Turkish Airlines... Any good?

Fraggle1990

Fraggle1990

Going to Thailand in November, looked on skyscanner and its Turkish Airlines who are offering the cheapest flights, when i've been to asia before it was with Emirates or Qatar. Are they good to fly with or pay the extra for the other airlines?

Bungalow Bill

I was under the impression they were now one of the best. Yet to fly with them myself though.

Most folk rave about Qatar but I had a horrendous experience with them.

AlphonseCapone

I was under the impression they were now one of the best. Yet to fly with them myself though.

Most folk rave about Qatar but I had a horrendous experience with them.

I'm flying with Qatar next week. What was your experience?

Qatar are tremendous. Turkish not quite so good. The food's certainly interesting, but the overall experience is a bit tinpot.

Fraggle1990

Mixed response, think ill bite the bullet and go with them. 28 hours in total worth of travelling though....!

Admittedly I was in business class, but it was bloody tremendous. Also, the lounge at Istanbul is one of the nicest places I have ever been, inside or outside an airport

They've got a good reputation and if you are only passing through it'll be fine. In fact Ataturk airport is probably secure as... given events of the last year.

My criteria for a flight is

1. Select cheapest flight.

2. Confirm my seat is inside the airplane.

3. Purchase ticket.

Am I doing it wrong?

Bungalow Bill

I'm flying with Qatar next week. What was your experience?

I was flying Melbourne to Doha and as I got on the seat there was a terrible smell of sick in the vicinity of my seat. When we got to cruising position, I got the TV out from the side of my seat (I had an exit row seat), and the TV was covered in someone's sick. They must have thrown up over it on the flight to Melbourne.

Anyway, I alerted the stewardess who cleaned it and cleaned the floor too, the smell was still bad though. I then went to watch the now clean TV, but it wasn't working, probably due to the mashed carrots being in the TV unit! So, no TV for a 14 hour flight, so they offered me 'reading material'! Great I'll read for 14 hours! But, the light didn't work either! I guess the entire electrics for my seat were goosed from the sick. So there was me thinking I'd get an upgrade, nope nothing. It was miserable. I complained, but all they offered me was some Q-Miles, but I'm reluctant to fly them again. The turnaround in Doha was also very short, although I believe this has been addressed.

They won't be as bad as Ryanair so that's a plus.

I don't get why everyone criticises Ryanair. I've flew with them several times with no problems.

Turkish Airlines were recently in the top 5 airlines in the world. Can't remember where I seen that though.

Worst airline I've been with has to be British Airways. Cabin crew were stuck up snobs who liked an argument.

Edit: Correction: they were 7th, so top 10. http://www.worldairlineawards.com/awards/world_airline_rating.html

My criteria for a flight is

1. Select cheapest flight.

2. Confirm my seat is inside the airplane.

3. Purchase ticket.

Am I doing it wrong?

You're doing it right if all you want is the cheapest flight available.

Some people want better connections or a more convenient flying time, more leg-room, better food, friendlier service, larger range of entertainment etc.  So they would probably look at it differently.

Anyway, Qatar is better than Turkish in my opinion, but in the main, Turkish is 100% fine.

Alwayssunnyingorgie

They won't be as bad as Ryanair so that's a plus.

Ryanair is OK, when I have used them they have departed on time and landed safely, I dunno what else they could offer for ?20-?30. Just take food and something to occupy yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Found BA and KLM both good.

Never flew with Turkish.

As for Ryan Air. Used them once, with no issues, though there CE is a bit of a knob.

Doctor FinnBarr

Found BA and KLM both good.

Never flew with Turkish.

As for Ryan Air. Used them once, with no issues, though there CE is a bit of a knob.

We've flew to Barcalona Reus (for Salou) for ?6 return and Majorca for ?10, as long as your prepared to put up with cramped conditions its fine. O'Leary is a knob right enough

I mean ?6, can't get a day return on the train from Bathgate to Edinburgh for that

Aye, decent if you want your case delivered to your hotel 3 weeks late and 4 days after you've already flown home.

Ryanair are great for the prices you pay.

For some reason you get the odd bumpy landing with them though.:)

I don't get why everyone criticises Ryanair. I've flew with them several times with no problems.

Turkish Airlines were recently in the top 5 airlines in the world. Can't remember where I seen that though.

Worst airline I've been with has to be British Airways. Cabin crew were stuck up snobs who liked an argument.

Edit: Correction: they were 7th, so top 10. http://www.worldairlineawards.com/awards/world_airline_rating.html

The BA flights from Edinburgh to Gatwick are a joke. No legroom whatsoever. The ones to City are much better. Only flown internal with them.

Archived