Dead Cat

Maiden Gorgie

Maiden Gorgie

I arrived home from work tonight to find a dead cat on my path. Have chapped on neighbours doors to see if i could find owner but to no avail. I phoned SSPCA who gave me a number for the cat protection league but they are are unavailable over the weekend. I have wrapped the poor soul in a towel and it is now in a tub in our garden.

Has anyone had to deal with this? Apparently i can take it to a vet who can see if it is chipped and locate owner but again not many vets open this weekend.

The SSPCA did say if worst come to the worst i can double bag it and put it in our wheelie bin. Doesn't sit right with me though, i have a cat and would hate it if this was to happen to her.

Any advice welcome.

PDSA at Hutchison crossways is open at the weekend if your in the west of Edinburgh

Or there's vets in the pets at home shops that might be able to help

J.T.F.Robertson

A shame.

I've had cats pretty much all my life, love them and have (so far) outlasted them.

Can't give you any advice (sorry) but it's wrong that they should be left out like garbage.

At least it occurs to you. (not much consolation to the puss puss)

Maiden Gorgie

Thanks for the replies guys, will take it to vets tomorrow i think. The link heartstastic posted also good but the cat i found looks like quite a few reported missing in my area.

It doesn't look that old, no sign of damage. My wife said our cat was freaking out just before I got home, don't know if she (the cat) heard or sensed something but she has been really clingy since. Maybe a fight and a heart attack?  Looked to me as if it had just keeled over. 

Grim.

Sell it to your local Chinese takeaway...

Only kidding, cat owner myself in the past. Had one in China that died in my hands, was not very nice. Well done for actually giving a toss, many wouldn't. PDSA always a good bet in situations like this, I think.

Well done for looking after it. I'd advise taking it to the vet on Monday so they can check to see if it's chipped. They should also be able to dispose of it for you.

I arrived home from work tonight to find a dead cat on my path. Have chapped on neighbours doors to see if i could find owner but to no avail. I phoned SSPCA who gave me a number for the cat protection league but they are are unavailable over the weekend. I have wrapped the poor soul in a towel and it is now in a tub in our garden.

Has anyone had to deal with this? Apparently i can take it to a vet who can see if it is chipped and locate owner but again not many vets open this weekend.

The SSPCA did say if worst come to the worst i can double bag it and put it in our wheelie bin. Doesn't sit right with me though, i have a cat and would hate it if this was to happen to her.

Any advice welcome.

What area do you live in bud?

Any advice welcome.

If you or the wife are not Facebook post there. There will be friends of friends which may help track the cats family.

Maiden Gorgie

Taking it in to PDSA in the next hour, they will scan for chip etc. and they will dispose if no owner found. Going to put a few flyers out in the area too. 

Thanks again for the advice folks.

Maiden Gorgie

Just back from PDSA the cat is chipped and they are going to contact owner, small mercy I guess.

Maiden Gorgie

Owners have been in contact and picking up body from PDSA today. Very heathy cat, well looked after according to the PDSA such a shame

I P Knightley

Take a photograph of it and put it in a sign saying "FOUND". Then tack, tie or tape copies to trees and lampposts in the neighbourhood.

You could be in for a reward.

Edit: apologies - hadn't read to the end of the thread before coming up with my advice. Save it for next time, though.

Owners have been in contact and picking up body from PDSA today. Very heathy cat, well looked after according to the PDSA such a shame

Well done mate. One of my cats went missing a few months ago and if the worst happened, I'd hope someone would do what you did.

Think he's fine though, probably moved in with some old dear - he pretty much moved in with our next door neighbour for a month! :lol:

Riddley Walker

See dead cats out here every couple of days by the road. Saw a fresh one still twitching and bleeding the other day. Grim.

Riddley Walker

Same with dogs. There's a huge black labrador that lives across the road from us that,  literally, hasn't been untied from a rope since we moved here seven months ago. Poor ****er just spends 24 hours attached to a four foot rope, barking away. Only there as a guard dog.

Really nice folk apart from that though.

Riddley Walker

*******s don't give a shit about cats out there.

One of the few things that piss me off about some malakas.

But is it acceptable to forgive animal cruelty if a country produces outstanding deep-lying midfielders and left-backs, and sends them to Hearts? I'd say yes.

Think he's fine though, probably moved in with some old dear - he pretty much moved in with our next door neighbour for a month! :lol:

I had a cat like that. He was an absolute tart who had at least three homes. Clever *******.

Konrad von Carstein

Same with dogs. There's a huge black labrador that lives across the road from us that,  literally, hasn't been untied from a rope since we moved here seven months ago. Poor ****er just spends 24 hours attached to a four foot rope, barking away. Only there as a guard dog.

Really nice folk apart from that though.

If true, why the **** have you not contacted the SSPCA?

Riddley Walker

If true, why the **** have you not contacted the SSPCA?

I live in Greece. I'm not a hundred percent but I doubt they'd come out here.

Shanks said no

I know someone who will happily pay you money for a dead cat, he's on call to pick up dead animals off the road in West Lothian, they shove cats, dogs etc in a freezer until they check for chips.

He always tells me to call him first if I knock down an animal.

I know someone who will happily pay you money for a dead cat, he's on call to pick up dead animals off the road in West Lothian, they shove cats, dogs etc in a freezer until they check for chips.

He always tells me to call him first if I knock down an animal.

What about knocking down a Tramp.....just curious.

I don't think Tramps are chipped like pets.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Maybe wise to keep an eye on your own cat for a while in case someone has been putting out poison bate. Some sad sacks out there. I heard someone lost a dog through this despicable practice !

I don't think Tramps are chipped like pets.

You'll find out that you'll have to make a claim on your car insurance.

One of the reasons I have a no excess policy, hitting these feckers regularly.

Well played OP. Got three cats and be gutted if one of em disappeared and I didn't know what had happened to it. Cats are punk rock!

Maiden Gorgie

Maybe wise to keep an eye on your own cat for a while in case someone has been putting out poison bate. Some sad sacks out there. I heard someone lost a dog through this despicable practice !

Yup, not letting ours out for a wee while thats for sure. 

A card was put through our door today from the owners. Took the cat home from PDSA and buried it in their garden. Six year old daughter really upset but OK.

Wheelie bin aye? **** that

Dagger Is Back

Well done OP. I had 3 cats and noticed some red substance on the pavement outside when I got home one night.

Got in and one was missing. Alarm bells starting ringing and scoured the surrounding streets looking for him.

Walked round the Baberton estate putting missing leaflets through doors - 999 houses in Baberton apparently.

Couple of days later wife got a call to say the boys daughter had hit him in the car. Took him home but dumped him because he didn't know what to do with him. It was pre chip days.

It wouldn't change anything obviously but I would have liked him home.

That was 20 years ago and it still makes me cry.

Archived