Importing smokes (legal brain needed)

Professor.Arturo

Professor.Arturo

Ok, any lawyers online? I was looking into buying some ciggies online. There are a lot of sites, mostly based in places like Lithuania, Poland etc. Now I know you can personally bring in cigs from EU countries for your own use (up to 3000 I think) Now the countries these sites are based are part of the European Union, so would I be ok ordering maybe 600 or 800 from them? as in, could customs seize them? For the cost, its probably worth the risk anyway....200 Marlboro are 17 Euros (about ?13).

Maybe someone on JKB already get their cigs this way? then let me know the results plz. :)

Just an example of one of the sites:

http://shop.tsmoke.info:88/eusmoke/

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Ok, any lawyers online? I was looking into buying some ciggies online. There are a lot of sites, mostly based in places like Lithuania, Poland etc. Now I know you can personally bring in cigs from EU countries for your own use (up to 3000 I think) Now the countries these sites are based are part of the European Union, so would I be ok ordering maybe 600 or 800 from them? as in, could customs seize them? For the cost, its probably worth the risk anyway....200 Marlboro are 17 Euros (about ?13).

Maybe someone on JKB already get their cigs this way? then let me know the results plz. :)

Just an example of one of the sites:

http://shop.tsmoke.info:88/eusmoke/

Don't do it. They'll be cheap **** fakes.

yeah , but you can still sell them for ?30 a box :)

The key word in your original post is "bring". What you can legally import when you are travelling with the goods is completely different to what you can buy for separate shipping. (I discovered this after making a purchase in the States which was too big to take on the plane).

The HM Revenue & Customs website has lots of info. These pages will be of particular interest.

Professor.Arturo

You might be right, but ?13 a carton aint too big a deal to find out. The Golden virginia I buy at the pub is fake stuff, you can tell by the smell compared to a pouch bought in Tesco.......but its perfectly smokeable.

Anywayz, back to the question, anyone know the legal stance?

Anywayz, back to the question, anyone know the legal stance?

See my post above which must have been simultaneous with yours!

Sexton Hardcastle

Surely the States and countries within the EU differ tho?

Maybe a few hearts boys mite cut youa wee business deal?

Surely the States and countries within the EU differ tho?

The principle is the same. ("Bringing" versus "Importing").

The link I provided tells you all you need to know about buying booze and cigs from abroad on the web.

Professor.Arturo
See my post above which must have been simultaneous with yours!

God they make things sound complicated! half of that would have been as well written in Chinese!!!

But, from what I could gather, its legal to send for them, but if the package gets checked I'd have to pay the duty on them, correct?

So its worth the chance as only a random amount of packages are opened and checked.

That's about the size of it.

Only do it if:

1) you trust the quality of the goods

2) you trust to luck that the parcel won't get intercepted.

Archived