'Why Cathro matters'

So Make Some Noise..

So Make Some Noise..

https://scottishfootballhipster.wordpress.com/2017/02/07/why-cathro-matters/?iframe=true&theme_preview=true

Apart from a slight inaccurancy with his age, I thought this was a thoroughly enjoyable article....

Why Cathro Matters

There is an epidemic in Scottish Football. An epidemic which has spread throughout the media commentators, press and TV pundits. An epidemic that has been rife within the fan bases of every club for a very long time. Archaism. We are haunted by dinosaurs. Society expects its older members to generally be much more attached to the old way of doing things, the tried and tested, the way things used to be. The young are expected to challenge the old guard?s way of thinking, offer new ideas and solutions to old problems, and more importantly offer new solutions to new problems. But Scottish football is not so. Scottish football, to take a step back and look at it from the outside, is ruled by the old way of thinking. This has come to the fore even more in the last few weeks with the appointment of Ian Cathro as Hearts manager.

A 30-year-old man who has never played the game professionally getting the Hearts job. OUTRAGE.

The papers were immediately overflowing with sanctimonious headlines and ?opinion pieces? by mainstream hacks and former players. The airwaves screaming about Football Manager, laptops, and respect. Even current players like Kris Boyd were offering their two cents (the fact that he is even paid to write a column being the most incredible thing to come out of reading it for me).

Keith Jackson of the Daily Record declared the appointment a big gamble. ?The danger is Cathro will lack credibility inside his own dressing room? Jackson wrote. Of course it?s fine to write about football, judge players and managers, and hold the footballing talking points in the palm of your hand as the head sports writer of a major newspaper, without having ever played the game professionally. Jackson arrogantly declared:

? It would all be so simple if only it was played in theory. Or on HD digital tablets. Ian Cathro would have hipstered his way to six points from his first two matches as head coach at Hearts?

?Hipstered his way to six points? is the key phrase for me here. What a dismissive and frankly idiotic thing to say about Ian Cathro. First of all to use hipster as an insult is ridiculous. Football is basically run by hipster managers at the moment. Klopp, Simeone, Conte, Pochettino, Luis Enrique, PEP GUARDIOLA. All of them once the apple of the football hipster?s eye (although a few have now moved on to become ?not as good as they used to be? or to translate: successful). So Cathro is just a daft hipster that?s never kicked a ball.

Who?s next?

Craigan.

Steven Craigan said the appointment of Cathro was ?brave? on BT sport, appearing to go along with Jackson?s idea that Hearts have taken some massive risk here by appointing a guy that has already coached in 4 different countries for Dundee United, Valencia, Rio Ave and Newcastle. At Rio Ave and Valencia he was the ASSISTANT MANAGER. But no Scottish football rejects all logic and reason. He?s never kicked a ball!!!

Now Boyd.

Boyd claimed Cathro couldn?t manage a team because he had ?never experienced that environment?. He then backed up his nonsense on 5 live by saying that Cathro?s background was ?developing kids?.  Now this actually gets to my point (lucky you). This shows a complete ignorance of the matter at hand. YES Ian Cathro has worked as a development coach. But he has since been an assistant manager for 2 clubs, one of them being one of the biggest clubs in Europe. He has then also been a first team coach at one of the biggest clubs in England, Newcastle United. This man lives and breathes football. This man cares so much about football that he has spent his 20s doing coaching badges, travelling the world working and developing his own skills.

A young Scottish man with this commitment and drive should be applauded and encouraged by Scottish football. We should be opening our arms to him, listening to his ideas and finding out what he has to offer our game.

Cathro has received huge criticism for his interviews, referred to as bumbling by one pundit. But on the contrary, his interviews are a breath of fresh air. Every single game ends with a Mark McGhee, a Derek McInnes ? name any Scottish ex player basically- churning out the clich?s. Cathro actually tells you what he thought about the game, he articulates himself well, and makes an effort to give proper answers.

New ideas, fresh ways of doing things, actually talking about football instead of just clich?s and football jargon.

A challenge to the old way, the dinosaurs and the established order. Scottish Football needs its prejudices and methods proved wrong ?  and Cathro is the man to do it.

...a bit disco

"Scottish Football needs its prejudices and methods proved wrong ?  and Cathro is the man to do it."

In a nutshell.

For+those+who+want+it+_1c658b30c8b179ae3

So Make Some Noise..

FYI - He's updated the age (originally 32) so it's now correct in the article.. apologies for the confusing intro.. it wont let me edit the comment which is a bit weird.. 

So Make Some Noise..

"Every single game ends with a Mark McGhee, a Derek McInnes ? name any Scottish ex player basically- churning out the clich?s."

100% this. 

Lincon Premier

Shame he missed out the Craigan spat where he claimed he didn't want Cathro's job and he had more badges. Sutton ripped him a new one and it was great to watch. Even now Currie and Sutton rip into Craigan at every opportunity. Got to love BT sport for this alone.

SectionDJambo

Scottish football has been over run by blinkered officials, coaches and press, for years. Lessons never get learned. We blunder on from one international qualifying failure to another and our "top" teams are the desired opposition for teams from countries we used to look down on as easy to beat.

This hasn't sneaked up on us. It's been going on for years now, but as long as either Celtic or Rangers are keeping their place at the top of Scottish football, all is ok with the SFA and Glasgow dominated media. The poor souls who read the propaganda from these cheer leaders lap it up, and blame everything else from Johnny Foreigner cheating, to a lack of competition from our own clubs in our domestic leagues.

Any time a challenge to this domestic domination appears, the knives come out to cut it down, by tapping players from non Old Firm teams through the press, or just buying them up to weaken the challenge.

The ridiculous reaction to Ian Cathro's appointment to Hearts is typical of how backward Scottish football people have become. Once a nation of forward thinking and innovation, we are now stuck in our own bubble, which, if we want to become a decent force again, needs burst as soon as possible.

Yeah

Ironically it's probably not going to be a big deal as our guys will just deliver.

It's who else will be the 'new' type coaches.

"A young Scottish man with this commitment and drive should be applauded and encouraged by Scottish football."

It is an important point, as the public ridicule of Cathro when he joined was outrageous. Sure, be skeptical and raise fair points, but aside from the likes of Sutton and some decent journalism by Ewan Murray in the Guardian and some bits online in STV sport, the rest were willing Cathro to fail. Snide and fake - or just remarkably ill-informed - comments from pundits (some paid by our tv license fee) and even players highlights just how shite our football coverage is in Scotland.

Aside from the prospect of Cathro having a very successful time at Hearts, he's probably already changed Scottish football for the better. The debate about him (and what Hearts are trying to do) has made the 'dinosaur thinking' a talking point more than ever.

"A young Scottish man with this commitment and drive should be applauded and encouraged by Scottish football."

It is an important point, as the public ridicule of Cathro when he joined was outrageous. Sure, be skeptical and raise fair points, but aside from the likes of Sutton and some decent journalism by Ewan Murray in the Guardian and some bits online in STV sport, the rest were willing Cathro to fail. Snide and fake - or just remarkably ill-informed - comments from pundits (some paid by our tv license fee) and even players highlights just how shite our football coverage is in Scotland.

Aside from the prospect of Cathro having a very successful time at Hearts, he's probably already changed Scottish football for the better. The debate about him (and what Hearts are trying to do) has made the 'dinosaur thinking' a talking point more than ever.

As much as I'd love to agree with your last sentences, I still think there will be a hardcore of commentators (including some of our own fans) who will be waiting for him to fail. However, Cathro's appointment may yet prove to be a watershed moment for Scottish football.

Creating parity between the old firm and all other clubs will need to happen first however and the current SFA just don't have the bollocks for that.

Jacksons time must be up soon he's just one big massive fail. The hipster stuff is frankly embarrassing as this guy points out. You only need look at the Rangers forum after last week to know those ignorant Jackson spoon fed morons lapped up every word they'd read about Cathro in that comic. They were furious their coach had been beaten by a guy with a laptop. When the reality is Cathro has more experience round first team players than Warburton who was an academy coach before his 2 years as brentford.

Used to not really mind Craigan as a pundit, but after his comments I really can't stand him and it has highlighted his dinosaur mentality. Is he not the Motherwell u21's coach too? God help those kids :( 

As much as I'd love to agree with your last sentences, I still think there will be a hardcore of commentators (including some of our own fans) who will be waiting for him to fail. However, Cathro's appointment may yet prove to be a watershed moment for Scottish football.

Creating parity between the old firm and all other clubs will need to happen first however and the current SFA just don't have the bollocks for that.

It's important in encouraging others even youngsters to see there are opportunities

Ignorance and nonsense are things that are permanently present in Scottish Football. The Cathro issue was like turning on the taps of ignorance and nonsense. In hindsight it couldn't have happened differently. Things will remain so until the papers realise that they need to employ real football supporters instead of the Keith Jacksons and the other media sources realise that their go-to pundits are non-league trash.

Been saying this from the start.  If we want to try to do something different in a Scottish footballing context, then there was no point in shaking the SPFL tree and taking whichever monkey fell out.  We'd have ended up with someone like Wright from St Johnstone (which some folk on here were getting moist about) and would have had to settle for mid-table mediocrity with the odd qualification for Europe.  The positive noises that we're beginning to hear from the players, and the quality of players who have come to play for this young, untried hipster, speak volumes.  The old guard may not like it.  The old guard can get it right ****ing up them.

Scottish football has been over run by blinkered officials, coaches and press, for years. Lessons never get learned. We blunder on from one international qualifying failure to another and our "top" teams are the desired opposition for teams from countries we used to look down on as easy to beat.

This hasn't sneaked up on us. It's been going on for years now, but as long as either Celtic or Rangers are keeping their place at the top of Scottish football, all is ok with the SFA and Glasgow dominated media. The poor souls who read the propaganda from these cheer leaders lap it up, and blame everything else from Johnny Foreigner cheating, to a lack of competition from our own clubs in our domestic leagues.

Any time a challenge to this domestic domination appears, the knives come out to cut it down, by tapping players from non Old Firm teams through the press, or just buying them up to weaken the challenge.

The ridiculous reaction to Ian Cathro's appointment to Hearts is typical of how backward Scottish football people have become. Once a nation of forward thinking and innovation, we are now stuck in our own bubble, which, if we want to become a decent force again, needs burst as soon as possible.

TOP post fella!

Been saying this from the start. If we want to try to do something different in a Scottish footballing context, then there was no point in shaking the SPFL tree and taking whichever monkey fell out. We'd have ended up with someone like Wright from St Johnstone (which some folk on here were getting moist about) and would have had to settle for mid-table mediocrity with the odd qualification for Europe. The positive noises that we're beginning to hear from the players, and the quality of players who have come to play for this young, untried hipster, speak volumes. The old guard may not like it. The old guard can get it right ****ing up them.

"... no point in shaking the SFPL tree and taking whatever monkey fell out... "

A wonderful and very apt analogy! :rofl:

The thought of Tommy Wright as our manager... Jesus.

You only need consider which remnants from the JKB dinosauria wanted Wright in the first place.

Stubbsy is ******* hilarious in that clip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He looks like a pet watching his owners arguing.

Absolutely brilliant quote. Well done that man.

...a bit disco

The nick of Craigan. :rofl:

Totally consumed.

Guy's a rager.

So Make Some Noise..

Ignorance and nonsense are things that are permanently present in Scottish Football. The Cathro issue was like turning on the taps of ignorance and nonsense. In hindsight it couldn't have happened differently. Things will remain so until the papers realise that they need to employ real football supporters instead of the Keith Jacksons and the other media sources realise that their go-to pundits are non-league trash.

I do think the tide is turning and Cathro-gate is perhaps promoting just how much of it is ignorance and nonsense. We're moving into the next generation of football, it's changed a helluva lot over the last decade. I'm hopeful that these morons will be forgotten sooner rather than later. Despite the bbc / weej rags best efforts to keep the 'club' going. 

letsalldothebeattie

Cracking read that. Hit the nail on the head about all the wankers in the game who have hammered Cathro

Stubbsy is ******* hilarious in that clip!

Never thought I would say this but beginning to think Sutton is an ok type guy :uhoh2:

Says what he thinks and took Craigan apart on that clip :pleased:

People need to stop getting so wound up about what's written in the print media. It's obvious that several (if not all) of these papers will be extinct in a few years' time, and they're getting increasingly desperate to appease their readership.

As for the footballing establishment, I'm happy that they're putting the boot in, as it means they're scared.

Seymour M Hersh

Parochial (provincial, narrow, insular, limited, restricted, petty, narrow-minded, inward-looking, small-minded), doesn't really begin to describe Scottish football pundits and media. 

On Sportsound last night Ian Cathro was brought up and Ian McCall (Ayr United manager) stated he couldn't believe the reaction to the appointment. he was so taken aback  he actually took the time  to phone Craig Levein (he doesn't know Ian Cathro) and ask him to pass on best wishes to Ian from both himself and Ayr United. A nice touch I thought.

On Sportsound last night Ian Cathro was brought up and Ian McCall (Ayr United manager) stated he couldn't believe the reaction to the appointment. he was so taken aback he actually took the time to phone Craig Levein (he doesn't know Ian Cathro) and ask him to pass on best wishes to Ian from both himself and Ayr United. A nice touch I thought.

Yeh that was a great thing for him to do. I'm pretty sure there would be many more managers who took the trouble to make that call.

This is the most annoying part of it all for me, mate. It's not really as rife as it is made to look by our idiotic press. The average fan of other clubs all seem quite positive about the guy from my personal experience. Example, the game last weekend; A friend of mine who you know, from Motherwell, he and a mate of his very positive about what we are doing. Train home get speaking to an Edinburgh based Killie fan who was travelling back from their match v Hamilton, again really enthusiastic about what we are doing. Speak to most normal football fans and they usually don't reflect the same level of ignorance as the former players that we are subjected to in the media, and their ignorant prehistoric prejudices.

PhoenixHearts

The main problem with Scottish football is " Scottish football", or at least the ideas and traditions that are supposed to belong to it.

Cathro knows this. And it's why Levein was so high on him. So desperate to bring him in.

I suspect Craig Levein knew stuff needed to change when he tried to fix the National Scottish football set up from the ground up. His struggles in that role are well documented, but in hindsight, these are struggles that should have been afforded to him, based on the grassroots vision he had. I reckon if he had served that role for longer, we'd now be seeing results, 4-6-0 or not.

Of course, the impatience and arrogance of the SFA couldn't put up with it, and he was met with utmost resistance by the establishment, media et al.

Now, he's seen in Cathro an opportunity. A young coach who is on a wavelength with him. The same designs to totally shake up the established way of thinking. Except Cathro is going to multiply that by 10. And there's no old dinosaur types to give him the boot. Only two patient, intelligent abstract thinkers in Budge and Levein. They'll give him the time he needs. And he'll prove them right. And it'll be to the benefit of Scottish football as a whole.

King Of The Cat Cafe

I wonder if those who say "only someone who has been a professional footballer has what it takes to be a manager" would move on to the logical consideration, which is "only someone who has been a footballer has what it takes to commentate or write about football"?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Long may we continue the "You're getting ****ed by a laptop" chant!!

When the game up here is judged on the success of two clubs and two clubs only, the development of the game will always stagnate. You better believe if Warburtons Rangers were 3 points behind Celtic and both were sweeping every team aside, they'd be ecstatic at how good the game is back up here now the established two are back. When you hear anyone in the media say "the game needs improving" what they actually mean is Celtic and Rangers, Rangers more so, need investment to compete in Europe. Everyone of them panders to every whim of the old firm and as a result get utterly shocked and outraged when anyone, Romanov, Levein etc have the balls to say they want to change. If we had an Arab billionaire come into the Scottish game and promise the investment of 100 billion across all teams, improve stadia, promotion of the game, TV deals etc but the money had to be split equally between every team and his men had to run the SFA, id almost guarantee it would be laughed off the table.

They fear Cathro cause they know his potential. They all lined him up for the Ibrox hot seat. We will never know how seriously Cathro considered the position but he was obviously wanted by Rangers. He said no and to them, that's unthinkable. If this man was so ambitious and so highly thought after, how could he refuse Rangers. They didn't realise how much that annoyed him till Cathro showed up, side by side with Levein, another man they hate. Go time for them to unleash their bile. Listening to them on sportsound makes me laugh "I really hope it works out for him, I hope he proves me wrong, but I still have my doubts" every time he is mentioned, that's the tag line. We smashed killie, Boyd couldn't even come to say we played well. We put Rangers to the sword and they focus on the short comings of Rangers rather than the transformation of Hearts. The Motherwell red card. Hugh Keevins saying we are the worst Hearts side he's seen. They can't handle change. Scottish football needs Cathro more than it needs yogi Hughes to get a job. It needs Cathro more than it needs Locke to get back into management. The game needs more Austin McPhees and less Billy Browns.

Talksport today had Jim White talking about how Rangers needed investment and how Warburton was doing a good job. Not once did he comment on how well Aberdeen and Hearts/St Johnston were doing to be competing with Rangers considering how much of a gulf there is between playing budgets of the teams. Instead he focused on the gulf in budgets between Rangers and Celtic. That just sums it all up. Where would Aberdeen be with a 20 million pound a year playing budget? Where would we be if we could spend 1.8 million on a striker and pay players 7k a week? The potential of both Hearts and Aberdeen with investment is just as news worthy as Rangers surely? Consider we have both been competing with Celtic with tenth of their budget. Imagine what we could do on a level playing field? The big talking point however was Rangers and how we need them to challenge Celtic for the good of the game. Crazy.

The article is 100% spot on. Shame that it won't make back page news.

I genuinely wonder if in 5/10 years time, the rest of Scottish football will look back on this moment as when things really did start to change for the greater good. 

And i'll say something else to echo the sentiments above, we are ******* lucky to have Budge, Levein and Cathro/MacPhee at our club. 

jack D and coke

When the game up here is judged on the success of two clubs and two clubs only, the development of the game will always stagnate. You better believe if Warburtons Rangers were 3 points behind Celtic and both were sweeping every team aside, they'd be ecstatic at how good the game is back up here now the established two are back. When you hear anyone in the media say "the game needs improving" what they actually mean is Celtic and Rangers, Rangers more so, need investment to compete in Europe. Everyone of them panders to every whim of the old firm and as a result get utterly shocked and outraged when anyone, Romanov, Levein etc have the balls to say they want to change. If we had an Arab billionaire come into the Scottish game and promise the investment of 100 billion across all teams, improve stadia, promotion of the game, TV deals etc but the money had to be split equally between every team and his men had to run the SFA, id almost guarantee it would be laughed off the table.

They fear Cathro cause they know his potential. They all lined him up for the Ibrox hot seat. We will never know how seriously Cathro considered the position but he was obviously wanted by Rangers. He said no and to them, that's unthinkable. If this man was so ambitious and so highly thought after, how could he refuse Rangers. They didn't realise how much that annoyed him till Cathro showed up, side by side with Levein, another man they hate. Go time for them to unleash their bile. Listening to them on sportsound makes me laugh "I really hope it works out for him, I hope he proves me wrong, but I still have my doubts" every time he is mentioned, that's the tag line. We smashed killie, Boyd couldn't even come to say we played well. We put Rangers to the sword and they focus on the short comings of Rangers rather than the transformation of Hearts. The Motherwell red card. Hugh Keevins saying we are the worst Hearts side he's seen. They can't handle change. Scottish football needs Cathro more than it needs yogi Hughes to get a job. It needs Cathro more than it needs Locke to get back into management. The game needs more Austin McPhees and less Billy Browns.

Talksport today had Jim White talking about how Rangers needed investment and how Warburton was doing a good job. Not once did he comment on how well Aberdeen and Hearts/St Johnston were doing to be competing with Rangers considering how much of a gulf there is between playing budgets of the teams. Instead he focused on the gulf in budgets between Rangers and Celtic. That just sums it all up. Where would Aberdeen be with a 20 million pound a year playing budget? Where would we be if we could spend 1.8 million on a striker and pay players 7k a week? The potential of both Hearts and Aberdeen with investment is just as news worthy as Rangers surely? Consider we have both been competing with Celtic with tenth of their budget. Imagine what we could do on a level playing field? The big talking point however was Rangers and how we need them to challenge Celtic for the good of the game. Crazy.

Top post fella totally agree[emoji1360]

Top post fella totally agree[emoji1360]

It's like the two mansions at the bottom of a shanty town needing a new conservatory to make the street better. Don't redevelop the street, just ensure the mansions look nice. Am getting to the point I'd love Celtic to leave for a crap euro league and Rangers to die, again.

Brilliant post mate.

Football in this country has spun 360 degrees since Murray and Souness turned up at Ibrox. They had the wealth and the domination and Celtic sat squirming in their shadow. Fast forward and Celtic are now king. Only this time Celtic have secure wealth and through ridiculous prize money from the top table in Europe they can only get richer.

What can't and won't happen this time is the rest of us will go to the wall trying to stay in touch with them and while rangers are in a shit state there's no need to. We all know Celtic are untouchable so the only incentive is UEFA and we're all capable of that as it stands.

Fergus Mccann saved Celtic, remember how he was treated by the press and the celtic fans when he rocked up. A man who openly admitted he was going to rebuild them and leave with a few quid in his pocket. He just didn't fit the mould and it didn't sit well with the establishment of the game. He should have a statue at Parkhead!

Celtic aren't news now they have moved so far ahead it reminds me of the season we walked the championship. I sometimes wondered if we were in the league such was the coverage of Rangers and the former old firm player lead Hibs. Ally v Stubbs that was the story. They absolutely need a celtic v rangers showdown it's the only thing that keeps them in business and when someone new pitches up that holds no connections to either or hasn't had his head filled with the toe the line mentality ex players have and actually threatened to derail any hope they have of igniting the rival they try to get rid of them from day one. The sfa and media milk the old firm cow dry and cannot have that taken away.

The problem they have now is Celtic are so far ahead that Rangers cannot hope to catch them for at least 10 years by actually building from the bottom up. That's why ****wits like Jim White cry for help by almost begging for cash it's they only way they know how.

Back to Cathro...He scares the shit out of them as do Levein and Budge. What if we are the real deal and we actually emerge as a credible challenger. McInnes they're fine with he's part of the old school and Celtic have his number. But Hearts we're a dark art. Cathro new manager type that's not been through the Scottish brainwashing system. Levein anti SFA with a real desire to stand up to them. Budge a woman no less and a successful one...that scares the shit out of them. They cannot put us in a box and tell us to shut up they simply don't know what to do other than hope we fail and using the media to constantly remind us it cod fall apart any minute trying to spread the doubt. I really think they've got a job on their hands it's not some 'dodgy foreigner' they can openly abuse that's running this show it's a highly respected clever business woman born and bred in Edinburgh it's all to much for them. So its best instead of letting Rangers grow and just accept Celtic are way ahead and encouraging others to step up while rangers go through the rebuilding pain they find another mug to throw cash at them.

There are a lot of superb post here with well thought out and rational opinions being expressed. I personally feel we are seriously buying into the Cathro way and will give him the time and support required to produce significant improvement/results.

With regard to the future management of my team I choose this - 

hipster1

?h?pst?/
noun
informal

1. a person who follows the latest trends and fashions, especially those regarded as being outside the cultural mainstream.

As opposed to this total roaster and his ilk, a la McInnes, McGhee, etc. - https://twitter.com/stvsport/status/829733247982645248

Archived