laurel and hardy

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

anyone else think they were a class act , remember watching them as a wee boy and still think they are hilarious , one of a kind double act ,the one film that they done and sticks in my mind as really funny is the scene when they are getting ready to go to a private meeting and stan puts on olies cloths and boots by mistake and they both try to get stans cloths on olie .:107years:

I P Knightley

Agreed.

Favourite scenes include:

In the Foreign Legion, turning their hats the wrong way round to keep sand out their eyes.

Going through the multi-multi-section concertina purse /wallet thing trying to find money.

Stan 'sparking' his thumb to give a light.

Stan leaning against a wall, putting his index finger in his mouth, blowing and his bowler hat coming up.

Delivering the piano.

Nowadays all very, very simple humour but, for me, timeless. The stuff that I laugh at nowadays, panel shows & the odd sketch show won't last as long - I'm sure.

I P Knightley
Best ever. Fact.

Hmmm. Buster Keaton? Harold Lloyd? Abbot & Costello?

OK, that last one was not a serious suggestion - I couldn't think of any other double acts.

Stan and Olly, Old stone face and Harolt Lloyd all comedy greats from the days when comedy really was funny and not the foul mouthed drivel that passes for comedy today.

glentoranhearts

Absolutely adored them as a kid and even now i still chuckle away when i see them

Sadly you dont see them to much on TV

The ones that are shown are IMO not always the best

Maybe something to do with who owns the rights

One that sticks out for me is when Oliver breaks his leg , heads for the hills to recuperate with Stan in tow

All h ell break loose when the water they are drinking turns out to be bootleg gear hastily left prior to thier arrival

Sheer class and TBH there are so many :)

Sadly you dont see them to much on TV

I bought the DVD box set for ?50 after being tipped off about it by someone on here. Brilliant buy.

It all looks a bit slow and dated now but they were a class act.

They had no 'dubbing' on sound in those days and I read they had to do the films again reading idiot boards in foreign languages to sell into Europe. I have never checked that out but wonder if it's true.

Great talent.

tommythejambo

I'm 18 and think it's top drawer.

It has dated but for good-old slapstick comedy, it's top drawer.

Hmmm. Buster Keaton? Harold Lloyd? Abbot & Costello?

OK, that last one was not a serious suggestion - I couldn't think of any other double acts.

Ant and Dec :rolleyes:

Archived