Video Refs

A Boy Named Crow

A Boy Named Crow

I'm just back from the A-League semi final between Sydney FC and Perth Glory. Sydney scored in the first half, but there was a hint of offside, the ref went to the video ref to see if the goal should stand, then gave the goal.

I've seen this in other sports, but never in football. Is this just something they are trialling down here, or has it been rolled out around the world?

For what it's worth, it didn't really disrupt the game (the video ref was consulted twice), and I'd be for it, if it would help stamp out some of the blatant cheating/weak decisions we've seen from our officials in the oaft.

As you said it will catch out incompetent officials. It doesn't take longer than goal line technology. I'm all for it.

A Boy Named Crow

In saying that, they did get the offside call wrong for the first one...and missed the common assault by the keeper in the goal mouth!

...a bit disco

Being used in the bundesliga next season I think

Fine for one of the more progressive leagues in European and World football. The SFA/SPFL though...

giphy.gif

As you said it will catch out incompetent officials. It doesn't take longer than goal line technology. I'm all for it.

A good enough reason for the SFA not to go near it with a lengthy bargepole

Phil D. Corners

It was used in a France v Spain international recently.

I also think it's coming in for the next World Cup.

I'm just back from the A-League semi final between Sydney FC and Perth Glory. Sydney scored in the first half, but there was a hint of offside, the ref went to the video ref to see if the goal should stand, then gave the goal.

I've seen this in other sports, but never in football. Is this just something they are trialling down here, or has it been rolled out around the world?

For what it's worth, it didn't really disrupt the game (the video ref was consulted twice), and I'd be for it, if it would help stamp out some of the blatant cheating/weak decisions we've seen from our officials in the oaft.

It's getting trialled at different events. China also as well as various internationals.

It's on its way as standard thing soon.

Footballfirst

Most referrals shouldn't take any longer to decide than it takes a keeper to collect the ball and take a goal kick, so I don't agree with "it will stop the flow of the game" arguments.

avhudtheteeshirt

Much as I am in the use it camp, how does Scottish football afford it?

EPL have multi cameras at every game with both SKY and BT, in Scotland we have Periscope footage from most of the games and the bigger games outwith Celtic and Rangers only have 1 camera in a high position usually so not much good for seeing incidents around the penalty box!

I think it would take a massive investment from Scottish football just to get it off the ground.

Also we have 4 referees at every game at the moment this would take it up to 5, unsustainable!!!!

been here before

I think Im one of the few people who think its a good idea but dont want to see it introduced.

One of the ingrained passions that make football the game it is is the controversies, the debates, the feeling of being persecuted, the belief in conspiricies etc etc.

There's still debate 50 year later about Hursts 1966 goal, Leigh Griffiths free kick goal that never was in the derby a few years ago.

Contencious decisions and human falibility are part and parcel of the game and have been for well over 140 years.

Over the years the game has changed to almost a non contact sport, played in all seated stadia in a more and more sterile atmosphere. We need the controversy, we need the 'we wuz robbed', we need the feelings of paranoia and we all need the decisions that we see better from 100 yards away than a referee and linesman who are 6ft away.

For me video refs and the like run the risk of removing that.

hughesie27

I was at the Melbourne v Perth game last week and they used the video reds there for an off the line clearance. Been going to the games all season and this is the first time I've seen it used.

Sooperstar

I'm pro video ref but to say the offside incident you refer to didn't disrupt the game is nonsense. It takes about 3 minutes to clear it up and then they make the wrong decision!

PeterintheRain

I think Im one of the few people who think its a good idea but dont want to see it introduced.

One of the ingrained passions that make football the game it is is the controversies, the debates, the feeling of being persecuted, the belief in conspiricies etc etc.

There's still debate 50 year later about Hursts 1966 goal, Leigh Griffiths free kick goal that never was in the derby a few years ago.

Contencious decisions and human falibility are part and parcel of the game and have been for well over 140 years.

Over the years the game has changed to almost a non contact sport, played in all seated stadia in a more and more sterile atmosphere. We need the controversy, we need the 'we wuz robbed', we need the feelings of paranoia and we all need the decisions that we see better from 100 yards away than a referee and linesman who are 6ft away.

The single worst excuse for allowing corruption there has ever been.

"Yeah. I know St Mirren threw their last match to give Celtic the League Title. But think of all the banter we've had in the last 31 years.  Much better than justice being done and cheats punished."

"I know Robbo scored the winner in the 1992 semi-final but God how glorious was the debate in the pub afterwards.  Much better than being in a final"

Proper video replay and stop the scum from fixing matches for their pets in the Glasgow slums and their mini-mes from Lochend.

been here before

The single worst excuse for allowing corruption there has ever been.

"Yeah. I know St Mirren threw their last match to give Celtic the League Title. But think of all the banter we've had in the last 31 years. Much better than justice being done and cheats punished."

"I know Robbo scored the winner in the 1992 semi-final but God how glorious was the debate in the pub afterwards. Much better than being in a final"

Proper video replay and stop the scum from fixing matches for their pets in the Glasgow slums and their mini-mes from Lochend.

Peter doesn't do hysterical melodrama...

maroonedinoz

I was at the Melbourne v Perth game last week and they used the video reds there for an off the line clearance. Been going to the games all season and this is the first time I've seen it used.

It was only introduced two rounds before the finals started.

The coaches wanted it in for the finals supposedly.

My view..................the video allows the officials to review something in slow motion that they may have missed in the heat of the moment.

It won't eliminate human error, but it WILL reduce it.

The Treasurer

So you think using something that would expose the blatant cheating and bias towards certain clubs would spoil the game  :conf11:

Personally I'd rather be back in the pub discussing how we won 3 points rather than moaning about a sellik player diving to rob us of victory

been here before

So you think using something that would expose the blatant cheating and bias towards certain clubs would spoil the game :conf11:

Personally I'd rather be back in the pub discussing how we won 3 points rather than moaning about a sellik player diving to rob us of victory

Aye, thats it, aye.

The Treasurer

Aye, thats it, aye.

Seems to me that's exactly what you are saying.

The present system favours two clubs in particular and we have been on the receiving many times, costing us games/points.

You seem to think it would "take something away" from the game if those "honest mistakes" were rectified and we got the correct decision in our favour just because we wouldn't be able to seethe in the pub after the game.

been here before

Seems to me that's exactly what you are saying.

The present system favours two clubs in particular and we have been on the receiving many times, costing us games/points.

You seem to think it would "take something away" from the game if those "honest mistakes" were rectified and we got the correct decision in our favour just because we wouldn't be able to seethe in the pub after the game.

Aye. You've nailed it.

Right there.

Archived