Edinburgh marches

Sandy Clark

Sandy Clark

I noticed yesterday (Saturday) there was a march and counter march in Edinburgh city centre.

I'm sure there are supporters and detractors for each of these things but I'm curious (a) who authorises marches b how much do they cost © who pays for them and (d) is there a criteria you have to meet to set up a march.

Seymour M Hersh

I would imagine the council gives them the ok. The police, police them, meaning the Scottish Tax Payer covers that cost. I have no idea if there is a list of things or criteria you have to have to apply for a march or mass meeting.

As far as I can tell yesterdays "marches" were some group of wanna be fascist idiots and the anti-facist amalgam of troublemakers always spoiling for a fight idiots countering this. I think if the anti fascists just let the 20 or 30 noodle-heads have their wee meeting (suitably policed) it would stop all the bother. It would also hardly make the news thereby starving them of the oxygen of publicity (they're so desperate for). But 200 anti fascists turning up determined for a scrap, imo, totally inflames the situation and turns an easily policed situation into a potential riot. But that's just my opinion.

Archived