Berra: The View from Ipswich Town Terraces

Deodato

Chester™

Exactly what we need. I just hope that people have a bit of realism. We're signing a journeyman not Maldini

He's played for 3 teams. He's not a 'journeyman'.

Exactly what we need. I just hope that people have a bit of realism. We're signing a journeyman not Maldini

Do we actually have any fans that know anything about football?

Berra has player for 3 pro teams in 13 or 14 years of first team action

That's about as opposite of a journeyman as you get in football these days.

Jesus wept.

But thanks for the heads up, he's not Maldini

Tommy Brown

He's played for 3 teams. He's not a 'journeyman'.

Solid career, actually more apps for both Wolves & Ipswich than Hearts

Caps: 34 for Scotland

Career: Hearts (146 apps, 5 goals), Wolves (154 apps, 0 goals), Ipswich (186 apps, 14 goals)

Whether or not he's a journeyman has nothing to do with how many clubs he's played for.

Journeyman

a worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding.

AlimOzturk

I hope we aren't putting to much pressure on Berra. Hopefully Cowie burdens some of the responsibility and their experience can drive us forward.

Elias Henry Furst

Whether or not he's a journeyman has nothing to do with how many clubs he's played for.

Journeyman

a worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding.

In British footballing terms it means something different altogether.

See here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journeyman_(sports)

In American English, a journeyman or journeywoman is an athlete who is technically competent but unable to excel. The term is used elsewhere (such as in British and Australian contexts) to refer to a professional sportsman who plays for a large number of different clubs during his career.

In British footballing terms it means something different altogether.

See here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journeyman_(sports)

In American English, a journeyman or journeywoman is an athlete who is technically competent but unable to excel. The term is used elsewhere (such as in British and Australian contexts) to refer to a professional sportsman who plays for a large number of different clubs during his career.

The distinction between American and British English certainly isn't as cut and dried as whoever wrote this Wikipedia suggests. People definitely use the original definition here and I strongly suspect that's what the OP is getting at.

Elias Henry Furst

The distinction between American and British English certainly isn't as cut and dried as whoever wrote this Wikipedia suggests. People definitely use the original definition here and I strongly suspect that's what the OP is getting at.

When used in a footballing context here, it's used to describe a player who has had many clubs.

Google 'journeyman footballer' if the wiki link isn't sufficient. Every article I could find mentions the amount of clubs a player has had.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

My interpretation of journeyman is a sports player who moves from place to place doing the job asked of him. Reliable and dependable without being spectacular.

Certainly not someone who plays for 3 clubs his whole career. I think it's slightly disrespectful tbh.

AlimOzturk

I have always thought a Journeyman pro Is someone who has played for several clubs and whilst not being spectacular has always done a good job.

When used in a footballing context here, it's used to describe a player who has had many clubs.

Google 'journeyman footballer' if the wiki link isn't sufficient. Every article I could find mentions the amount of clubs a player has had.

Well, clearly it isn't, because the OP is referring to Berra being average rather than playing for a lot of clubs (which is clearly not the case). This is the original meaning of the word and the way I've always understood it. The latter definition seems to come from a widespread misconception. That's how words take on alternative meanings I suppose.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/journeyman

Incidentally, I definitely wouldn't call Berra a journeyman in a Scottish football context.

Elias Henry Furst

Well, clearly it isn't, because the OP is referring to Berra being average rather than playing for a lot of clubs (which is clearly not the case). This is the original meaning of the word and the way I've always understood it. The latter definition seems to come from a widespread misconception. That's how words take on alternative meanings I suppose.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/journeyman

Incidentally, I definitely wouldn't call Berra a journeyman in a Scottish football context.

I suspect you're giving the poster way too much credit.

:smile:

wheatfield to sheffield

Probably our most encouraging back line since the days of MacPherson & Levein.

Get your point but I would say since Pressley and Webster

AlimOzturk

Get your point but I would say since Pressley and Webster

And to a lesser extent webster/Zal.

Which goes to show how good a servant Webster was despite his "contract" issues

Trying to remember the original footballer described as having 'more clubs than Arnold Palmer'

70/80s - before Sky invented sport.

portobellojambo1

A real captain...maybe the first one since (sorry I have to mention his name) Pressley!

Reflects the feelings of the club. It was something they mentioned, that since Pressley left HMFC there hasn't been a leader on the park. They were also aware that there wasn't anyone with aerial power, and they have sorted out both with one signing, with more to come. A super first signing off this close season for us, and if the others are players of a similar standard things start to look better for next season (surely there hasto be someone out there somewhere who can play left back, might even end up being someone a little closer to home who has been overlooked (maybe looking to get Gary Naysmith training again and slot him in :) )

rudi must stay

35 caps for Scotland. He could stroll this league , says alot that Rangers wanted to nick him just so Hearts couldn't. I'd say the less realism the better

Anyone that doesn't think Berra is a great signing for us, really doesn't understand football.

Easily best CB in the country outside Celtic.

Archived