Vladimir Weiss, why not?

siegementality

siegementality

He'll do for me. International player, proven winner as a manager, Champions League experience, has done wonders on a shoestring budget at Artmedia, what more could he have done?.

I think he could do well, not the big name we had hoped for but I think he is a good choice. I'd like to see him given his chance.

He'll do for me. International player, proven winner as a manager, Champions League experience, has done wonders on a shoestring budget at Artmedia, what more could he have done?.

I think he could do well, not the big name we had hoped for but I think he is a good choice. I'd like to see him given his chance.

Not a terrible choice I agree, but we could do better.

Guest JamboRobbo

I do think, if we're gonna go with someone who has no experience of the british or scottish game, he's a decent choice.

Personally, I think experience of the british game and knowledge of the scottish game is a must. IMO, to go with someone who lacks that experience is a massive gamble.

It could still work out, but even assuming he is a "good manager", it could also fail miserably through no fault of his own, just because it doesn't work out for him in a different country. I don't think we need to be taking that risk right now.

Proven winner at what level though Siege ? I know we have to start somewhere but this guy does nothing for me. I would rather have the Iceman and BT, best of a bad bunch to be honest.

Drylaw Hearts

IIRC, Eduard Malofeev has an impressive CV right up to where he joined Hearts.

Weiss appeared to have flopped in his only Season out his homeland.

How does his budget at Artmedia compare with other teams in that League ?

Far as I'm aware the bigger teams in the league are Slovan and Inter Bratislava who probably spend bigger? I wouldn'y imagine there is a huge amount of money in the slovakian leagues though and all the clubs are probably working from shoe string budgets.

it'd be interesting to see if he'd bring any of his players with him iirc there were a few handy ones who played against celtic.

Drylaw Hearts
Far as I'm aware the bigger teams in the league are Slovan and Inter Bratislava who probably spend bigger? I wouldn'y imagine there is a huge amount of money in the slovakian leagues though and all the clubs are probably working from shoe string budgets.

Household names eh !

siegementality

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Artmedia_Bratislava

The Artmedia budget compares very poorly to Celtic, Rankers, Porto, Inter Milan, but it didn't stop them beating Celtic 5-0, drawing twice with Rankers, Beating Porto once and drawing the other one and losing 0 - 1 to Inter Milan.

According to the above link the have an annual entire budget equal to the yearly salaries we were paying Tall and McCann.

IMO far and away the best option of the three.

IF it MUST be one of the three, he is the one I would choose.

I'm not going to be delighted if Weiss or Thor get the job but i certainly will be happy provided they are given full control of the team.

The Artmedia budget compares very poorly to Celtic, Rankers, Porto, Inter Milan, but it didn't stop them beating Celtic 5-0, drawing twice with Rankers, Beating Porto once and drawing the other one and losing 0 - 1 to Inter Milan.

According to the above link the have an annual entire budget equal to the yearly salaries we were paying Tall and McCann.

That was a great achievement, but surely the true comparison of how he does with a budget is how it compares against the teams he was up against domestically as Drylaw Hearts suggests?

I do think, if we're gonna go with someone who has no experience of the british or scottish game, he's a decent choice.

Personally, I think experience of the british game and knowledge of the scottish game is a must. IMO, to go with someone who lacks that experience is a massive gamble.

It could still work out, but even assuming he is a "good manager", it could also fail miserably through no fault of his own, just because it doesn't work out for him in a different country. I don't think we need to be taking that risk right now.

Thats a really good view on things.As you say and i don't think there is much don't the guy is a very good coach but then would it happen in Scotland for him.He would certainly be up against it from the start with the media and fans constantly questioning his decision and wondering if they are even his.

Drylaw Hearts

So he had a lucky run in Europe.

So did we once.

I grant you the guy seems to have a decent record within in his own backyard though.

But we aren't in his backyard.

On his only venture out of there he failed miserably.

My view on foriegn Managers in the SPL is that they very rarely work out.

Only Advocaat and Jansen have decent records.

That was a great achievement, but surely the true comparison of how he does with a budget is how it compares against the teams he was up against domestically as Drylaw Hearts suggests?

Well he won them there first ever title and has went back again and won the double.They are a small team.

Drylaw Hearts
Well he won he wn them there first ever title and has went back again and won the double.They are a small team.

Where do they sit in comparison to the other teams in that League though ?

Well he won them there first ever title and has went back again and won the double.They are a small team.

But so are all Slovak teams.

So did we once.

I grant you the guy seems to have a decent record within in his own backyard though.

It's quite easy to fail in Russia though when you are up against the mega bucks of Zenit and CSKA.How do Saturn usually perform in that league ?

siegementality

So did we once.

Come on! you don't get lucky runs in Europe. And tell me who were we lucky against when we had ours becuase I can only remember us being unlucky against Bayern in Bayern.

How many foreign managers have there been in the SPL?.

But so are all Slovak teams.

Just like every league they will have there bigger clubs.I meant in the context of the league they are a smaller team than others.

Dirk Diggler

Would like to hear/see who Weiss would bring with him.

Does he speak the language?

If he comes with his own people and doesn't speak English he'd be pi55ing into the wind from the off imo.

it'd be interesting to see if he'd bring any of his players with him iirc there were a few handy ones who played against celtic.

Juraj Halen?r was pretty good.

Household names eh !

they won the league and cup doubles in 2000 and 2001. I'd heard of them from somewhere.

But the standard of the slovakian league is such that it doesn't appear there is much between any of the teams.

If he comes with his own people and doesn't speak English he'd be pi55ing into the wind from the off imo.

He speaks a little english.

Juraj Halen?r was pretty good.

Still at Artmedia by the looks of it. Artmedia signed him for a whopping 20million* though! ;) could we afford to lure him here :P

portobellojambo1

Is he the manager you were hoping for, or is what you really mean that he is the best of a pretty ordinary 3 names that have popped up recently.

An awful lot of emphasis seems to be getting put on the fact Artmedia have had one good run in Europe, in that they are far from alone, and he has spent well in a league where there is no money, however, more truthfully, not a lot of competition. In relation to having experience of the British game winning 5-0 versus Celtic then losing 4-0 versus them in Glasgow isn't really what I would class as having said experience.

I think out of the candidates that have been mentioned over the last two days i would prefer Thor but i wouldnt be too upset with Weiss.

Everything ive read about Thor makes me think that hes the type of manager we need i.e. someone who'll sort out the discipline within the club.

Still at Artmedia by the looks of it. Artmedia signed him for a whopping 20million* though! ;) could we afford to lure him here :P

:laugh:

At Artmedia he plays his third season now. 2005/06 he scored 6 times in 28 matches, 2006/07 he made 9 goals in 29 matches. In the first 11 matches of the current season he striked 11 times.

He wasn't too prolific in his first two seasons (It's probably prolific by our current standards) but he's scored 11 in 11 this season.

Dirk Diggler
He speaks a little english.

Not what I was wanting to hear.

Someone from his management team must be able to speak fluent English imo.

We've all been witness to the problems which it can cause otherwise.

Is he the manager you were hoping for, or is what you really mean that he is the best of a pretty ordinary 3 names that have popped up recently.

An awful lot of emphasis seems to be getting put on the fact Artmedia have had one good run in Europe, in that they are far from alone, and he has spent well in a league where there is no money, however, more truthfully, not a lot of competition. In relation to having experience of the British game winning 5-0 versus Celtic then losing 4-0 versus them in Glasgow isn't really what I would class as having said experience.

Every name we have been linked with is ordinary i mean what are McGhee,Davies,Levein or JJ on the european stage ?

Big names in Scotland yes but outside of it Championship level at best.The only problem with this guy is could he adapt as there is no doubt he is a good coach.As for the above Scots of course i would be pleased if we got any of them.

I'm not hugely worried about that in comparison to some of the other concerns. He could learn English quite quickly I'm sure.

siegementality

Slovak Koruna, I'll leave you to do the maths.

Drylaw Hearts
Come on! you don't get lucky runs in Europe. And tell me who were we lucky against when we had ours becuase I can only remember us being unlucky against Bayern in Bayern.

How many foreign managers have there been in the SPL?.

Rangers ?

They were stinkin in every game I watched.

I will never know how they made it to the Final.

Foriegn Managers in the Top League in Scotland since 1990 :

Ebbe Skovdahl

Liam Brady

Wim Janson

Jozef Venglos

John Barnes (Jamaican);)

Ivan Golac

Valdas Ivanauskas

Eduard Malofeev

Anatoli Korobochka

Angel Cerenkov

Mixi Paatelainen

Harry Kampman

Dick Advocaat

Paul Le Guen

Taking out John Barnes, the only 2 that have a decent record is Advocaat and Janson - and he was only here for a year.

portobellojambo1

From what I have been reading about on the internet he speaks little, probably more accurate to say no, English, but speaks fluent Russian.

Not that that would influence the selection process I don't think, would it, :rolleyes:

Guest JamboRobbo

i'd say if he was taking over an established squad with a base to build on, it'd be a lot easier for someone to come into a new country.

I think coming in and needing to rebuild from basically nothing is where we are at, and I think that would be a much tougher task.

I was trying to think of an English speaking Slovak with a connection to Scottish football who would be useful for Weiss to have on his coaching staff. The only man I could think of...and those of you of hunnish disposition look away now....is Lubo Moravcik, the former Celtic player who is currently coaching Slovakia's under 17's. Would probably make sense is Weiss is indeed our man.

Dirk Diggler
I'm not hugely worried about that in comparison to some of the other concerns. He could learn English quite quickly I'm sure.

Well I'm not sure.

What do we do whilst he is learning?

Will his instructions at pre season be clear enough for the players to follow?

Ffs, Ivanauskas spoke pretty good English and at times the players were struggling to understand.

This would be a risky appointment imo, out of the 3 I'd prefer this Icelandic character.

I suspect we might end up with neither.

I was trying to think of an English speaking Slovak with a connection to Scottish football who would be useful for Weiss to have on his coaching staff. The only man I could think of...and those of you of hunnish disposition look away now....is Lubo Moravcik, the former Celtic player who is currently coaching Slovakia's under 17's. Would probably make sense is Weiss is indeed our man.

Tomaschek

Well I'm not sure.

What do we do whilst he is learning?

Will his instructions at pre season be clear enough for the players to follow?

Ffs, Ivanauskas spoke pretty good English and at times the players were struggling to understand.

This would be a risky appointment imo, out of the 3 I'd prefer this Icelandic character.

I suspect we might end up with neither.

Agree - very risky appointment. Only point I was making is that the basics of English can be picked up very quickly, so wouldn't say no to him purely on that basis. Would be more around the fact that we can do a whole lot better.

Dirk Diggler
i'd say if he was taking over an established squad with a base to build on, it'd be a lot easier for someone to come into a new country.

I think coming in and needing to rebuild from basically nothing is where we are at, and I think that would be a much tougher task.

Agreed and that's why the 'Iceman' aided by Butcher would be my first choice out of the 3 names quoted.

I'd still rather have someone else though tbh.

siegementality

Come on, do you really think if it was down to me Weiss would be my fisrt choice as manager! No he is not the manager I was hoping for (but then McGhee wasn't either) and yes what I really mean is he is the best out of the three mention. But then again I think you knew that.

Everyone seems to be getting hung up on this "experience of the British game", where did that term come from?, who exactly fed us that line?, oh aye Hearts, the same Hearts that are looking at Weiss who doesn't have that experience, funny that eh. Then again beggars can't be choosers.

I'm sure the Chelsea punters will be spewing old Phil Scolari has been given their job, he has hee haw "experience of the British game"

Tomashek

God you speak sense.

If we had any other owner than Vlad i think he might have been able to come in and do ok but because he is foriegn and spaeks very little english at best people are always going to think he is being undermined and add to that the total lack of morale alreafy in our squad it may be to hard to get his views across quickly enough.He just would not get the time to succeed.

One report I read (EEN?) said he speaks Russian, German and decent English. A lot could depend on who his assistant(s) would be, in the initial period at least.

He has proved he can win things, is young enough, keen to come and will not have the mind-set that the OF are unbeatable, given that his team already gave Celtic a good humping. I'm warming to this guy.

And for those who think his league is not up to much, remember that Fergie started at E. Stirling and Shankly managed some lower league clubs. Others like Dalglish, Mowbray and Souness had no experience at all when they got their big break into management.

siegementality
Rangers ?

They were stinkin in every game I watched.

I will never know how they made it to the Final.

Foriegn Managers in the Top League in Scotland since 1990 :

Ebbe Skovdahl

Liam Brady

Wim Janson

Jozef Venglos

John Barnes (Jamacian);)

Ivan Golac

Valdas Ivanauskas

Eduard Malofeev

Anatoli Korobochka

Angel Cerenkov

Mixi Paatelainen

Harry Kampman

Dick Advocaat

Paul Le Guen

Taking out John Barnes, the only 2 that have a decent record is Advocaat and Janson - and he was only here for a year.

Feck off, half the fecking list are Hearts failures, sorry not having that.

Dirk Diggler
A lot could depend on who his assistant(s) would be, in the initial period at least.

Absolutely.

Drylaw Hearts
Feck off, half the fecking list are Hearts failures, sorry not having that.

You've got no option.

Those are the facts I'm afraid.

Archived