Pub Golf...

tommythejambo

tommythejambo

Anyone ever played it?

Was just trying to think of any decent venues for this in Edinburgh.

Played it in Leith, starting just off Bernard St. A while ago and didn't go down too well with locals.

Aside from somewhere like Rose St. I can't think of many other venues.

Not sure what you mean by pub golf.

But been to Urban Golf in London. Basically pick your course and you hit your shots at the screen. If it's the same it good fun and the birds in London who serve up the beers make up for the crap golf.

tommythejambo

But been to Urban Golf in London. Basically pick your course and you hit your shots at the screen. If it's the same it good fun and the birds in London who serve up the beers make up for the crap golf.

Nah different games.

Pub golf involes touring a "course" of pre-selected pubs (either 9 or 18) and going into each one with a pre-determined drink e.g. a pint of Lager, which has to be drank in a "Par" e.g. 3. You add up your score at the end, and who ever has taken the least drinks loses.

Nah different games.

Pub golf involes touring a "course" of pre-selected pubs (either 9 or 18) and going into each one with a pre-determined drink e.g. a pint of Lager, which has to be drank in a "Par" e.g. 3. You add up your score at the end, and who ever has taken the least drinks loses.

Speak to Toggie88.

I'm sure he's organised one before and he offered to do me some scorecards for my 21st.

done it in rose street years ago, only 9 holes so went for it, by the end i was 6 under, thats feet not par...totally mental game:confused:

I P Knightley
Anyone ever played it?

Played it in Leith, starting just off Bernard St. A while ago and didn't go down too well with locals.

Only the once.

18 'holes' in Nottingham. 18 holes-in-one.

I was much younger back then - 23, I think.

Can't imagine too many stretches of pubs in Edinburgh where you'd manage all 18. Many start down the New Town and finish up in Rose St, where they'd be pretty tolerant of you?

christhejambo

This is a real student favourite. Weve done in many a time in Aberdeen, and its usually great banter if you're doing it with mates. Last time was fairly horrendous, and had most of the lads attempting a hole-in-one in most pubs- resulting in absolute carnage by about the tength hole.

What about the Grassmarket for Edinburgh? Loads of pubs/bars, and if your running out just continue along into the Cowgate.

Nah different games.

I sort of thought when I posted my reply I was being a bit of a stupid ersehole. Unfortunately I was right:confused:

Only the once.

18 'holes' in Nottingham. 18 holes-in-one.

I was much younger back then - 23, I think.

Can't imagine too many stretches of pubs in Edinburgh where you'd manage all 18. Many start down the New Town and finish up in Rose St, where they'd be pretty tolerant of you?

Could maybe start at The Crofters in Sighthill and work your way East.

Take in the majority of pubs in Gorgie/Haymarket before getting the the centre.

tommythejambo
I sort of thought when I posted my reply I was being a bit of a stupid ersehole. Unfortunately I was right:confused:

I could see where there was a possible misunderstanding.

I take it you all get dressed up as comedy type golfers aye?

I did it a few weeks ago in NJ, we all went and bought stuff form the ladies section of WalMart.

Got some funny looks but it was great fun.

Everybody got a hole in one on the Guiness "hole"

I'd suggest Grassmarket then up Candlemaker Row to the pubs around there

jamboinglasgow

theres a venue which does that in Edinburgh at the new building at the canal basin. Played there with my brother, Dad and one of my dad's friends. Great fun and good banter. Played better than my normal round of golf.

As for pub golf. Done that twice, one good and one bad. The good one I got 7 holes in one and two holes of downing it in two (would of been 8 holes in one but did not know the rules when I had a scotch and coke.)

Second time I didn't really drink that much, got to then end in the Glasgow uni union and was in the dance floor with my ex (who I had been going out with for a week) and who was absoultly hammered and she was heavily flirting with some guys (as she often did, she got mad that I was jealous at that. Sometimes girls dont realise that what they might deem as harmless flirting is actully quite hurtful to their boyfriends.) Anyway I made a passing comment to one guy who was getting a bit close and just said to him that I was her boyfriend and she got mad and I said something harmless like I will get a drink when she suddenly storms off upset. Bump into one of her friends looking for her and she said that my ex had gone home very upset, so I ran after her and caught up with her in tears claiming that I had said "she was not worth the effort" something I would never say. Anyway after a talk for 20 mins she went to bed, me worried I had seriously upset her only to find next day she could not remember the previous night or any of the argument.

The morale of this long story, dont bring your girlfriend to pub golf unless you plan to get as drunk as each other.

p.s. downing a guiness in one was one of the hardest things I have ever done and I am proud I did it

Anyone ever played it?

JamboBen might still have a good 18 holes on his PC. PM him;)

Isaac Begbie

The Royal Mile is a decent venue, you dont have to start at the bottom. Try from the Tass/Worlds End and work up the way. Should be able to fit in 18 holes, if not just include a couple of pubs from maybe top of Cockburn St/George IV Bridge.

:)

The Gillette Soccer Saturday game is better IMO.

Get a big carry out and watch Jeff Stelling on SSN.

Every time a player gets sent off down whatevers in your hand.

Own Goal = 2 shots.

Advertisement break = 1 shot

A crazy football fact that only Jeff would know = 3 shots

A moment of Kris Kamara getting excited = 2 shots.

Every time that scouse Phil is bias towards the pool = down a pint

You can make up any rules you want before hand eg. hat tricks, certain players scoring = ???shots etc.

Usually finished and tucked up in bed by 4.45.

PS. This games for the "part time fan" who cant be arsed going to tynie every other weekend ;)

buca junior

Played it 2 years ago during the world cup. Great Fun! We had 2 team of 4 all dressed in team colours. The Course we played was as followed

1) Links Bar - Pint Lager

2) Golf Tavern - Voda Dash

3) Hendricks - Gin & Tonic

4) Home Street - Jack and Coke

5) Illict Still - Pint Cider

6) Uluru - Aftershock

7) Chanter - Wkd

8) El Barrio - Corona

9) Bar Alba - Whisky Dash

10) Biddy Mulligan's - Guiness

11) Bar Salsa - Tequila Slammer

12) Subway Cowgate - Smirnoff Ice

13) Opium - Sourz

14) Red Vodka Bar - Vodka shot

15) Chasers - VK

16) Rush - Bacardi Dash

17) Globe - Reef

18) Tron - Sambuca

Would recommend doing a practice 9 holes a few days before. We went into liquid rooms and practiced downing pints of Guiness cos I hate the stuff. We took the event seriously and stuffed the opposition.

Obviously some bars have now changed hands but you can ammend it slightly. Don't think Hendricks valued our custom much though.

I've done the nine before, 18 is just being silly! We did it up Broughton St and ended up in the Street, which was quite an experience.

Archived