Homegrown leaders

Muirhead

The debate around having too many foreigners for a derby misses the point for me. Skacel et al got the Derby because of home grown leaders such as Presley, Hartley and gordon. For me singling out individual foreign players with pedigrees last night and pretending they are worse than they are just doesn't add up. The balance of the squad is to blame because if you bring in so many foreign players you need the homegrown leaders to lead them. I don't see one Scottish influence at the club who can do that and that is why we continue to lack desire in a derby . Sam, walker, Hamilton etc are just not going to ensure the foreign guys get it - they are nice laddies but not leaders

Our coaching staff mirrors that - I've no doubt they are talented but any team must have individuals whose skill set complements each other. Our coaching staff appear to be very similar and study the game in a thoughtful way but there's no one with obvious leadership skills who will inspire foreign guys into getting the derby

The blueprint seems to be to mix academy kids with foreign bargains - for this reason I can't see our derby record changing

The debate around having too many foreigners for a derby misses the point for me. Skacel et al got the Derby because of home grown leaders such as Presley, Hartley and gordon. For me singling out individual foreign players with pedigrees last night and pretending they are worse than they are just doesn't add up. The balance of the squad is to blame because if you bring in so many foreign players you need the homegrown leaders to lead them. I don't see one Scottish influence at the club who can do that and that is why we continue to lack desire in a derby . Sam, walker, Hamilton etc are just not going to ensure the foreign guys get it - they are nice laddies but not leaders

Our coaching staff mirrors that - I've no doubt they are talented but any team must have individuals whose skill set complements each other. Our coaching staff appear to be very similar and study the game in a thoughtful way but there's no one with obvious leadership skills who will inspire foreign guys into getting the derby

The blueprint seems to be to mix academy kids with foreign bargains - for this reason I can't see our derby record changing

I think we miss Buaben in midfield for these games. He gets the derbies.

I think we miss Buaben in midfield for these games. He gets the derbies.

He would've added a bit mobility to a pedestrian midfield . Ideally we need at least 5 who get the derby to ensure the foreign guys learn to get it. The fact we are talking about cowie and buaben sums it up for me

Archived