The NASA Shuttle

Miller Jambo 60

Miller Jambo 60

Just touched down and safe after a 2 week mission.

The runway they landed on is 3 miles long.

Find that hard to believe.

Just touched down and safe after a 2 week mission.

The runway they landed on is 3 miles long.

Find that hard to believe.

Brings it home.

These shuttle missions are never routine. From the second they re-enter the atmosphere they become the fastest glider in the world so once they touch down they take alot of stopping.

I heard an analogy once. Landing those things on a runway is the equivalent of a darts player being 2 miles from the board, aiming for the bullseye and getting it. Not sure how much truth is in that, but the whole space shuttle mission is still an amazing feat.

I don't know if it would need the entire 3 miles of runway. The shuttle hits the ground only 50 miles an hour faster than an airline jet.

The whole process of re-entry is still a huge feat of techonology and science though...

Craig-Section Z
I don't know if it would need the entire 3 miles of runway. The shuttle hits the ground only 50 miles an hour faster than an airline jet.

The whole process of re-entry is still a huge feat of techonology and science though...

But it cant slow down in the same way as an airline jet can, it basically just has to go till it comes to a stand still.

Ive seen the runway at cape canaveral and its huge, everything about the shuttle program is huge, with the exception of the shuttle itself.

Miller Jambo 60
But it cant slow down in the same way as an airline jet can, it basically just has to go till it comes to a stand still.

Ive seen the runway at cape canaveral and its huge, everything about the shuttle program is huge, with the exception of the shuttle itself.

Great they came back .

Love space and all that hard prep for a good adventure.

Shame Britain cant get a wee shot in space.

A thought

I know it doesn't have the same reverse thrust braking a conventional jet does, that's why it deploys a parachute but cant do that until it's slowed down to about 70mph as it would get ripped off.

Archived