Over analysis and too much coaching

Billy Walsh

Sorry to start another thread, but find myself commenting on multiple threads with similar comments.

My main worry, and this goes back to the Neilson days too, is that we are forgetting the absolute basics and are relying on too much analysis, leading in turn to too much coaching. The players are drilled (almost double sessions) over and over. The management team need to release the shackles the remind the players that they are good footballers and let them play with relative freedom.

Going onto Cathro, and I didn't see this at the time, but it feels like he has to over compensate. Because he doesn't have that ''dressing room'' knowledge or what have you, he has to over analyse and think too much about his coaching methods. It would probably work with bigger clubs like Newcastle and Valencia, but let's not forget he was just a coach there, and not the main man. Since Sunday we should have been drilling the players about what it means to beat Hibs, teach them the rivalry and what it means to fans. Get them really fired up, and afterwards focus on the football side of it.

I think this will be the downfall of Ian Cathro sadly. I hope I'm wrong as it was a bold and brave appointment and I was very much on board with it.

This is exactly what I have been thinking is wrong too for a long time.

You just wish sometimes they would tell the players to go out and enjoy/express themselves and get on with the game.

The players just don't look like they know what they are supposed to be doing.

We have cornered the market in players who pass backwards and sideways.

Archived