77 year old woman mugged

H.A.N.S

Broken elbow and pelvis, last Saturday in the Calder area. Facing surgery. Just on forth news.

Say What Again
Broken elbow and pelvis, last Saturday in the Calder area. Facing surgery. Just on forth news.

Saturday afternoon at the underpass - the 6th mugging in 4 months

Pensioner in hospital after mugger strikes in danger underpass

By ALAN McEWEN - CRIME REPORTER

AN elderly woman suffered a broken pelvis and elbow after being robbed by a man in a city underpass which is a notorious mugging hotspot.

The 77-year-old victim was walking through the Calder Road underpass in Sighthill when the suspect grabbed her handbag.

The pensioner was knocked to the ground and left screaming in agony while her attacker fled down Sighthill Wynd.

It was the sixth mugging in one of the four Calder Road underpasses in the last four months.

A woman who heard the elderly woman's screams following the incident at 3.15pm on Saturday called an ambulance and the victim was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. She is still in hospital where she is awaiting an operation.

A man who walked through the underpass after the incident followed in the direction of the suspect, and found him discarding items from the bag in Sighthill Wynd with another two men. Most of the contents of the bag have been recovered, minus cash.

Two middle-aged women, one of whom was wearing a red top, were seen walking in the area at the time of the attack. Detectives are keen to trace them, as they may be able to provide more information regarding the incident.

The suspect is described as being, white, around 6ft tall, late teens to early 20s, with short dark hair. He was wearing blue jeans and a distinctive dark blue top, which has a continuous light blue band running from over his left shoulder to under his right arm.

A police spokeswoman said: "This has been a terrifying experience for the lady involved, and it's important anyone with any information about the incident comes forward. In particular we would like to trace two women, one of whom was wearing a red top, who are known to have been in the area at the time, and would urge them to contact us as soon as possible.

"Alternatively, if anyone recognises the description of the suspect, we would be keen to hear from them."

In April, a gang of muggers held a knife to the throat of a 28-year-old pregnant mother in front of her two young children in a robbery at the underpass between Calder Road and Longstone Road.

The underpasses under Calder Road include those to Sighthill Shopping Centre, Broomhouse Road and Wester Hailes Road, leading to Stevenson College.

EEN

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I hope it isn't old Mrs McDougall again :sad:

She got mugged once before, but continues to walk around Sighthill at strange times. I seen here walking along Calder Road at about 11.30pm two Saturdays ago.

I'll give the old dear credit though, she an old trooper.

This is just sick, i was brought up in the prefabs in that area Calder Loan and whilst it could be a bit rough noboby ever mugged an old lady or anyone else for that matter, how times have changed indeed:mad:

Anyone that walks around *****hill on their own needs their head examined. Especially the underpasses.

I appreciate there may be posters who live there, this isnt aimed at the genuinely nice folk who live there (i've met a couple!) but rather the minority of drugged up **** who hang about making others lives a misery.

maroonlegions

bring back national service for these morons , lets see how hard and brave they are after a spell in the armed forces eh.:cool:

Who are these people?

Some folks on here must know who they are.

Yobs are not a secret society, if you live in the area you can identify the street or block they live in. How come so many get away with this?

Who are these people?

Some folks on here must know who they are.

Yobs are not a secret society, if you live in the area you can identify the street or block they live in. How come so many get away with this?

Nobody will grass their mates off though would they?

Or so many people have said in previous threads.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Anyone that walks around *****hill on their own needs their head examined. Especially the underpasses.

I appreciate there may be posters who live there, this isnt aimed at the genuinely nice folk who live there (i've met a couple!) but rather the minority of drugged up **** who hang about making others lives a misery.

Done it for years. Never experienced ANY bother at all.

I suppose some folk are luckier than others.

winston churchill

she stays in hermiston court.(cant go in to details)but dont worry police have some nice photos from the cctv street cameras;).

Jam Tarts 1874

They need to get CCTV at those underpasses, lots of people use them especially the elderly, mums, kids etc on their way to the Sighthill Clinic in particular.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
They need to get CCTV at those underpasses, lots of people use them especially the elderly, mums, kids etc on their way to the Sighthill Clinic in particular.

That is probably the problem. Junkie central that place.

I hope it isn't old Mrs McDougall again :sad:

She got mugged once before, but continues to walk around Sighthill at strange times. I seen here walking along Calder Road at about 11.30pm two Saturdays ago.

I'll give the old dear credit though, she an old trooper.

Is she no deid yet?!

I mind she used to walk about a good 15 years ago. You'd always hear her before I seen her with her walking stick hitting the ground!

winston churchill

they have,but they are hard to see;)

Find the evil ***** that done it and shoot him/her

The world doesn't need their sort

although in reality they will get caught and be given 3 seconds community sentence in a brothel or something:sad:

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Is she no deid yet?!

I mind she used to walk about a good 15 years ago. You'd always hear her before I seen her with her walking stick hitting the ground!

Not sure. I'm sure it was her I seen a few weeks back. I may be mistaken though. I hope she's still going strong - sorry I hope her and her stick are still going strong.

A role model for all OAPs.

:)

Archived