Car Insurance - What are my options?

Italian Lambretta

Italian Lambretta

Due to the fact I use my van as my only mode of transport my car has sat idle in the car park and only been used on one occasion in the last 6 months.

My insurance is due at the end of the month and I'm loathed to pay nearly ?200 for a car that will probably go knowwhere anytime soon.

I've not decided yet what to do with the car thats why I still have it. I will continue to put Tax on it but I don't want to pay for insurance If I don't have too.

What are my options and whats the legal position with the DVLA on this?

The DVLA send their camera vans round where I live all the time so I wouldn't get away with not insuring it If I need too?

The Old Tolbooth

Even if you only use it once every 6 months, it still needs to be insured mate.

The only way around it is to not use it, and declare it as off the road, then you won't have to insure it. Do you have anywhere you could store it until you decide whether you want to sell it or not?

If you decide to keep it, then drop your insurance cover to third party only and it should work out cheaper than fully comp, or third party fire and theft.

Italian Lambretta

Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere to keep it.

Already have it insured for Fire & Theft but the lowest quote I've had is ?146.00

A bit much for the use of car that will only be run to keep the battery life up.

Even if you only use it once every 6 months, it still needs to be insured mate.

The only way around it is to not use it, and declare it as off the road, then you won't have to insure it. Do you have anywhere you could store it until you decide whether you want to sell it or not?

If you decide to keep it, then drop your insurance cover to third party only and it should work out cheaper than fully comp, or third party fire and theft.

The Old Tolbooth

I'd be tempted to stick it in Ad Trader or something similar mate, seems like a cost/burden you don't really need, bit like a wife ;)

coppercrutch
Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere to keep it.

Already have it insured for Fire & Theft but the lowest quote I've had is ?146.00

A bit much for the use of car that will only be run to keep the battery life up.

But that is for a year. A year when you can take it out whenever you want it knowing you are covered for anything other than damage to your own car. Not really that poor a deal?

Or just take Mr Mitchells advice and sell it !!

PS. You would be fine if you were in NZ,Oz or Canada. Once you pay your annual registration fee you are covered for 3rd party automatically. IIRC.

The Old Tolbooth

Road tax on top of the insuarnce bumps it up to nearer the ?300 per year mark, it becomes an expensive commodity really when you think that it could more or less pay for a season ticket by getting rid ;)

Jambof3tornado

I assume you would get a hefty discount if you pointed out that the car was being used for a very limited mileage,ie less than 1000 miles a year(unless your 1 use per 6 months is to drive to calais and back!!!)

Italian Lambretta

unfortunately Not!

Looking at the Pay as you go insurance suggests that you can switch off your insurance if and when you want too.

Therefore, am I wrong in thinking that if I don't use it, I don't have to insure it?

When I do want to go somewhere on a trip for maybe a weekend or week I can then get insured for 2 week period?

What I really need to know is if the car sits in the communal car park and is not used - do I need to insure it?:confused:

I assume you would get a hefty discount if you pointed out that the car was being used for a very limited mileage,ie less than 1000 miles a year(unless your 1 use per 6 months is to drive to calais and back!!!)

Italian Lambretta

Just add to what I've just posted - I've had a look at the DVLA website and it states that it's a legal requirement to have Car Insurance if you are driving a car. (pretty obvious I know!

That would suggest to me that If I don't drive, I don't need insurance?

However, it will still have to be taxed because its on the public highway.

Don't you need the insurance and MoT certificates when purchasing the car tax?

If you're using it as infrequently as that - couldn't you just sell it and hire a car whenever you need one? If it's only once every 6 months surely you'd be ?? up?

Unless, of course, your car has some sentimental value.

Boaby Prentice

A mate of my brother has a car he only uses at the weekend and drives his delivery van on weekdays.

I can't remember who, but there is an insurer that offer insurance for more than one vehicle as long as only one is being used at a time. It works along the lines of the vehicle you are driving is insured fully comprehensive and the other is third party but it?s very cheap.

Admiral also do a great deal to insure two vehicles at a very discounted rate.

Italian Lambretta

just stuck it on Auto Trader for sale. As some posters have said there is no point paying for a car that won't be used.

coppercrutch
just stuck it on Auto Trader for sale. As some posters have said there is no point paying for a car that won't be used.

Think this could be the answer..

http://www.citycarclub.co.uk/me.php

Cars in Edinburgh:

http://www.citycarclub.co.uk/club_office.php#2

If you are only using occasionally and for short journeys this could be a plan..;)

Archived