How a Club should be run Vlad

JT Wooks

Oh to be run like Sunderland!

Sky Sports News

The Sunderland boss is expected to be handed a ?50million war chest as the Black Cats look to consolidate their status as a Premier League outfit.

The club's owners, the Drumaville Consortium, are fully committed to backing the manager during his summer spending spree, and will refrain from interfering in Keane's plans.

The Irish coach admits that he is fortunate to have a board who are prepared to back his judgement, and revealed that he has set his sights on a number of seasoned top flight performers.

"I look at other clubs and count my blessings," Keane told the Sunday Sun.

"We have good politics here. It is common sense that it is my list of targets and my team.

"We want to progress and the structure here is good. I have been backed."

On his targets, Keane added: "I probably have five or six in mind, it's a small list.

"The majority of the players I'm interested in are very much players who have played a lot of games in the Premier League, that's what our team has lacked."

Gigolo-Aunt

I dont think Keane will be there this time next year.

Sacked or walked.

Just a hunch.

Sunderland is a top notch club, in terms of how its run.

I get a fans letter via email weekly/regularly. These usually include a segment from the manager. Explaining intentions/goals/targets etc and info on how the team is doing generally as well as general club info.

The chairman 100% backs his manager and the clubs fans are generally extremely loyal and supportive of their team.

Its a fine example of how a football club should be.

I hope keane spends his ?50m wisely.

I get a fans letter via email weekly/regularly. These usually include a segment from the manager. Explaining intentions/goals/targets etc and info on how the team is doing generally as well as general club info.

The chairman 100% backs his manager and the clubs fans are generally extremely loyal and supportive of their team.

They certainly seem a cut above the norm from what some workmates who are Sunderland fans tell me. They just laugh at me and my Hearts tales.

its easy to do when you get ?100 million pumped into the club at the start of every season

its easy to do when you get ?100 million pumped into the club at the start of every season

I don't think the OP was talking about the ?50m. I think he was talking about the chairman handing his manager his budget and allowing him to get on with it.

I don't think the OP was talking about the ?50m. I think he was talking about the chairman handing his manager his budget and allowing him to get on with it.

A few more signings like McShane and they'll wish they hadn't.

A few more like Gordon and they'll continue to be glad they had.

Bad signing that is no doubt but i think they achieved what they wanted to for the first season back. I think they will be looking to kick on from that now and move up the league. The ?50m will allow them to achieve that IMO.

Disagree. Much as I admire CG he has not covered himself in glory there yet and the jury's out with a lot of Mackems. He is still the record signing for a British keeper and still does not command his area. They seem to think they deserve a lot more for that money.

I dont think Keane will be there this time next year.

Sacked or walked.

Just a hunch.

and i've a good hunch that we're going to end up with a puppet.

Disagree. Much as I admire CG he has not covered himself in glory there yet and the jury's out with a lot of Mackems. He is still the record signing for a British keeper and still does not command his area. They seem to think they deserve a lot more for that money.

Maybe at the start but hes been there a season now. Hes improved and you can't ask much more. He's a hit with the fans now. I go down to alot of the Sunderland games. Think the jury has made its mind up by now tbh.

Maybe at the start but hes been there a season now. Hes improved and you can't ask much more. He's a hit with the fans now. I go down to alot of the Sunderland games. Think the jury has made its mind up by now tbh.

He has improved but I live in the area and many of those I talk to are not yet convinced.

i agree spoke to a few mackems and they believe he has what it takes to be the best in the world and appreciate it might take him a few years!

1 of them wasnt happy that Keane only had a shortlist of 6 players he wanted to sign! wanted 12 or more

I said to him I'd take 1 that played for the love of the club and the love of the maroon jersey

hmfc_liam06

there was a recent interview with van der sar and he stated gordon had a great first season in the premiership and could go far, his judgement or yours, hmmmmm

there was a recent interview with van der sar and he stated gordon had a great first season in the premiership and could go far, his judgement or yours, hmmmmm

I would take his judgment every time.

VDS however does not attend every Sunderland game as do some of the supporters I've spoken to although so far as I know, none of them is/was an international keeper of the stature of VDS. They are still entitled to their views.

I would take his judgment every time.

VDS however does not attend every Sunderland game as do some of the supporters I've spoken to although so far as I know, none of them is/was an international keeper of the stature of VDS. They are still entitled to their views.

I honestly think they are a minority though mate.

I honestly think they are a minority though mate.

Maybe a certain Sunderland supporter who posts here will give his view.

The Vulture
He has improved but I live in the area and many of those I talk to are not yet convinced.

Maybe they should give him a bit of time, considering it was his first season in the EPL and he had a dodgy defence in front of him, those circumstances didn't really help him.

Maybe a certain Sunderland supporter who posts here will give his view.

Maybe, but heres a few quotes from the sunderland message boards I visit. Regarding Gordon in a recent thread that popped up (McGregor to Newcastle rumour for ?9m obviously brought up comparisons)

"Gordon will go to be a very good goalkeeper for us, im sure and if the mags are looking to replace an excellent, proven PL goalkeeper with one who is unproven and inferior to his compatriot down the road then things hardly bode well for them"

"he has improved as the season went on,& will prove to be a very good signing for us with his 1st season in the English prem under his belt"

"The lad is a top keeper in the making"

"I think he is an excellent shot stopper, but he needs to command his area better and shout at the defence to put them in line more. But this should hopefully develop with age and he will become a superstar"

"i personally think he is a top class goalkeeper, in which we done very well to bring him to the club. hes under good guidence under keane and this club his management will only help develop gordon into an even better keeper. in my opinion, he would fit into any team in the premiership, especially if he has an even better defence in front of him."

there is a few that reflect the general opinion I think.

Maybe, but heres a few quotes from the sunderland message boards I visit. Regarding Gordon in a recent thread that popped up (McGregor to Newcastle rumour for ?9m obviously brought up comparisons)

"Gordon will go to be a very good goalkeeper for us, im sure and if the mags are looking to replace an excellent, proven PL goalkeeper with one who is unproven and inferior to his compatriot down the road then things hardly bode well for them"

"he has improved as the season went on,& will prove to be a very good signing for us with his 1st season in the English prem under his belt"

"The lad is a top keeper in the making"

"I think he is an excellent shot stopper, but he needs to command his area better and shout at the defence to put them in line more. But this should hopefully develop with age and he will become a superstar"

"i personally think he is a top class goalkeeper, in which we done very well to bring him to the club. hes under good guidence under keane and this club his management will only help develop gordon into an even better keeper. in my opinion, he would fit into any team in the premiership, especially if he has an even better defence in front of him."

there is a few that reflect the general opinion I think.

I have highlighted a few of these, three of which use the future tense and another endorses what I said about the command of his area. The word underlined is "hopefully"

I have highlighted a few of these, three of which use the future tense and another endorses what I said about the command of his area. The word underlined is "hopefully"

yeah that is fair enough. Just you said 'he has not covered himself in glory'.. well he has not been sh*t either. Came over as if you thought the mackems basically thought he was p*sh, Maybe I just picked you up wrong though. He had a good first season and while he needs to improve to completely justify the price tag I still feel he is quite a favourite with the fans.

PresidentRomanov

Gordon was never worth ?9 million.

Only an idiot would let a manager spend that kind of money without question.

It all goes tits up, the manager walks away with his contract paid in full, then the owners are left millions out of pocket, and a squad full of highly paid mugs.

Guest JamboRobbo

It all goes tits up, the manager walks away with his contract paid in full, then the owners are left millions out of pocket, and a squad full of highly paid mugs.

Good point. Much better to just have the owner choose his own squad of highly paid mugs then massively under acheive with it.

Gordon was never worth ?9 million.

Only an idiot would let a manager spend that kind of money without question.

I wouldn't think it was spent without being questioned. A guy who knows a lot more about football than you or I e.g. Keane decided he was worth it and got the backing to spend it.

The fact that the club back the manager with good, yet affordable funding and lack of interference must seem like such a foreign concept to us now.

yeah that is fair enough. Just you said 'he has not covered himself in glory'.. well he has not been sh*t either. Came over as if you thought the mackems basically thought he was p*sh, Maybe I just picked you up wrong though. He had a good first season and while he needs to improve to completely justify the price tag I still feel he is quite a favourite with the fans.

I didn't, nor did the fans I spoke about, say this. I said the jury's out. Many felt that for the most expensive British goalie they should have had the best British goalie and they didn't get that. Until he is more assertive in commanding his area, they never will!

Just because someone is not the best doesn't mean they are p*sh.

The Real Maroonblood
Disagree. Much as I admire CG he has not covered himself in glory there yet and the jury's out with a lot of Mackems. He is still the record signing for a British keeper and still does not command his area. They seem to think they deserve a lot more for that money.[/QUOTE]

I agree he needs to score more goals.

;)

Good point. Much better to just have the owner choose his own squad of highly paid mugs then massively under acheive with it.

Another characteristic reply. It's either black or white.

Have you not heard of managers and a Board consulting with each other to get the best value for a budget. It's called teamwork which applies off the field as well as on it.

Seymour M Hersh

I wouldn't bet on it. He will make mistakes some costly. Whether that knackers the mackems this season who knows. As an aside is that the ?5om they keep going on about in the english media that the epl is worth to each team? Or is it ?50m from the owners/backers I wonder?

Guest JamboRobbo
Another characteristic reply.

Ditto

It's either black or white.

Have you not heard of managers and a Board consulting with each other to get the best value for a budget.

Yes I have. Thats what normal clubs do. They have a manager, and they take into account what he says. We don't even have one, never mind listening to what he says.

As you clearly highlight, the money they paid was for potential.

They got a relatively experienced young goalkeeper, a young 'keeper that has everything in his game to step up to a higher level.

So he started a little slow, many players that move to that league take a little time to adjust. He has made real, quality saves last season, and any sensible Mackems fan would see that.

I would take your mates view with a pinch of salt, because he is your mate. You are IMO the most reliable poster on here, you are always the exact opposite of how I see things. I like your posts, I see them as reaffirmation of my opinion! :)

Ditto

Yes I have. Thats what normal clubs do. They have a manager, and they take into account what he says. We don't even have one, never mind listening to what he says.

I'm not getting into the same weary argument with you.

Go and kiss your extra costing ST that you bought to watch an abnormal club next season. Enjoy.

I'm not getting into the same weary argument with you.

Go and kiss your extra costing ST that you bought to watch an abnormal club next season. Enjoy.

Your whole argument seems to have centred around the fact that Keane has made a signing that cost more than it should. What about the central point the OP made that the way Sunderland conduct their busines is absolutely the way we should see our club run? Do you not agree with that? :confused:

Another characteristic reply. It's either black or white.

Have you not heard of managers and a Board consulting with each other to get the best value for a budget. It's called teamwork which applies off the field as well as on it.

Oh the irony.

Can you tell me a club that act's in the way you describe,that are,lets say based in Edinburgh and wear maroon top's.

PresidentRomanov

You're the most boring person I've ever come across.

Your whole argument seems to have centred around the fact that Keane has made a signing that cost more than it should. What about the central point the OP made that the way Sunderland conduct their busines is absolutely the way we should see our club run? Do you not agree with that? :confused:

Keane has made several poor signings, some of whom are now up for sale and he wants another ?50m to add to the ?46m he has already spent. Is that how we want to run a club? I would agree with the principle if the money was spent wisely but no one can ever guarantee that, nor can they with an owner, which is why it is better for consultation and agreement. It is only fair that ultimately, and I emphasise ultimately, he who pays the piper calls the tune.

PresidentRomanov
Keane has made several poor signings, some of whom are now up for sale and he wants another ?50m to add to the ?46m he has already spent. Is that how we want to run a club? I would agree with the principle if the money was spent wisely but no one can ever guarantee that, nor can they with an owner, which is why it is better for consultation and agreement. It is only fair that ultimately, and I emphasise ultimately, he who pays the piper calls the tune.

Spot on Al :)

I didn't, nor did the fans I spoke about, say this. I said the jury's out. Many felt that for the most expensive British goalie they should have had the best British goalie and they didn't get that. Until he is more assertive in commanding his area, they never will!

Just because someone is not the best doesn't mean they are p*sh.

Well Gordon may not be worth ?9m yet but he has potential to improve. However even now I still firmly believe they still got the best Brittish keeper. Who would you consider is better than Gordon? The england national squad certainly don't have one and he is obviously Scotland number one.

Guest JamboRobbo
It is only fair that ultimately, and I emphasise ultimately, he who pays the piper calls the tune.

In other words, Vlad is always right in your mind, regardless of whether he does anything well or badly.

As for spending money wisely, you're correct, no-one gets it right all the time. But those who know what they are doing will tend to get it right more often than those who don't.

In other words, Vlad is always right in your mind, regardless of whether he does anything well or badly.

As for spending money wisely, you're correct, no-one gets it right all the time. But those who know what they are doing will tend to get it right more often than those who don't.

Another total misinterpretation. If you read my last post you will see that I said no one is guaranteed to get it correct all the time. To try to help you understand English, no one would include Romanov. But it's (effectively) VR's money so he has the right to insist on the final say - and I did stress the word ULTIMATELY. To help you a little bit with that word, it means in practice that the manager would be able to identify targets, run them past Romanov with his reasons for wanting them and Romanov would approve them unless he had strong and valid reasons not to.

I would not want us, or Sunderland for that matter, to go down the Leeds/O'Leary route or to see someone like Big Sam spend ?mmm on players who did nothing for him and are no longer at the Toon a matter of months after they were bought. There must be checks and balances.

Guest JamboRobbo
Another total misinterpretation. If you read my last post you will see that I said no one is guaranteed to get it correct all the time. To try to help you understand English, no one would include Romanov. But it's (effectively) VR's money so he has the right to insist on the final say - and I did stress the word ULTIMATELY. To help you a little bit with that word, it means in practice that the manager would be able to identify targets, run them past Romanov with his reasons for wanting them and Romanov would approve them unless he had strong and valid reasons not to.

as condescending as usual.

I would not want us, or Sunderland for that matter, to go down the Leeds/O'Leary route or to see someone like Big Sam spend ?mmm on players who did nothing for him and are no longer at the Toon a matter of months after they were bought.

Yet you're quite happy for Vlad to do so. It's his money after all, and the piper calls the tune.

as condescending as usual.

Sorry you see it as condescending but if someone chooses to ignore what is being said it gets a bit tiresome.

Yet you're quite happy for Vlad to do so. It's his money after all, and the piper calls the tune.

Yet again you put your own diametrically opposite viewpoint on what was said. I did not say I was happy if VR wastes money. I said he was entitled to have the ultimate say as he pays the piper. In the final analysis though he can do what he likes with his money as we all can. To the extent that it affects the club I would hope it was done wisely in the manner I described earlier.

Archived