• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Locky

• Son Of Anarchy

• The Real Maroonblood

• Stupid Sexy Flanders

14 hours ago, trago13 said:

Saw the video locky. Brilliant pal. Your germans better than your english btw. So gutted i couldnt make it this year. 

It’s improving everyday! So is my German. :lol:

Well done Locky, I'd imagine it takes baws to stand up in front of 60 odd thousands punters and speak in their language!! What was the gist of your chat, did you talk about the Hearts? Is there any video of it?

Well done again, and big respect to yourself (and any other Jambo) who spreads the word far and wide????

...due to your commitment, I've now adopted Shalke as my German team and will fully embrace them* from here in Edinburgh. 

*look out for their results and occasionally watch them if they're on telly. And maybe follow them on twitter?

I understand that they added the 04 to their name on 2nd April 2006.

Is that right?

Top club.

2 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Well done Locky, I'd imagine it takes baws to stand up in front of 60 odd thousands punters and speak in their language!! What was the gist of your chat, did you talk about the Hearts? Is there any video of it?

Well done again, and big respect to yourself (and any other Jambo) who spreads the word far and wide????

...due to your commitment, I've now adopted Shalke as my German team and will fully embrace them* from here in Edinburgh. 

*look out for their results and occasionally watch them if they're on telly. And maybe follow them on twitter?

I got told the Friday night i’d be doing it and could barely sleep for nerves. A few beers helped though. Most of my chat was in English, I only said one phrase in German which got me a loud cheer!

I was just asked what attracted me to Schalke and what I like about the club. Also what the difference is like between Scottish games and German games.

The phrase at the end was ‘schieb den Bayern die schale in den arsch!’. Which literally translates to, ‘Bayern, stick the trophy up your erse!’.

My friends from Germany are planning a trip to Edinburgh to hopefully come to a Hearts game next season. Anyone here is welcome to join us all for a few beers!

• 4 years later...

A grand total of 23 Schalke fans (and Hearts sympathisers) will be over this weekend and in hospitality for the St Mirren game. A few of us Edinburghers will be with them, so don't be alarmed when a group of near 30 mostly Germans gatecrash your pre and post match pints this weekend. :) 

Also a big thanks to Garry Halliday from FoH. This Sunday I'll be attending Tynecastle for my plot ceremony, and Garry kindly booked us a table of 10 people so some of the Germans can join me on what is bound to be a special day.

3 minutes ago, Locky said:

A grand total of 23 Schalke fans (and Hearts sympathisers) will be over this weekend and in hospitality for the St Mirren game. A few of us Edinburghers will be with them, so don't be alarmed when a group of near 30 mostly Germans gatecrash your pre and post match pints this weekend. :) 

Also a big thanks to Garry Halliday from FoH. This Sunday I'll be attending Tynecastle for my plot ceremony, and Garry kindly booked us a table of 10 people so some of the Germans can join me on what is bound to be a special day.

If I was a Schalke fan, I think I’d be relieved to be well away from Germany on match days…

Heartsofgold
40 minutes ago, leginten said:

If I was a Schalke fan, I think I’d be relieved to be well away from Germany on match days…

You have seen how WE are playing recently yes?

The Real Maroonblood
42 minutes ago, Locky said:

I hope everyone has a great time.

6 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

You have seen how WE are playing recently yes?

Indeed, but my deeply ingrained masochistic streak will ensure that I’m there on Saturday! Have a wee feeling that we’ll turn up against St Mirren and get a result.

Edited by leginten

Heartsofgold
2 hours ago, leginten said:

Indeed, but my deeply ingrained masochistic streak will ensure that I’m there on Saturday! Have a wee feeling that we’ll turn up against St Mirren and get a result.

Funny, I'm feeling exactly the same mate.

LochcarronJambo
3 hours ago, Locky said:

Brilliant ! 

3 hours ago, Locky said:

Hope you and our German friends have a great day.

On 08/04/2023 at 21:01, The Real Maroonblood said:

Locky, apart from the performance and result how did the day go?

Saturday and Sunday were both terrific games with the match literally being the only negative.

I was going to sit in my normal seat while the Germans were booked in the Strongbow Lounge, but due to a late call off in the party I attended with them where the staff were brilliant, and both Garry Halliday and Gary Mackay came to introduce themselves  and took a lot of time out to speak with us.

On Sunday, I was booked in for my plot ceremony and Garry Halliday kindly offered as many of the group to come along. Again, we were all very well looked after and had a fantastic day out.

The group returned to Germany today and the feedback has been nothing but positive. As Schalke Fans, they understand Saturdays result more than we can imagine. But regardless, the club certainly left an impression on them once again.

I sat next to this group in section S and OMG they are passionate about the club, loved how they were going mental in German at such a shite performance!!

Fair play lads and lassies 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

3 minutes ago, Locky said:

Saturday and Sunday were both terrific games with the match literally being the only negative.

I was going to sit in my normal seat while the Germans were booked in the Strongbow Lounge, but due to a late call off in the party I attended with them where the staff were brilliant, and both Garry Halliday and Gary Mackay came to introduce themselves  and took a lot of time out to speak with us.

On Sunday, I was booked in for my plot ceremony and Garry Halliday kindly offered as many of the group to come along. Again, we were all very well looked after and had a fantastic day out.

The group returned to Germany today and the feedback has been nothing but positive. As Schalke Fans, they understand Saturdays result more than we can imagine. But regardless, the club certainly left an impression on them once again.

Thats amazing :) Really glad they all had a great time, kinda sounding like you've built a supporters club!! 

Lets hope both clubs return to winning ways again. Been very strange watching Schalkes decline in recent years. One of the biggest clubs in Germany IIRC? 

The Real Maroonblood
17 minutes ago, Locky said:

Delighted everything went well.

12 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I sat next to this group in section S and OMG they are passionate about the club, loved how they were going mental in German at such a shite performance!!

Fair play lads and lassies 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

They sure are. They were very disappointed with the lack of atmosphere even in light of the performance and result but I tried to explain there is of course a cultural difference between UK and Germany.

Although the big chap in the orange trackie who was out his seat shouting quite a lot was in fact myself. :lol: 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Locky said:

They sure are. They were very disappointed with the lack of atmosphere even in light of the performance and result but I tried to explain there is of course a cultural difference between UK and Germany.

Although the big chap in the orange trackie who was out his seat shouting quite a lot was in fact myself. :lol: 

👍

10 minutes ago, OTT said:

Thats amazing :) Really glad they all had a great time, kinda sounding like you've built a supporters club!! 

Lets hope both clubs return to winning ways again. Been very strange watching Schalkes decline in recent years. One of the biggest clubs in Germany IIRC? 

In Germany, the size of a club is ultimately dictated by members, which IIRC, Schalke has the 2nd most amount of members, even more than Borussia Dortmund which is quite astonishing. Despite this, they’ve never won the Bundesliga, and have only a few German cups to really show for it. Sounds familiar eh? :lol: 

The current situation has basically manifested from years of poor recruitment, selling the best talent at every opportunity and also very poor management. After last nights defeat to Hoffenheim, a 2nd relegation in 3 years is definitely on the cards. Very sad to see.

Luckies1874
12 minutes ago, Locky said:

In Germany, the size of a club is ultimately dictated by members, which IIRC, Schalke has the 2nd most amount of members, even more than Borussia Dortmund which is quite astonishing. Despite this, they’ve never won the Bundesliga, and have only a few German cups to really show for it. Sounds familiar eh? :lol: 

The current situation has basically manifested from years of poor recruitment, selling the best talent at every opportunity and also very poor management. After last nights defeat to Hoffenheim, a 2nd relegation in 3 years is definitely on the cards. Very sad to see.

Noticed they have Hertha Berlin who are a place above them in 2nd bottom spot at home on Friday night, basically a must win game if they are to have any chance of survival. 

19 minutes ago, Locky said:

Hahaha, yeah, very!!

Its wild a club with such vast resources can get itself into so much trouble. I hope they're able to straighten themselves out again and sort out the rot that has led them to that point. Sounds like a change in board and general leadership might get them there. As you say, 2nd most members in Germany, so to be staring relegation in the face again is utterly ridiculous. What a shame for them :(  

I'm sure its more complicated than that though!! 

8 hours ago, Locky said:

Hahahahaha amazing, I was the row behind next to your pal in the black jacket who was going bananas :)

10 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Noticed they have Hertha Berlin who are a place above them in 2nd bottom spot at home on Friday night, basically a must win game if they are to have any chance of survival. 

Yeah Sunday's match was the same against Hoffenheim, which Schalke lost 2-0. 7 games to play and 5 from safety so plenty can happen, but I think the mood is now that the new manager boost is wearing off, and if they struggle to beat the teams around them then it's rather ominous.

2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Hahahahaha amazing, I was the row behind next to your pal in the black jacket who was going bananas :)

Brilliant! They had fun at least. :D 

3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Least the DBF don't protect clubs just because they have a large supporter base.

That's very true. Make no bones about it, no Schalke supporter is blaming anyone else but the people who were entrusted with making the correct decisions. The situation is what it is, but their support remains. It's up to the current and future personnel to sort this mess out.

As most clubs in Germany are effectively fan owned, transparency is the key. And from what I understand, the club were very vocal about their expectations this season, which due to a real lack of finances, was about as low as you can get. Surviving relegation really seemed to be the only positive outcome. Fingers crossed it can still be achieved.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
On 10/04/2023 at 23:27, Locky said:

I watched a wee bit of the Hoffenheim game the other night, 15,000 S04 fans at an away game, when they're down the bottom of the league, is incredible. I'd love to go across to a game one day. 

34 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

I watched a wee bit of the Hoffenheim game the other night, 15,000 S04 fans at an away game, when they're down the bottom of the league, is incredible. I'd love to go across to a game one day. 

It turned out to be 19,500 according to one of my German friends! Better yet, the Hoffenheim ground only holds 30,000. They are a great bunch the Schalke fans. They'll literally travel in their thousands by any stretch necessary just to watch their team. There's an ideology behind and it runs deep throughout the culture of the club.

You'd love it mate. Keep an eye on this thread as there may be an opportunity in time.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
1 hour ago, Locky said:

It turned out to be 19,500 according to one of my German friends! Better yet, the Hoffenheim ground only holds 30,000. They are a great bunch the Schalke fans. They'll literally travel in their thousands by any stretch necessary just to watch their team. There's an ideology behind and it runs deep throughout the culture of the club.

You'd love it mate. Keep an eye on this thread as there may be an opportunity in time.

👍🏻 

Luckies1874
On 11/04/2023 at 10:18, Locky said:

Yeah Sunday's match was the same against Hoffenheim, which Schalke lost 2-0. 7 games to play and 5 from safety so plenty can happen, but I think the mood is now that the new manager boost is wearing off, and if they struggle to beat the teams around them then it's rather ominous.

Brilliant! They had fun at least. :D 

Out the traps tonight mate.

2 up after 20 minutes including this beauty 

• 1 month later...
Luckies1874

Ouch! 

Schalke with a huge late goal to get what could be a big point only to see Bochum equalise in the 95th minute to put things back in their own hands. Means if Bochum win at home next weekend then there is nothing Schalke can do to avoid at best a play off and even that is in real danger now as Stuttgart have a game in hand and much more favourable fixtures (Schalke go to Leipzig!). Whoever ends up in the play off is likely to face Hamburg.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who picked up a programme on Saturday, you might have noticed our very own @Iron Blue 1983 was interviewed on a double page spread about the connection, with a few photos of the group (myself included) to boot. 

As an aside, I didn't pick one up. Does anyone know if there's still a way to order online?

45 minutes ago, Locky said:

For anyone who picked up a programme on Saturday, you might have noticed our very own @Iron Blue 1983 was interviewed on a double page spread about the connection, with a few photos of the group (myself included) to boot. 

As an aside, I didn't pick one up. Does anyone know if there's still a way to order online?

https://www.curtis-sport.com/heart-of-midlothian-fc

On 22/05/2023 at 15:27, Wee Mikey said:

Go, Die Knappen!!

Screenshot_20230522_151810_Gallery.jpg

Go on Mikey! Sadly back down to 2.Liga we go :( 

50 minutes ago, Locky said:

Took a few hefty doings but 4 consecutive 0-0s Jan/Feb? Aaaargh!!!

Dortmund 2nd on goal difference must be a sore one too for them.

• 8 months later...
Phil D. Corners
On 31/05/2023 at 14:15, Rick James said:

👀

7b58961a-d6ef-4d24-8b45-b1612f812dc4.jpeg

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Phil D. Corners said:

👀

I noticed that the other day.

Certainly in a bad way. 

Shooter McGavin

Quite incredible how a club as big as Schalke, who are also fan owned I believe, can fall as far as they have.

Doctor FinnBarr
4 hours ago, Phil D. Corners said:

👀

Don't worry, the SPFL will sneak them back in calling them Schalke1690

4 hours ago, Phil D. Corners said:

👀

All what it's at present but the potentially dire consequences that could fall the clubs way in the coming months. A situation that's barely worth thinking about, but also thankfully, could be a distant possibility.

4 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Quite incredible how a club as big as Schalke, who are also fan owned I believe, can fall as far as they have.

Indeed a club who take the German tradition of fan ownership very seriously. Its perhaps this very desire to stick with tradition that is in fact killing the club. But, despite that, the fans of Schalke are very proud of their refusal to conform to modern football ways and I genuinely think a large section of the fanbase would rather die trying to do the right thing than selling their souls to succeed.

10 hours ago, Jeff said:

Am I the only Jambo that follows Stuttgart?

I take an interest after our games with them.

3 of us were taken out on the town by VFB fans after the first leg.

I have a ticket to a Hamburg game early March and hoping to see 1860 in April. Schalke need to get the finger out and survive in B2 this season. Would love to go to one of their games in B2 next season. They are a huge club and it’s a shame they’ve ended up where they are right now.