13 Reasons Why

hughesie27

Imagine a few of you will have watched this in the last few weeks. 

Great TV but pretty harrowing watch in a few scenes. 

Would imagine a 2nd season might be in the works however it could easily stand on it's own.

Decent soundtrack too.

Say What Again

I haven't watched it (the bursd has) but my mate watched all 13 episodes on Tuesday!

Ferryjambo99

Came across the book, then found out its a tv series. Prefer the book but I've found the series interesting

Watched first 5 episodes with the Mrs and it's good.She has read the book which she thought was really good and that the TV show is doing a good job of the book.

Folk at work have been raving about it so I looked in to it a bit. From the bits I've managed to gather, it sounds like a roided up version of Degrassi Junior High.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Our schools district sent this email out about it earlier today to all families with kids in the district. It appears that it's generating some conversation and not all positive.

Dear Pony Families,

In recent days we?ve heard discussions both within Stillwater Area Public Schools and across the nation regarding a new Netflix series called ?13 Reasons Why,? based on a fictional novel by Jay Asher. The series (which is rated TV-MA for mature audiences) depicts the journey of a high school student who dies by suicide, leaving behind tapes detailing the events that she perceives led to her death.

Although this series has been promoted by the creators as a tool to help students recognize their impact on others, suicide prevention professionals are becoming increasingly concerned about the mature nature of the series, as well as misconceptions and misinformation about suicide. While the show is compelling and dramatic, the concern many educators and mental health professionals share is that it does not accurately model what we would want or hope individuals would do if they are struggling or in crisis.

Death by suicide is something that occurs in all communities. It doesn?t discriminate. Many of our students and families have been impacted by suicide in some way, and shows like ?13 Reasons Why? can bring about many complicated questions for our students. Our intent in sending this letter district-wide is to make families aware of this series and provide you with resources and information should you and your child choose to watch ?13 Reasons Why.?

We encourage you to review the following resources for more information about the series, talking points about the show, and a discussion guide:

The Jed Foundation and (SAVE) Suicide Awareness Voices of Education

Common Sense Media - click on the tab called ?Families Can Talk About? for discussion topics related to the show

There's no reason to buy '13 Reasons Why' imagery (Star Tribune)

?13 Reasons Why? depicts a graphic suicide. Experts say there?s a problem with that. (Washington Post)

As always, if you have individual concerns about your child related to mental health, or need additional resources, please contact your child?s school. We have counselors, social workers, psychologists and administrators available to support your child and your family, as well as connections to many community resources like Family Means and Youth Service Bureau.

Stillwater Area Public Schools are committed to supporting the social and emotional needs as well as the academic needs of our students.

Thank you for partnering with us to care for the children of our community.

Denise Pontrelli, Superintende

Our schools district sent this email out about it earlier today to all families with kids in the district. It appears that it's generating some conversation and not all positive.

Dear Pony Families,

In recent days we?ve heard discussions both within Stillwater Area Public Schools and across the nation regarding a new Netflix series called ?13 Reasons Why,? based on a fictional novel by Jay Asher. The series (which is rated TV-MA for mature audiences) depicts the journey of a high school student who dies by suicide, leaving behind tapes detailing the events that she perceives led to her death.

Although this series has been promoted by the creators as a tool to help students recognize their impact on others, suicide prevention professionals are becoming increasingly concerned about the mature nature of the series, as well as misconceptions and misinformation about suicide. While the show is compelling and dramatic, the concern many educators and mental health professionals share is that it does not accurately model what we would want or hope individuals would do if they are struggling or in crisis.

Death by suicide is something that occurs in all communities. It doesn?t discriminate. Many of our students and families have been impacted by suicide in some way, and shows like ?13 Reasons Why? can bring about many complicated questions for our students. Our intent in sending this letter district-wide is to make families aware of this series and provide you with resources and information should you and your child choose to watch ?13 Reasons Why.?

We encourage you to review the following resources for more information about the series, talking points about the show, and a discussion guide:

The Jed Foundation and (SAVE) Suicide Awareness Voices of Education

Common Sense Media - click on the tab called ?Families Can Talk About? for discussion topics related to the show

There's no reason to buy '13 Reasons Why' imagery (Star Tribune)

?13 Reasons Why? depicts a graphic suicide. Experts say there?s a problem with that. (Washington Post)

As always, if you have individual concerns about your child related to mental health, or need additional resources, please contact your child?s school. We have counselors, social workers, psychologists and administrators available to support your child and your family, as well as connections to many community resources like Family Means and Youth Service Bureau.

Stillwater Area Public Schools are committed to supporting the social and emotional needs as well as the academic needs of our students.

Thank you for partnering with us to care for the children of our community.

Denise Pontrelli, Superintende

It's rated M for a reason. By virtue of that it shouldn't really be considered as an education tool for kids.

There's an obvious anti-bullying message in it but clearly the girl killed herself from the get go.

Is it just me or does the boy Alex look like Calum P?

Just you m8. Heard him and Justin are a real life item.

I loved the show, not going to lie.

Absolutely loved it but was hard to watch at times, especially the last few episodes. The way it ended makes it seem like there will another season but as Hughesie said would also make sense if it was just standalone.

A lot of it was good to watch. A lot of great acting from a young cast, but it had a few problems too.

The way some of the characters behaved is simply not how you'd behave in real life. Especially the two who had done the least wrong... they simply would not have protected the ones that had done a lot more wrong (trying not to give away spoilers).

Once you get to the end, you think back to the earlier episodes and there's no way things wouldn't have come out sooner.

I've not read the book but I've seen reviews that have said half the number of episodes would have covered it...

I did enjoy it in a lot of ways, but it was pretty depressing. It almost makes you want to not have kids because it reminds you what absolute welts kids are when they are teenagers and how terribly they treat each other.

• 3 weeks later...

All those 15 year olds.

All those tattoos :gok:

On tape 7 & im fed up with it. Have to see it through now though.

Might give game of thrones a shot after this though.

Sent from my VFD 600 using Tapatalk

Archived