Butcher the Main Man???

lou

Not convinced of any of the 3 names on the shortlist, I think I would be happier with Butcher as manager with perhaps big Elvis as his assistant

itsnomarooned

I do like the idea of Butcher but not convinced of him as the main man. Not enough water under the bridge yet I feel for Pressley to return.

Rudolf's Mate

Agreed.... If he's held in such high regard then why are we not going for him as manager!

Kind of got desperate when Thor was mentioned and thought we HAD to pursue it however now the dust has settled realised that it was more panic than anything else!!!

Would be happy with Butcher.

I would be happy with almost anyone as long as they had full responsibility for footballing matters. One can but hope.

Butcher is the man i'm really excited about but wouldn't want him as manager. I wouldn't have had a preference between Thor and Weiss if Butcher wasn't in the equation. I know he hasn't had the best record as a manger but he should bring the passion back to the dressing room and hopefully will pick up a few tips from Burley. ;)

We_are_the_Hearts

Butcher got lucky getting McFadden and Pearson through the Youth System.

Main man he aint. I like the idea of him as Assistant though for motivational and coaching roles.

Guest JamboRobbo
Butcher got lucky getting McFadden and Pearson through the Youth System.

Main man he aint. I like the idea of him as Assistant though for motivational and coaching roles.

At the same time, he did help them come through and turn into excellent players.

And bringing through youth does seem to be the way we want to go.

Say What Again

Would not be at all happy with Butcher as 'gaffer'.

He was average with Motherwell and has been disastrous everywhere else.

Sacked from Sunderland - with the club in the drop zone of League 1

Sacked from Sydney - after only 9 months in charge

Sacked by Brentford - also after only 9 months. (a certain poster who's a fan of Brentford might be able to give a bigger insight into his time there - I assume I can't name the poster).

I like this from Wiki:

After a poor run of results, including only 5 wins in 23 matches, and under increasing pressure from the fans who had been chanting the name of former boss Martin Allen, he left Brentford on 11 December 2007.

We_are_the_Hearts
At the same time, he did help them come through and turn into excellent players.

And bringing through youth does seem to be the way we want to go.

How much influence he had is debatable? One things for sure I would be happy with him there to kick a few butts and to motivate the younger players. Just feel we would need someone a bit sharper and tactically aware as the main man.

Not convinced of any of the 3 names on the shortlist, I think I would be happier with Butcher as manager with perhaps big Elvis as his assistant

I would be happier with Burley as the manager. Both have the same chance of happening.

Where do you buy your drugs about Lou because they must be a bit strong for you if you reckon Butcher would be a good Manager.

He is total rank and will never be a Manager in 100 years.

Sheriff Fatman

So Tery Butcher, a guy who's acheivements in management are two teams at the arse end of the First Divison and Brentford in England, getting Motherwell to a League Cup final and assistant manager at Partick Thistle in Scotland, and less than a year in Australia is preferable to an ex-international team manager or a guy who got his team into the Champions League group stage.

Where do you buy your drugs about Lou because they must be a bit strong for you if you reckon Butcher would be a good Manager.

He is total rank and will never be a Manager in 100 years.

I don't think by any strech of the imagination you could describe his time at Motherwell as rank, by no means would he be my 1st choice, but at this moment in time I would happily take him

So Tery Butcher, a guy who's acheivements in management are two teams at the arse end of the First Divison and Brentford in England, getting Motherwell to a League Cup final and assistant manager at Partick Thistle in Scotland, and less than a year in Australia is preferable to an ex-international team manager or a guy who got his team into the Champions League group stage.

One who will last 5mins under this regime and the other apparantly can barely speak English

No way! I reckon Rix as manager backed up Gary Glitter and Peter Sutcliffe - Even by Romanov's standards that would be pretty spectacular :cool:

Sheriff Fatman
One who will last 5mins under this regime and the other apparantly can barely speak English

So two points of opposition to them that are nothing to do with how good a manager they are or what their record is.

You would rather have Butcher, who has just as much chance as either of the two others of lasting more than 5 minutes so than point is moot, because he can speak English. Me, I'd rather have a manager who can do the job well not one who can convey his bad tactics in English.

As an assistant, I would have no problem with Butcher, but as the main man, not a chance.

We_are_the_Hearts

The day's of a manager standing at the sidelines with a red face are long gone. This is the job of the Assistant. The thinking Manager should be analysing the game.

So two points of opposition to them that are nothing to do with how good a manager they are or what their record is.

You would rather have Butcher, who has just as much chance as either of the two others of lasting more than 5 minutes so than point is moot, because he can speak English. Me, I'd rather have a manager who can do the job well not one who can convey his bad tactics in English.

As an assistant, I would have no problem with Butcher, but as the main man, not a chance.

Whoever the manager is needs to have a sound knowledge of british football or be assisted by someone who has, that is why I am sceptical about Weiss.

Sheriff Fatman
No way! I reckon Rix as manager backed up Gary Glitter and Peter Sutcliffe - Even by Romanov's standards that would be pretty spectacular :cool:

Na, Vlad going to call you as you are the fountain of all wisdom and knowledge when it comes to footballing matters. I'm just suprised Chelsea didn't get you instead of that Scolari chapie.

the information I have received from a number of sources who have played for him over the years and this includes in Australia is that he clueless. In any event I am sure he realises this and that also how comfortable a job he now finds himself and that that therefore he would not be interested in taking such a challenge as the Hearts job.

Sheriff Fatman
Whoever the manager is needs to have a sound knowledge of british football or be assisted by someone who has, that is why I am sceptical about Weiss.

Bollocks. This parocial attitude that managers have to have a deep understanding of British football is the reason why no teams in Britain, outside of the ones that throw money around like confetti, ever do anything of any worth in Europe or last more than five minutes when they get there.

Who is Butcher working beside now?

Thats right Burley..........................going by what is said on here GB aint going to give VR a glowing report to Butcher.

Who is Butcher working beside now?

Thats right Burley..........................going by what is said on here GB aint going to give VR a glowing report to Butcher.

To be fair i think most people already know what a loose cannon Romanov is.

CornhillHearts

:confused:

The day's of a manager standing at the sidelines with a red face are long gone. This is the job of the Assistant. The thinking Manager should be analysing the game.

Please let the manager(s) of the big 4 in England know.

Bollocks. This parocial attitude that managers have to have a deep understanding of British football is the reason why no teams in Britain, outside of the ones that throw money around like confetti, ever do anything of any worth in Europe or last more than five minutes when they get there.

In my opinion, only a manager who can communicate with the fans, players and media is going to regain this club any kind of respect and pull everyone together, If Thor or Weiss manage that, then I will be glad to admit I was wrong.

We_are_the_Hearts
:confused:

Please let the manager(s) of the big 4 in England know.

Very rarely see them shouting and bawling at their players, only try to convey instruction and tactical alterations to their players. The ref?......well that's a different matter.................:cool:

Very rarely see them shouting and bawling at their players, only try to convey instruction and tactical alterations to their players. The ref?......well that's a different matter.................:cool:

Presumbaly you're ignoring Smith/McCoist in your wee theory?

willie wallace

I remember a game a few years ago at Fir Park when Butcher was on the touchline encouraging his players to kick the crap out of Ricardo Fuller.In the first half hour half the team had a go at him but thankfully he was too good for them.Never liked Butcher since.

Think that was the day Fuller done his backflip and we won with a goal from our dashing winger Robert Sloan.

Guest JamboRobbo
How much influence he had is debatable?

I'd agree. I have my own reasons for believing he had a hand in it tho!

One things for sure I would be happy with him there to kick a few butts and to motivate the younger players. Just feel we would need someone a bit sharper and tactically aware as the main man.

Again, I'd agree.

Sheriff Fatman
Again, I'd agree.

You mean like he motivated the players at Coventry, oh wait he only got them to 16th in the First Division and got sacked. You must mean Sunderland, no that's wrong too he did just as bad there too. It must be in Sydney, nope that can't be it he didn't even last a year there.

Maybe it was Brentford, nope he did abysmally there. Partick Thistle, not much you can do as an assistant manager for a month. Motherwell, well yes he got them to the League Cup final, well done Butcher one good year the rest Motherwell did no better than their average season.

Guest JamboRobbo
You mean like he motivated the players at Coventry, oh wait he only got them to 16th in the First Division and got sacked. You must mean Sunderland, no that's wrong too he did just as bad there too. It must be in Sydney, nope that can't be it he didn't even last a year there.

Maybe it was Brentford, nope he did abysmally there. Partick Thistle, not much you can do as an assistant manager for a month. Motherwell, well yes he got them to the League Cup final, well done Butcher one good year the rest Motherwell did no better than there average season.

I was actually speaking from experience of my bro who worked under him, but hey ho. Clearly you know better.

Sheriff Fatman
I was actually speaking from experience of my bro who worked under him, but hey ho. Clearly you know better.

Nope, I'm just looking at his record and it tells me that he isn't someone I would consider as a manager in his own right. Assistant yes, if he was working with someone who is more tactically aware than your average squirel.

I wouldn't want Butcher in charge, no - his managerial record is poor. However I'd be very encouraged if he came as assistant for two main reasons. One, he doesn't really need the job - he's got a cushy number with Scotland. And the main problem we've had with everyone since Burley is that they've needed a job and didn't have any alternatives. Which makes them more likely to play Pinocchio to Vlad's Gepetto. If Butcher came as assistant, it would suggest to me that he's had (some) assurances regarding control over team selection at least. And secondly, he doesn't seem like the sort of person who'd take any crap from Vlad or the players.

The same pretty much applies to what I've head of Thor. So while a Thor/Butcher appointment would be fairly underwhelming, it would suggest that we'd be at least heading in the right direction and that the Jan 1st statement has been adhered to.

Archived