Unexpected, random and brilliant musical discoveries

muldoon74

I was born int he 70's, grew up in the 80's, found my feet in the 90's and lost the noughties trough drink and shit jobs...

I was youtubing tonight while wife caught up with some sky+ crap (we've been away for a few days) and came across a *** brilliant band..

|Started off listening to a bit of Poison, Quiet Riot, Great White etc...

Came across a band called "Precious Metal".. never heard of them back in the day..

Absolutely *** loving them now! All female band kicking the ass of the likes of bon jovi and bryan adams fora start.. real good 80's metal.

Give them a listem.. awesome stuff so far!

Has anyone else stumbled upon a wee gem of a band, singer etc?

Another to ad to my list is Brandi Carlile... Beautiful, awesome musician and top class voice..

One of my favourite bands is The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.

I'd never heard of them but saw a CD in a shop in the early nineties and as I was listening to a lot of blues at the time bought it due to their name and the fact they looked pretty cool on the cover. Got home and played it. Jesus Christ it was good, not "real" blues though. The best way to describe it was someone trying to force a New York punk band to make a Blues album. 25 years later they remain a favourite and one of the best live bands on the planet.

North Berwick Jambo

I once downloaded an album by accident, it was by a band called syntax and it was called Meccano Minds & I was blown away just how good it was! I recognised one of the songs as the official song from the game "Driver" and after a bit of research online I discovered the band broke up soon after it was released which is a shame when you hear how good each track was.

Check out the comments on YouTube ;)

Whiskeytown.

Read about them in the NME.

Going by their interview went out and ordered their new release.Strangers Almanac.

Brilliant stuff,my journey with Ryan Adams had started.

Also discovered Shed Seven by accident..

Heard a tune on the radio and thought it was shed seven..

bought the album..

wasn't on it..

Turns out it was " SAndstorm" by Cast.. (also brilliant band)..

However Shed Seven are still *** awesme to this day... fates a funny thing..

Unknown user

I went into john menzies in Dalkeith with one of my first wages, determined to buy something I didn't know from the bargain cd basket

The gods looked down with great benevolence and sent me home with Something Else by The Kinks - utterly blew my mind, and to this day they're still my favorite band. Just the best.

Fitzroy Pointon

I was in Sainsburys years ago and bought a Northern Soul compilation for ?3. Couldn't believe it when I listened to it. Now I spend hours on YouTube discovering new (to me anyway) tracks. Totally changed my taste in music.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

crunchy frog

The missus youtubed me a band called Southern Culture on the Skids the other week. Can't believe I've missed them before. Similar to The Supersuckers. Ace.

The female bass player's stage name is Mary Huff which amused me no end :D

zoltan socrates

Discovered mitch murder on youtube, fantastic foray into the world of 80s synthepop

Apparently been about since 2010 ish, discovered a fortnight ago

I've got tons of random stuff because I spent ages when I was younger going through YouTube and going to hundreds of gigs. Metalhammer helped massively as well.

I suppose I could discount bands like Alestorm since they weren't random being Scottish and actually meeting them. My 2 favourite random discoveries would be Hardcore Superstar and Korpiklaani.

The band? Still have their album on vinyl. :)

Me too until recently.

Restless days and the face. Rock the Hoose! :D

I was in Sainsburys years ago and bought a Northern Soul compilation for ?3. Couldn't believe it when I listened to it. Now I spend hours on YouTube discovering new (to me anyway) tracks. Totally changed my taste in music.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Northern Soul blew me away when I stumbled across it.

Also discovered Shed Seven by accident..

Heard a tune on the radio and thought it was shed seven..

bought the album..

wasn't on it..

Turns out it was " SAndstorm" by Cast.. (also brilliant band)..

However Shed Seven are still *** awesme to this day... fates a funny thing..

Two of the most underrated band of the 90's !

Touring together later this year too !  :wow:

Me too until recently.

Restless days and the face. Rock the Hoose! :D

Yeah loved those singles, should have done much better. Remember seeing them on Blue Peter! Actually Blue Peter had some random guests...like Denim :D

Fitzroy Pointon

Two of the most underrated band of the 90's !

Touring together later this year too !  :wow:

All Change was an outstanding album.  Played at every house party in the summer of 1996.  

Youtube is amazing for this

Also discovered Airbourne, Dragonforce and Steel Panther on it aswell as rediscovering A Flock of Seagulls, Voice of the Beehive and a plethora of other 80s pop and burds i fancied at that time.

Archived