Boy faces boot from Cubs after refusing Queen's oath on religious grounds

red21

That's simply my opinion of her. I couldn't care less if anyone agrees or not, it's simply my opinion.

Similarly, your opinion of Alex Salmond is not exactly complimentary to him, your avatar is an example of this. Do you consider your posted opinion of him to be trolling?

Anyone know where can I get an avatar of a gin soaked old trout ?:):):)

Guest S.U.S.S.
Ha, fair enough. :)

Only some of mine are. That wasn't one of them. ;)

Sorry for insinuating it was then, i can sometimes read slightly (massively) more into posts than was intended.:)

In this case it looks like it's the Cubs that are demanding that their 'doctrine' take precedence over anything else.

That may be so, but they're not telling the lad he'll burn forever in the fiery furnace if he doesn't comply.

Sheriff Fatman
I was a cub too and i do seem to remember the "i will do my best for god and the queen" part at the start of each meeting. It's more tradition than ideology of the organisation but my point is the same - if you don't agree, don't send your kids.

As it says 'Do my duty to God and the Queen', I would still object on the grounds that it is impossible to have a duty to a mythical being like God, so how could I 'do' it. As to the Queen, she's a good tourist attraction, but nothing else, so why would I have a duty to her. Swearing an oath to the country I can see, but a fairy story and a person represents nothing more than getting money off of tourists is pointless.

That may be so, but they're not telling the lad he'll burn forever in the fiery furnace if he doesn't comply.

Heh heh! I love this therapist guy!!

At this little fella's age non-conformity appears to be a by product of his Maw's ideals.

I wonder if mother refused to join the Brownies as a girl, because they were coloured!! I know, let's start a bairn's troop called the Kafflik Whiteys !!

Oh and by the way, if you dunno what CUBS stands for it's....................

Children Ur Bigoted ****!!!

Bye the noo.

Carl Weathers

I'd advise them not to send the kid to the BB's.

I can't see them being impressed when he works towards his Queen's badge!

:confused:

Sheriff Fatman
I'd advise them not to send the kid to the BB's.

I can't see them being impressed when he works towards his Queen's badge!

:confused:

I would advice all parents not to send their kids to the BBs. Why would a parent want their kid to go to a paramilitary bible bashers group.;)

heartgarfunkel

Some brilliantly strange opinions on this thread. Why on earth do the Cubs want kids to swear allegiance to anything, other than being nice to their pals?

The link between British monarch and Scottish protestantism is a complex one. In theory, only episcopalians should feel comfortable with the monarch, as the monarchy has long had a difficult relationship with presbyterians (of which I am one), starting with James VI in the 1580s, and reaching an all-time low with the butchery of the 1660s-80s ('Killing Times' of Scottish covenanting presbyterians under the monarchy of Charles II, a protestant episcopalian who never forgave the Scottish protestant prebyterians for initiating the ousting of his Scottish-born, 'bishop-loving' father, Charles I). I just wish all those schemie tax-sucking parasites who 'march' knew their history, and that Pope Alexander VIII ordered, and financed, wild celebrations in Rome, to mark the news of the defeat of Louis XIV's ally, James VII & II, at the battle of the Boyne in 1690.

Carl Weathers
I would advice all parents not to send their kids to the BBs. Why would a parent want their kid to go to a paramilitary bible bashers group.;)

The fellowship?

Sure and Steadfast!!

The best bit is "I am not asking for special treatment. I would just like him to be a Cub Scout without compromising on what he believes in"

Er no Tracy Anne, that is exactly what you are asking for.

If Tracy Anne and her offspring have firmly held views then good for them. The Scouting movement is not forcing her to change her beliefs so why the bloody hell does she think she has the right to enforce her beliefs on them?

It's quite simple kids, if you do not wish to swear an oath to God and Queen then do not join an organisation that insists on this.

I think there is fault on all sides - the mother is wrong to use her son as a political tool, but at the same time, why must anyone swear an oath to a bigoted, out of date institution?

I personally would not swear an oath to the current monarch, or any monarch - that's got more to do with the fact that I'm a staunch Republicans, than because they are bigoted institution.

jambopompey

sorry what did you just post.

i did go to the BB's, not once did they ever bring paramilitary bible bashing to it.

we even had catholics in our BB's, yes we had religious stuff, which was basic sunday school stuff, a few stories from the bible (which i do believe that both prodestant and catholic religions go with) what it gave me was a moral understanding for others, how to be kind to others. how to respect others, you know that i have noticed the decline of members of such groups like the BB's and the scouts and a rise of unruly behaviour of some of the youth today

Sheriff Fatman

i did go to the BB's, not once did they ever bring paramilitary bible bashing to it.

we even had catholics in our BB's, yes we had religious stuff, which was basic sunday school stuff, a few stories from the bible (which i do believe that both prodestant and catholic religions go with) what it gave me was a moral understanding for others, how to be kind to others. how to respect others, you know that i have noticed the decline of members of such groups like the BB's and the scouts and a rise of unruly behaviour of some of the youth today

It didn't teach you that somebody who says something with a wink isn't being totaly serious though did it.

Thats why I think its wrong to disqualify kids from these groups because of their/their parents political or religious beliefs.To disqualify a child from joining in activities with their friends in these circumstances is UNCHRISTIAN

Boab Mugabe

When I was in the Cubs I don't remember being in some moral quandry swearing allegiance to the Queen...

I certainly can't remember any anti-Catholic goings on when I was there either. Much to the contrary, in fact.

The story here is a vhile mother indoctrinating her kid to have her twisted view of the world where Catholic doctrine takes place above anything else and that Catholics should be divided from society. Sad. :(

When I was in the Cubs I don't remember being in some moral quandry swearing allegiance to the Queen...

I certainly can't remember any anti-Catholic goings on when I was there either. Much to the contrary, in fact.

The story here is a vhile mother indoctrinating her kid to have her twisted view of the world where Catholic doctrine takes place above anything else and that Catholics should be divided from society. Sad. :(

Yep, she is a sad character indeed.

She is denying her son a childhood by trying to make him as bitter as she obviously is.

doctor jambo

Honestly- "the 1701 Act of Settlement says" -

A Tracey Anne who is an expert on these kind of things can only indicate

inbred, Catholic, West Coast, Schemie Bigotry at its worst

We all say things we dont mean to enjoy ourselves/get jobs/join clubs

Why should he be any different?

Where is my job application to become a Priest -after all they couldnt discriminate against me becasue I'm a married, sexually (in)active, protestant could they?

Went to the BBs myself for a bit (mainly just to play in the football team!), but ended up leaving as I couldn't handle the Church of Scotland/God Save The Queen etc etc overtones which seemed to permeate everything we did. Could never figure out why the leaders always seemed to be police either. Makes a bit more sense now, funnily enough. Maybe if I'd stuck in I'd be earning a bit more now! ;)

joe kickass2
Personally, I agree with the current rules.

Being Head of State is obviously a very important position, and the catholic faith is at odds with much of what goes on in modern Britain - abortion for example. Personally, I think it'd be unfair on the country and the (catholic) Head of State to suffer the moral pain and anguish of being caught between such polar opposites.

Italy and France have legalised abortion (up to 12 weeks) more if its for health reasons.

Tony Blair converted to RC shortly after standing down as PM and we have a limit of 24 weeks.

JFK first catholic US president, a liberal icon, wasn't influenced by (at the time) a very conservative church.

Modern Britain? Head of state is a figurehead, no powers, no decisions to make. No polarisation.

What's the particular beef with catholics? Why not the wee frees, muslims, hindus, jews. All have doctrines that are largely ignored by their flock.

John Findlay
But it's not his beliefs on which he is being discriminated. His Mother is basically coming up with a way of having a pop at the Monarchy using her, and her son's, religion as an excuse.

As far as I am aware there is no mantra in the RC faith about swearing allegiance to monarchs.

Any MP who is a Catholic will have to have sworn an oath of allegiance to the Queen. No problem for them. Any RC in the armed forces will have to have sworn allegiance to the Queen (even those from the Rep of Ireland too!)

This merely highlights the "different sides of the same coin" mentality that exists in the West of Scotland regarding the Protestant/Catholic schism. In other words it's all utter bollocks but these plebs feel they have to go on and on about it ad nauseum as it gives them the excuse that they need to feel hard done by in their tawdry, shallow, schemie, little lives.

Spot on Boris.

Ireland and Northern Ireland are moving on. Those idiots mainly in the West of Scotland are still stuck in the 17th century.

John

Archived