomorrow! :)

BH, BH, BH.

You're too much of a prude old man, the picture in question was some hip, young members avatar for a long time and if the mods never had a problem with it as an avatar, i figured they wouldn't have a problem with it being posted. :mw_tease:

I don't own it myself though, one of my mates has a copy - i'll see if i can borrow it from him.

BH, BH, BH.

You're too much of a prude old man, the picture in question was some hip, young members avatar for a long time and if the mods never had a problem with it as an avatar, i figured they wouldn't have a problem with it being posted. :mw_tease:

I don't own it myself though, one of my mates has a copy - i'll see if i can borrow it from him.

Mate, you remember the sixties, there is no way you could know anybody hip and young. Well, I am holding onto young by the fingernails. I have never been hip though.

As for the last bit that would be good.

shaun.lawson

1. All Played Out - Pete Davies

2. Football in Sun and Shadow - Eduardo Galeano

3. Futebol - Alex Bellos

4. Brilliant Orange - David Winner

5. Calcio - John Foot

6. The Damned United - David Peace

7. Football Against The Enemy - Simon Kuper

8. The Ball Is Round - David Goldblatt

9. The History of the World Cup - Brian Glanville

10. A Season with Verona - Tim Parks

That little lot should keep you occupied, Ivanauskas!

Ivanauskas33
1. All Played Out - Pete Davies

2. Football in Sun and Shadow - Eduardo Galeano

3. Futebol - Alex Bellos

4. Brilliant Orange - David Winner

5. Calcio - John Foot

6. The Damned United - David Peace

7. Football Against The Enemy - Simon Kuper

8. The Ball Is Round - David Goldblatt

9. The History of the World Cup - Brian Glanville

10. A Season with Verona - Tim Parks

That little lot should keep you occupied, Ivanauskas!

Cheers for that, will definately keep me occupied, probably well into next year :P

I've heard good things about Calcio aswell, so I will probably try that pretty soon too.

Morbo by Phil Ball is well worth a read.

It's the story of Spanish Football.

Seen that on Amazon. Looks pretty interesting.

Just over half way through the Damned United. Great read so far. Never seen a book written in a way it has.

Say What Again

I am not sure if posting a picture of the cover is appropriate for the forum

9781851589098.jpg

Glad you mentioned that husref, I think I'll buy that.

Say What Again

It is a great read mate but I'd buy more than just Damned United as it doesn't take long. I read it on holiday in 2 1/2 days.

Archived