The underrated Don Cowie

Drewboy

Amoruso_lets_it_run

For those who think this type of thing is codswallop / lies damned statistics

This type of stat xA is a drop in the ocean compared to the types of stats being used by macphee and cathro to influence our training, signings and our team selection, and by CL and the football division to develop young players.

The entire club is in the middle of revolutionising the way we train and develop players and teams, towards a data driven model. They have been doing it at the top level for years... When using their laptops, they don't just watch videos and read jkb like you and me, they will be using advanced performance, training and match analysis software which requires the type of intellect Kris Boyd cannot dream of.

A far cry from "Get up thae sand dunes lads"

As for Cowie, underrated is right, and inconsistent is also right. For me he is a player we should be using sparingly, in 15-20 games a season, where he can have most impact and more time for the legs to recover. He frequently has his anonymous games 1 week after a big performance (See his performances vs rangers, hibs for example), to me it indicates that his legs are just starting to creak that little bit more. Having been rested at the weekend I expect he will feature on Wednesday, potentially as a sub and I expect a good performance from him.

The people that think this is nonsense refuse to engage with it properly to give it a chance - they just hear some term like 'expected assists' which sounds ludicrous to them and form an opinion that it must be b*llocks

Nobody who opposes it has come up with any reasoned argument against it in this thread - just had an emotional reaction

I like Cowie in the team, but agree with the idea that he shouldn't play every game, perhaps 15-20 a season now as someone has said.

I saw one comment that Cowie is a 1 in 5 games player and that we can do better. While acknowledging that Cowie doesn't appear to have a huge impact in every game he plays, I think it would be unfair to single him out for that. Other players are also guilty of not turning up at times.

Na, another 1 in 5 man.

We need better quality to replace him next season.

This and would rather have Kitchen imho

PhoenixHearts

A good player for us when played in a central role, a waste out wide.

Thought he was quite good out wide vs the rangers

The article, to be fair, is longer than a Shaun Lawson post. Can someone summarise?

Based on a measure of quality of assist, regardless of what the striker does with it, Cowie is the best at crosses among the top four SPFL clubs.

Tavernier and Sinclair are next on the list, followed by Walker.

Based on a measure of quality of assist, regardless of what the striker does with it, Cowie is the best at crosses among the top four SPFL clubs.

Tavernier and Sinclair are next on the list, followed by Walker.

Not just crosses. Basically quality passes that should end up in a goal. I think Cathro has a decision to make tomorrow. For me, Djoum has to start, as does Kitchen. It's going to be 100mph from the beginning, maybe Cowie's the man to be a part of that.

Tziolis oozes class but I can't see him tearing after centre backs and forcing them into mistakes, which they are more than capable of doing, before you even take into account that Hanlon and Fontaine are injured.

The people that think this is nonsense refuse to engage with it properly to give it a chance - they just hear some term like 'expected assists' which sounds ludicrous to them and form an opinion that it must be b*llocks

Nobody who opposes it has come up with any reasoned argument against it in this thread - just had an emotional reaction

That's because Scottish football is stuck in the dark ages and moving forward is far too much to bear for some people. Anyone who thinks the top nations consistently perform better is because they have more money, training facilities or players are having a laugh.

The way we are working with young players since Levein came along is light years ahead of where we were in the past. There are some very exciting times ahead.

So an expected assist is a pass that would have been an assist if the final shot had been better? Do the stats work the other way? - if a striker scuffs his shot, but the keeper makes a howler and let's it bobble under him, does the goal get chalked off statistically as an 'unexpected goal'?

Or in the case of Ozturks belter at ER few seasons ago, is that an "Unexpected assist" by Buaben?

And what's better statistically? An unexpected assist, an assist or an expected assist?

I'll just deal with the assists please. Cowie is a decent player but lets not make up stats to make someone sound better.

Mr Brightside

Or in the case of Ozturks belter at ER few seasons ago, is that an "Unexpected assist" by Buaben?

And what's better statistically? An unexpected assist, an assist or an expected assist?

I'll just deal with the assists please. Cowie is a decent player but lets not make up stats to make someone sound better.

All stats are made up, in the terms of someone picks a subject and analyses relevant data. Why is expected assist any less relevant than assist or pass completed.

I think expected assist is quite a good measure of a player. This stat shows which player creates goal scoring opportunities.

I would also like to see more analysis behind the shots on target stats. Pinging a 30 yard trundler is not the same a having a powerful well placed shot from 10 yards saved by the keeper.

Mr Brightside

So an expected assist is a pass that would have been an assist if the final shot had been better? Do the stats work the other way? - if a striker scuffs his shot, but the keeper makes a howler and let's it bobble under him, does the goal get chalked off statistically as an 'unexpected goal'?

Why would you do this though what are you trying to measure, which keeper makes the most howlers, which striker scuffed most shots, freak goals or which player set up the striker.

The stats only have value if it's something that measures repeated actions that are of interest.

Archived