It's frightening how far Hearts have fallen in two years

bighalders

It wan't so long ago Herts were linked with Nevio Scala (UEFA Cup Winner) Bobby Robson, George Burley(!) as manager. Looking at the list of current contenders allegedly on Vlads shortlist make worrying reading. These guys have achieved nothing of note to get genuinely excited about. We've a guy who beat Celtic 5-0, very good but a one off, he's won things in a third rate league thats it. We've another guy who called his chairman an a*se**le and is seemingly a bit of a character, again so what, not good enough. Then finally a guy already in the Vlad pyramid, enough said about him.

The Hearts job used to be a job that many experienced managers would really covete, seemingly not now. Why can't we get Scala, or Davies or Levein etc, why can't we attract a manager who has considerable European experience and has won something in Europe, where are all the top names that not so long ago would have been linked to Hearts if there was a vacancy.

Don't really think that if the three that are quoted are really Vlads short list that this is good enough, no where near.

Griclesfield

i think the reason these guys dont go for the job is pure media and fans speculation.

davies has come out and said he is interested but is not applying ... so that to me means he doesnt want the job .. i want to get a new job but i wont get one if i dont apply either.

Levein has the freedom of dundee ( the orange half ) and if he had any sense wouldnt come to hearts for his own sake .... and Scala .. i dont think he even exsists.

The 3 guys that are linked with the job are probably at the moment the more realistic options given our situation. Out the 3 i would prefer the icelandic mentalist - he sounds like what were looking for, however not really got the best track record.

Guest JamboRobbo

I THINK ROMANOV MEDDLES IN TEAM SELECTION.

No, no, Vlad doesn't meddle. It's all just a media and SFA conspiracy. Otherwise we'd be SPL champions right now, with wondercoach Malofeev in charge (he's a fitness EXPERT don't ya know).....oh, and burley is a drunk. And pressley a traitor. etc etc

All hail Vlad.

Victor Meldrew
It wan't so long ago Herts were linked with Nevio Scala (UEFA Cup Winner) Bobby Robson, George Burley(!) as manager. Looking at the list of current contenders allegedly on Vlads shortlist make worrying reading. These guys have achieved nothing of note to get genuinely excited about. We've a guy who beat Celtic 5-0, very good but a one off, he's won things in a third rate league thats it. We've another guy who called his chairman an a*se**le and is seemingly a bit of a character, again so what, not good enough. Then finally a guy already in the Vlad pyramid, enough said about him.

The Hearts job used to be a job that many experienced managers would really covete, seemingly not now. Why can't we get Scala, or Davies or Levein etc, why can't we attract a manager who has considerable European experience and has won something in Europe, where are all the top names that not so long ago would have been linked to Hearts if there was a vacancy.

Don't really think that if the three that are quoted are really Vlads short list that this is good enough, no where near.

As I'v said elsewhere, the Celtic result wasn't a one-off. That Artmedia team went on from the Celtic game to get through the next round and into the Champions League group stage. They beat Porto (having been 2-0 down) and finished 3rd in their group, making it into the UEFA Cup. In fact IIRC, they weren't a million miles away from getting through the Group Stage.

OK so that was one season, but it is a great achievement for a team from a 'third rate league' (as you put it). It's certainly more than any SPL team from outside the OF has achieved.

In any event, I don't know whether it is right to dismiss the Slovakian League in such a way. I honestly know nothing about it. But the fact that Artmedia did so well in the CL perhaps provides some evidence that they aren't as bad as all that. Anyway, down here virtually everyone thinks the SPL is third rate (at best). Even though Der Hun got to the UEFA Cup final, it has been the source of much mirth that a team so bad could get so far in a European competition.

When you consider the managerial giants that Weiss would be competing against, why shouldn't he be a success? He's already shown he can prevail over Strachan. Should he be afraid of the likes of Paatelainen, Calderwod, Hughes and MacPherson? I don't think so.

As for his supposed failure in Russia, again it is not a league I know a great deal about other than that it has provided European finalists (and winners ;)) in recent times and there is a ton of money sloshing around there. OK, 11th wasn't too impressive, but who's to say that he did particularly badly on the basis of that? Many managers have had less than brilliant chapters in their history - Burley's Ipswich got relegated after their 5th place finish and lost 9-0. Should we have been up in arms about his appointment? No, of course not.

Don't forget Levien failed dismally in the english Championship too!

IF we appoint this guy, then I will be optimistic about things. The same cannot be said if we appoint Zygmantovitch (or whatever it is he is called).

Re the theme of this thread

Funnily enough I thought that this morning. The reason was actually a wind up thread from a hobo that was banned who again noted something about Hearts going bust (getting boring) what follows was a serious of great replies and attachments from youtube and others with the Hampden 4-0 drubbing and the other one at Tynie where we scored four being played to some great music. I almost had tears of laughter and sadness at the same time cos as brilliant as they were and the movement/goals fantastic a part of me was realising precisely what this thread is called. To see Hartleys score a hat trick against the hobos and the delight AND seemingly camaradarie (sp?) amongst the team...... but alas fast forward to June 2008 AAAARRRRRGGG

No, no, Vlad doesn't meddle. It's all just a media and SFA conspiracy. Otherwise we'd be SPL champions right now, with wondercoach Malofeev in charge (he's a fitness EXPERT don't ya know).....oh, and burley is a drunk. And pressley a traitor. etc etc

All hail Vlad.

I agree with one of your points, although I think you may have made a spelling mistake.

I can't believe some folk are talking up the Artmedia manager!! :rolleyes: Why bother, we all know if he gets the job he'll be gone by christmas anyway. I say bring back the much maligned Duff/Rix combo. They deserve a second chance... Both have experience of British football and have worked at Chelsea :cool:

I still have the cup final on sky plus and as much as it pains me to say Charlie Nicholas was correct 100%. Jim White asked Robbo if this was the start of something special for Hearts, he said yes. Same to Charlie. He said no I see Romanov continuing to meddle, make mistakes and this will be the heights.

Archived