Euro National Anthems (NHC)

Fat Striker

Fat Striker

I think it's pretty important to have a stonking great tune to fire you up before a match.

Watching Euro 2008 you can't help but notice that certain anthems are as dull as dishwater.

What would be your top three as heard in these Championships?

Mine would be

1. Russia

2. France

3. Croatia

*Though honorable mentions must go to Italy and Germany.

Commander Harris

The Russian anthem is a cracker. The spanish one's good too - I know all the words! ;)

shaun.lawson

To be fair, I think the French and Russian anthems are, along with the American one, two of the best three in the world. I'm quite taken by the Romanian and Portugese anthems too though.

shaun.lawson
The Russian anthem is a cracker. The spanish one's good too - I know all the words! ;)

It does have words, you know: I've listened to the version with lyrics on Youtube.

Commander Harris
It does have words, you know: I've listened to the version with lyrics on Youtube.

not officially it doesn't. there have been a few attempts to put words to the tune but none have been recognised as the national anthem.

I learn them though F1

that's my favourite set of lyrics for it "na na na na na na na na na na na na na ...." :D

Commander Harris

can we expand this world wide? The Japanese Anthem "Kimi ga yo" is the best anthem ever! closely followed by Peru. :)

I'm a sad git when it comes to anthems and other patriotic songs, tis a bit of an interest of mine.

shaun.lawson
can we expand this world wide? The Japanese Anthem "Kimi ga yo" is the best anthem ever! closely followed by Peru. :)

I'm a sad git when it comes to anthems and other patriotic songs, tis a bit of an interest of mine.

I just listened to the Peruvian anthem. What is it with Latin America, eh? They really put us to shame!

I prefer this one though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu0j_3Ud4Jk&feature=related

:)

I have to say the Japanese and Peruvian anthems don't do it for me. The Russian anthem is a cracker, but my favourite anywhere has to be this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpYogExUngU

May not be a popular choice but forgetting the politics, the All Ireland Anthem they play before Rugby Union games has to be one of the most rousing Anthems around.

May not be a popular choice but forgetting the politics, the All Ireland Anthem they play before Rugby Union games has to be one of the most rousing Anthems around.

Yep. Leaving aside the politics, I posted a video here of the anthems played before the Six Nations game between Ireland and England at Croke Park in February 2007. That performance of Ireland's Call still gives me the shivers - and all three anthems sound absolutely superb. You can find it on Youtube.

The Vulture

Favourite European ones would be the Welsh.

The NZ national anthem of NZ could be the only song which is sung in 2 languages (Maori and English)

Commander Harris

do you mean Ireland's call? A cracking tune I'd agree, but lyrically it's rather twee and cliche ridden. although I can understand the need for a unifying anthem that is sensitive to all parties and that writing lyrics for such an anthem must be extremely difficult. while we're on the subject, dare I say I quite like the Irish anthem!(purely from a musical point of view)

Yep. Leaving aside the politics, I posted a video here of the anthems played before the Six Nations game between Ireland and England at Croke Park in February 2007. That performance of Ireland's Call still gives me the shivers - and all three anthems sound absolutely superb. You can find it on Youtube.

I think it's a superb anthem. Wish we'd come up with it before the Corries??? wrote Flower of Scoltand:mad:

Gimme an H...

I know we aren't there but this thread gives me an excuse to post this, on the night our dreams of gettin to Austria and Switzerland were put to bed we sang one of the best renditions of 'Oh Flower of Scotland' I've ever been a part of.

If you fast forward to about 50 seconds you'll skip the teams coming out etc.

do you mean Ireland's call? A cracking tune I'd agree, but lyrically it's rather twee and cliche ridden. although I can understand the need for a unifying anthem that is sensitive to all parties and that writing lyrics for such an anthem must be extremely difficult. while we're on the subject, dare I say I quite like the Irish anthem!

That's the one. The tunes great and the chant of "Ireland, Ireland" would have been better had we got hold of it first.

The Welsh anthem always makes what's left of my hair stand on end.

How can anyone not mention the Italian anthem.

I heard the NZ anthem on the radio this morning listening to the England game : quite unusual in that in starts off in Maori and then ends in English.

Commander Harris
The Welsh anthem always makes what's left of my hair stand on end.

How can anyone not mention the Italian anthem.

I heard the NZ anthem on the radio this morning listening to the England game : quite unusual in that in starts off in Maori and then ends in English.

the South African national anthem does something similar.

1st verse is in Xhosa and Zulu(2 lines each), 2nd verse is in Sesotho, 3rd in Afrikaans and the 4th in English.

lyrically it's rather twee and cliche ridden.

But they're all twee and cliche ridden. That's the point. :biggrin:

Commander Harris
But they're all twee and cliche ridden. That's the point. :biggrin:

fair point. :biggrin:

Ray Winstone

Wales and Ireland have particularly rousing anthems.

I always liked the Italian one.

jamboinglasgow

three of the best,

no. 3 the russian, as done brillantly in hunt for red october

no.2 Irelands Call, I am around lots of N. Irish people with my rowing and when drunk they sing this like mad. Great song and rousing song.

No. 1 (and cant believe this has not been put yet) THe Australian national anthem. Watched Australia v Japan in the world cup on a big screen in Melbourne among 3000 Oz's. Hearing them sing this put my hairs up on end. Great song.

Stewart MacD
three of the best,

THe Australian national anthem. Watched Australia v Japan in the world cup on a big screen in Melbourne among 3000 Oz's. Hearing them sing this put my hairs up on end. Great song.

"Advance Australia Fair"??? It's as much a dirge as GSTQ. Even worse when they have some pop star/tart singing it with their own variations.

Give me La Marseillaise or the Russian one. Yeltsin changed it but Putin brought it back.

The Aussie players (footbal) now have adopted the vile American hand-on-heart habit.

Sorry, off topic, but I feel better now.

Stewart MacD

beautifully solemn.

That's a great version. I have a couple on tape from other games, but that tops them.

Charlie-Brown

Unfortunately the sentiments behind this one got them into trouble once or twice.

WeeToonJambo
Unfortunately the sentiments behind this one got them into trouble once or twice.

I was friendly with an old man who spent 5 years as a "guest" of the Germans from 1940 to 1945 having been captured at St. Valery. The mere mention of that anthem was enough to have him spitting with rage. It is a rousing tune though.

coppercrutch

The Russian anthem is a cracker.It is not actually the Russian anthem though. It is the old Soviet anthem with a few choice words shifted about in it - that were deemed 'not acceptable' by the people anymore.

Now everyone sings it with pride and realises it is a ****ing great tune. They don't seem too bothered about what it used to stand for. They are happy to sing it for what it is today.

Wish us narrow minded Hearts fans could do the same..............;)

Denny Crane

My own particular favourites are: France, Wales, New Zealand, Italy & Germany.

faves: welsh, french, italian,russian, and german. the yanks one can be good, but its been done to cheesey hell by popstars and now it makes me cringe listening to it.

Worste: english(they should go for land of hope and glory, much better tune), dutch(boring!!), australian(sounds like a hymn),leichtenstein

Guest S.U.S.S.
not officially it doesn't. there have been a few attempts to put words to the tune but none have been recognised as the national anthem.

that's my favourite set of lyrics for it "na na na na na na na na na na na na na ...." :D

What about "Hullo Hullo we are the Spanish boys?;)

bilston angel

France closely followed by Russia, and others put our dirge into the second division

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yXrEK-O0uXs

The worst anthem has to be god save the queen, it's dire. England should go for Jerusalem, which is a cracking tune.

Also somewhat obnoxiously GSTQ is the UK national anthem as opposed to the English one. So it represents that confusing England and Britain thing that really annoys people.

I reckon they should use

There'll always be an England

While there's a country lane,

Wherever there's a cottage small

Beside a field of grain.

There'll always be an England

While there's a busy street,

Wherever there's a turning wheel,

A million marching feet.

There'll always be an England,

And England shall be free

If England means as much to you

As England means to me.

Saul Goodman

Nice to see big phil sing the portugese anthem even thou he's brazilian, think terry butcher will follow suit?

Dirk Diggler
The Russian anthem is an adaptation of the soviet one. Hate both versions with a passion.

Bigot.

;)

Denny Crane
What a shock Toggie in a swipe at England, forgot to mention the embarrassment that is Flower of Scotland i notice.

He's in full agreement though with ex-England rugby international Brian Moore (a very proud Englishman) who described GSTQ as "a dirge".

For what its worth. I've only heard one great rendition of Flower of Scotland -the same time as Moore no doubt did. March 1990 at Murrayfield. Since then it has turned into a "how can the band/opera singer balls this one up" contest. Anyone remember the Kirin Cup match v Japan two years back?

Lombardia Jambo

The best ones, in my opinion, are the Czech Republic and Hungary. Solemn and very emotional !

What a shock Toggie in a swipe at England, forgot to mention the embarrassment that is Flower of Scotland i notice.

You seem to miss out the fact that I said Jerusalem was a cracking tune! It's also solely English.

And did those feet in ancient time

Walk upon England's mountains green

And was the holy lamb of God

On England's pleasant pastures seen

And did the countenance divine

Shine forth upon our clouded hills

And was Jerusalem builded here

Among those dark Satanic mills

Bring me my bow of burning gold

Bring me my arrows of desire

Bring me my spears o'clouds unfold

Bring me my chariot of fire

I will not cease from mental fight

Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand

'Til we have built Jerusalem

In England's green and pleasant land

Guest S.U.S.S.
You seem to miss out the fact that I said Jerusalem was a cracking tune! It's also solely English.

And did those feet in ancient time

Walk upon England's mountains green

And was the holy lamb of God

On England's pleasant pastures seen

And did the countenance divine

Shine forth upon our clouded hills

And was Jerusalem builded here

Among those dark Satanic mills

Bring me my bow of burning gold

Bring me my arrows of desire

Bring me my spears o'clouds unfold

Bring me my chariot of fire

I will not cease from mental fight

Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand

No i didnt miss it, i never commented on it, i commented on your dig at the national anthem.

Guest S.U.S.S.
He's in full agreement though with ex-England rugby international Brian Moore (a very proud Englishman) who described GSTQ as "a dirge".

For what its worth. I've only heard one great rendition of Flower of Scotland -the same time as Moore no doubt did. March 1990 at Murrayfield. Since then it has turned into a "how can the band/opera singer balls this one up" contest. Anyone remember the Kirin Cup match v Japan two years back?

Ah right, one englishman doesnt like it, lets dump it then.

By that rational Flower of Scotland is well out the door, when done well its great, when not (more often than not) its crap.

Yes, the japanese anthem is pretty good. I've always loved the old East German anthem. Brilliant!

Lynn:ninja:

Denny Crane
Ah right, one englishman doesnt like it, lets dump it then.

By that rational Flower of Scotland is well out the door, when done well its great, when not (more often than not) its crap.

Oh for goodness sake. Where did I say dump GSTQ?

The East German anthem was something of a classic

I love that anthem!! :mj_zivili:

Archived