The Humble Scotch Pie.

Dix Handley

Dix Handley

When was the last time you ate a scotch pie and actually enjoyed it!

Have 4 pies in the fridge, but dont think think i can stomach the

quasi-mince slurry jelly that passes for a filling nowadays.

I remember enjoying them when i was a wean, but now i have such

a educated pallet;)..they give me the dry boaks.

(God, wish i was single fished then there would be NO problems!:dribble:)

pieb.jpg

MMMMM!..MMMM!..

If i have a hangover I buy one when at Tynecastle. Seems to cure me. :wacko:

The Old Tolbooth

Some of the fillings in pies nowadays are rank!

You used to get loads of real meat in pies with some seasoning, now you get the offal, the fatty rubbish which has been dropped on the floor and scooped up with sawdust and dead fingernails, packed with grease to make it look good, and sold to us as the real deal.

That's why I prefer a decent butchers pie because there aint many bakers pies I would trust.

chester copperpot
Some of the fillings in pies nowadays are rank!

You used to get loads of real meat in pies with some seasoning, now you get the offal, the fatty rubbish which has been dropped on the floor and scooped up with sawdust and dead fingernails, packed with grease to make it look good, and sold to us as the real deal.

That's why I prefer a decent butchers pie because there aint many bakers pies I would trust.

TBF though mate, you aint exactly fussy when it comes to eating. ;)

chester copperpot
Says Twiggy! ;)

I may have taken far too many drugs as a youngster, but I swear I can see a face in that pie at the top of the thread. Looks like its yawning.

boy_in_maroon
I may have taken far too many drugs as a youngster, but I swear I can see a face in that pie at the top of the thread. Looks like its yawning.

never noticed it 'till you mentioned it made me laugh :):)

Stuart Lyon

Who you calling pie-face?

On a serious note Bain's the butcher at Saughton do a mean mince pie as does the one opposite the Carrick Knowe pub.

There is also a butchers in Peebles that does brilliant mince pies. Unfortunately don't go down to Peebles too often.

chester copperpot

On a serious note Bain's the butcher at Saughton do a mean mince pie as does the one opposite the Carrick Knowe pub.

There is also a butchers in Peebles that does brilliant mince pies. Unfortunately don't go down to Peebles too often.

They do the best Mince and Onion bridie's in the world.

Bains pies are excellent - but McGills in Currie top them - they are just superb.

The White Cockade

my wife's Uncle was recently world scotch pie champion

his pies are superb

get yourself down to Boghall Butchers in Bathgate

also does steak pies, stew pies, haggis pies etc etc

Jambojohnnyboy

Best mince pie i ever had was in Eyemouth, but these days I'd recommend the butcher in Bruntsfield for Scotch Pies.

They do the best Mince and Onion bridie's in the world.

That they do, it's just unfortunate that the last time I was in the butcher felly was a cantankerous cheeky pain in the arse.

coppercrutch

If you like pies there is only one place you need to go IMO. New Zealand. Their pies are immense. Even non-pie lovers can't get enough.

I used to deliver pies for this place. Finished work by noon, free to go fishing, and all the pies you can eat for free. Heaven.

http://www.keripies.co.nz/index-1.html

jambos are go!
Bains pies are excellent - but McGills in Currie top them - they are just superb.

Both are brilliant but I dont think they are Scotch Pies. They are Mince and gravy pies. I think a Scotch Pie should be a mutton pie and almost stodgy. Most are just stodge nowadays IMO.

chester copperpot
That they do, it's just unfortunate that the last time I was in the butcher felly was a cantankerous cheeky pain in the arse.

Should've smacked him in the face. ;)+

+ Andy does in no way condone violence in any way kids.

I'm about to get stuck into an individual steak pie from Dalbeattie Fine Foods who hails from Dalbeattie funnily enough.

Currently Alan Elliott the butcher, hold's the 2007 Scottish Haggis & Tradional Steak Pie Championship. No bad for a lad who came across Cookstown N.I. with nothing much to his name 'bout 5 years ago, and a nicer lad you'd struggle to meat. :)

Does a superb range of Scotch (mutton) Pies, Steak Pies & Mince Rounds and all other manner of stuff butcherly.

Archived