Cathro has been in the job for two and a bit months.

AlimOzturk

And there are already some fans saying the "Cathro experiment has failed" :muggy:

I am not happy with recent results and performances but we have lost our best player to injury, replaced our head coach, got rid of half the first team and whilst made a few signing have yet to replace them all yet.

Should we just sack Cathro now and go on a merry go round of manages like the good old Vlad days?

ming the merciless

I read his interview on BBC website with Tom English a few days ago. Was 100% impressed by what he said and the way he came across. Completely confident he's the right guy for us but he will need time. Looks like we're going through a fairly major clear out of players, judging by the January window. Sounds like a plan to me, let him get his team in place and see if he can back his words up!

He will succeed or fail through the actions of the players. But also through what qualities he can instil in them as a group.

His stats must be amongst the worst 'starts' for any Hearts manager?

And with the changes in personnel from now it will be his team so no leeway for team legacy issues.

Significant pressure on him because it might be his only chance in management.

RenfrewHearts

His first game was the 10th of December. That's only a month and a half, including a 3 week break. Some of the chat is beyond belief.

Bring on the Hibees..

:sweeet:

Not calling for his head yet but don't think it's unacceptable to point out things need to improve and quick. Yeah it can be hard for a new manager coming in but one thing they shouldn't do is make the team worse, and that's what's happened so far.

As I said on another thread, although the results haven't been great, you can see he is improving the team and squad with the guys he's brought in. Sowah, hughes, struna, martin all look top notch, compared to some of the duds robbie brought in.

It's probably expected that we'll have indifferent results until he gets his players in and they gel, plus gets his vision over.

I'm confident he'll be good for us and the changes he's making will take us to the next level

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Not calling for his head yet but don't think it's unacceptable to point out things need to improve and quick. Yeah it can be hard for a new manager coming in but one thing they shouldn't do is make the team worse, and that's what's happened so far.

Absolutely spot on.

Good, your posting is chronic.

Robbie didn't survive it and he had us in 2ND place. That's more I'm saying.

It's all fun and games until we get beat by Hibs. That's all I'm saying.

At the moment we are not good enough to beat Hibs IMO. The new players need a bit of time on the training pitch to gel. Will we be ready in time? Dunno.

What if one of your main goal threats and key players is injured??

I repeat: had Callum Paterson been injured in the first game of this season there is absolutely no ****ing way we would have been anywhere near third. 

Robbie Neilson chose to leave Hearts. Even though we were in "2nd" place (cough cough). 

Predicted well before todays game that some zoomers would be raging if we didn't get a result against Celtic. Lo and behold....seems that a few new faces automatically build such ludicrous expectancies in some that we are world beaters.

But more worryingly some have made their mind up about Cathro already, and have their knives out even before the transfer window has closed and he can have any chance to build any semblance of his own squad.

Robbie Neilson chose to leave Hearts. Even though we were in "2nd" place (cough cough).

Exactly.

He knew there was a large part of our support that would never forgive him.

Sounds ridiculous I know.

Having to deal with 18 months of regression comprising an unbalanced squad with no pace

Hardly 18 months of regression but Cathro deserves and needs more time before he can be judged.

At the moment we are not good enough to beat Hibs IMO. The new players need a bit of time on the training pitch to gel. Will we be ready in time? Dunno.

Totally agree.

This Goncalvez lad could of been the difference between winning and losing but now that Souttar is out, we've got serious problems.

We've not improved one iota since Cathro came in.

I'd be as bold to say that we've gotten worse.

He has been here for just over two months ffs

jamboinglasgow

He has been in charge of 8 games so far. Of which 2 were against the old firm away from home. 2 were against Raith Rovers. 1 was against Aberdeen (so more than a third of the games were against teams above us.)  So it has hardly been an easy time. I also think after the Dundee game he identified one of the biggest problems for us which is mentality. He has brought in or is bringing in seasoned veterans in, so Hughes for the back line, Tziolis for the midfield. Add in a huge rebuild it will take time. Of course if a couple months go by and we aren't improving then questions will be started to be asked.

The club are backing him and believe in him if they are allowing such a major restructure. Lets hope he delivers on it and the players do as well

Needs time to build. Knee jerk reactions are ridiculous and have always proved so. People who are wanting change again - seriously ? Get a grip. I'm totally behind him and convinced given time he'll get us on track. I can't emphasise enough where we were 4 years ago and we will get there

We've not improved one iota since Cathro came in.

I'd be as bold to say that we've gotten worse.

He's having to rebuild the whole squad. What do you actually expect in 2 months ? And one mid season window that hasn't even closed yet ?

He's came in and realised quickly we needed better at LB, CH, midfield and up front and that we needed more pace in the side.

The players he's brought in individually have mainly looked decent, we appear to be on the brink of announcing a couple of very exciting signings.

He inherited a tough run of games and has lost our two best players through bad luck and bad timing.

He's made some decisions that he needs to back up in letting Ozturk, Rossi and Muirhead go, but overall I think we will have a better squad at the end of the window than at the start of it and we will get better quite quickly.

Hardly 18 months of regression but Cathro deserves and needs more time before he can be judged.

I'd argue squad Neilson left behind was inferior to Championship winning squad

Gordon Ramsay

We've got worse, sadly.

We desperately need to start picking up some results, starting with the Rangers game.

Francis Albert

He's having to rebuild the whole squad. What do you actually expect in 2 months ? And one mid season window that hasn't even closed yet ?

The whole squad that was second at the beginning of December and is now fourth far adrift of Rangers and Aberdeen and level with St Johnstone? And slipping fast.

I don't tnink many are saying the Cathro experiment has failed. But we've not yet seen any sign of improvement. The reverse in fact.

The whole squad that was second at the beginning of December and is now fourth far adrift of Rangers and Aberdeen and level with St Johnstone? And slipping fast.

I don't tnink many are saying the Cathro experiment has failed. But we've not yet seen any sign of improvement. The reverse in fact.

We were second for a day as we had played more games. Neilsons side was eye bleeding to watch and a blind man could see it was needing surgery. Major surgery.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

We were second for a day as we had played more games. Neilsons side was eye bleeding to watch and a blind man could see it was needing surgery. Major surgery.

That's all you needed to say. Because we all now the main reason people didn't like Neilson.

I know you would but I don't agree. :)

Neilson's squad wasn't very good. Not judging Cathro till December. Will give him the rest of this season, plus preseason to further implement his ideas and then through to December to see if its been effective or not

Bet Cathro wishes he had a full preseason before embarking on a campaign against a bunch of part-timers like a certain someone else did in his first managerial role.

He's also having to deal with 2 of our first team players suffering season ending injuries, another just coming back from a bad one, and two others being away at a mickey mouse tournament.

We'd all prefer better results/performances at the moment but the guy needs time. Write off this league campaign, get these new signings in and settled and hopefully make a decent stab at a cup run.

I'm glad to see Cathro is identifying problems that have been exposed repeatedly this season, and is looking to bring in experienced players to sort this out.

What does frustrate me however, and this isn't a gripe with him, is the general recruitment policy at the club over the last few years. Very few players seem settled at the club. Players move on all the time and that just part and parcel of modern football but it feels like one key reason why we seem to lack strong leaders on the pitch right now is that few members of that squad have actually been Hearts players for a significant period of time. Formerly key figures in the team have suddenly found themselves frozen out at short notice, and there seems to be a real emphasis on looking at a player's re-sale value, rather than focusing on what that player can actually do for us.

I'm obviously prepared to give the benefit of the doubt until the summer. I really hope Cathro does turn things around, as the start he's made hasn't been too promising.

Management is not unlike a golf swing. You change something, you don't see improvement straight away and in fact you may get worse. However, with persistence and gentle tweaking results will show.

I'd be happy to give him till Christmas before judging him.

Many people will agree with you.

Based on results so far this year, I'd also say that we are inferior to our squad last year.

But surely that's more RN's fault than Cathro's.

Management is not unlike a golf swing. You change something, you don't see improvement straight away and in fact you may get worse. However, with persistence and gentle tweaking results will show.

I'd be happy to give him till Christmas before judging him.

Another 11 months?  You are a very patient person.

Geoff the Mince

Robbie walked out .

As much as Robbie was a success, we always looked fragile and vulnerable to a kicking from teams that would fight harder. Cathro identified this early and has set about trying to instill a mentality that drags us through games as he knows that in this league, you rarely get by with total football. As said above, bringing in Hughes etc is a deliberate ploy to address this mind set.

The problem with performing such major surgery is that it exposes serious weaknesses and means that we go backwards initially. From what I have saw and heard of Cathro, he is addressing the very areas that most of us have saw in the team for the last 2 years. He is introducing pace, mentality, pressing and players in their correct positions. This has meant some players going and others leaving but that had to happen to bring about change and make it sustainable. JJ done exactly the same thing in his first spell as our manager and we all know how that turned out.

However, I trust him 100%. Despite some poor results, you could see from spells within some games that he is introducing a brand of football that we have craved for years. If bringing success means taking a step back to take 3 forward, I am more than up for it.

Happy to given him rest of this season with no expectations at all.

I have two expectations.

First and foremost - we must beat Hibs in a couple of weeks. Losing to them will send this place in to meltdown. A performance like yesterday and we WONT beat hibs - we MUST do better against them.

Secondly, we really need to be finishing top 6. Slipping in to the bottom six would be well outwith the goals for the season.

We are going backwards at an alarming rate. Not sure where I can see our next win coming from, February could be a long month!

Not sure that quick crowd pleasing short term signings can be classed as rebuilding for the future. Assuming Motherwell will be another typical away day we really have to beat Hibs. No point even getting excited about Wednesday. Rangers are organised and are settled I fear a bad night ahead.

Stephen Muddie

Bet Cathro wishes he had a full preseason before embarking on a campaign against a bunch of part-timers like a certain someone else did in his first managerial role.

He's also having to deal with 2 of our first team players suffering season ending injuries, another just coming back from a bad one, and two others being away at a mickey mouse tournament.

We'd all prefer better results/performances at the moment but the guy needs time. Write off this league campaign, get these new signings in and settled and hopefully make a decent stab at a cup run.

Good post. Some hearts "supporters" make me sick. It's always been thus. Prior to VR we used to support our team a lot better. We have grown substantially since then so it's not all bad. I know they put their money in like everyone but still...

What happened to our spirit and the siege mentality?

Archived