Weiss excited about Hearts job after talks with Romanov

Sherlock

Weiss excited about Hearts job after talks with Romanov

VLADIMIR WEISS, the Artmedia Bratislava coach, claims to have held preliminary contract talks with Hearts and is scheduled for further negotiations with Vladimir Romanov over the next 48 hours.

The 43-year-old Slovakian hopes to have a clearer idea on his future early next week.

Artmedia are keen to retain the services of their double-winning coach but recognise they would be powerless to prevent him accepting an offer from Hearts.

As revealed in yesterday's Evening News, Weiss is one of three candidates for the managerial vacancy at Tynecastle along with Icelander Gudjon Thordarson and Belarussian Andrei Zygmantovich. As a fluent Russian speaker, Weiss would have no difficulty in communicating directly with Romanov, an issue which often hindered former Hearts coaches such as John Robertson, George Burley, Graham Rix and Stephen Frail.

He also speaks German and is willing to improve his already decent English in order to become fluent if offered the job.

Weiss has been reluctant to divulge details on his talks with Hearts to date. Artmedia directors are aware that he has been involved in discussions with Romanov and Mindaugas Nikolicius, a financial expert from Hearts' parent company, Ukio Bankas Investment Group.

Speaking to the Evening News today, Weiss said: "I don't want to talk about my contract. I have had some discussions already. What can I say? This weekend I have a meeting with Hearts so maybe I will know more next week. I know everything about Hearts and it is a very exciting chance for me, but this is my business and I must do it privately. It's my problem."

Thordarson, the IA Akranes coach, remains a genuine contender for the position and would be keen to enlist the Scotland No.2 Terry Butcher as his assistant. Thordarson said: "I can confirm Hearts have talked with me and asked if I'm interested in the job. We spoke last winter but I thought it was over, then my agent spoke to Hearts about something else and suddenly it's back on. Things really got rolling when the Hearts board realised I could bring along people like Terry.

"They asked if I'd bring Icelanders with me as assistants but I said I'd focus on the British market. When I said Butcher wanted to be my assistant they seemed impressed. If people are ambitious in their proposals I'm willing to look into them but I'll only go to Hearts if the situation is right. I'll consider it under the right conditions. I'm getting too old for any other crap."

Zygmantovich, who has worked for Romanov at both MTZ Ripo in Belarus and FBK Kaunas in Lithuania, remains an outsider but his coaching methods are known to have impressed his paymaster.

Vlad W - I really really want this job

Vlad R - good

Vlad W - its a real big step up

Vlad R - well, if you gave me certain assurances you might get it.

Vlad W - OK

Vlad R - I want to buy players from my own data

Vlad W - fine, can I have a say.

Vlad R - yes you can prepare lists for submission to me. Next I'll want to have an input into team affairs

Vlad W - well, do I have say?

Vlad R - yes but so do I, but you get the job and a huge pay rise compared with Slovakian wages

Vlad W - ok, where do I sign

Being a betting man my money is on the Akranes Coach.

The leak to the press came from within the SFA (allegedly) so suspect talks with them about approaching people contracted to the SFA are pretty advanced. Believe also that "Ice Man" has eyes on other Largs based staff for his backroom team if he is successful.

I think we should get a poll on the go, out of the 3 who would you take. Dont know how to start one tho.

Weiss looks a joke though to be honest, cant even speak english (according to reports yesterday) and no links to Scottish football at all.

Guest JamboRobbo
Believe also that "Ice Man" has eyes on other Largs based staff for his backroom team if he is successful.

Elvis?

I think we should get a poll on the go, out of the 3 who would you take. Dont know how to start one tho...

A poll was already started yesterday on this thread.

Elvis?

No good call though, i'm told it is one of their main guys working/leading on the project to develop youth football.

Seems "Ice Man" really likes the Largs set-up and has always had close links with it and the personnel there.

Charlie-Brown

Thordarson was linked with ex-dunfy player Ross Jack who is now a coach at the Scottish Institute for Sport - according to D.Express articles back in January.

jamboinglasgow
No good call though, i'm told it is one of their main guys working/leading on the project to develop youth football.

Seems "Ice Man" really likes the Largs set-up and has always had close links with it and the personnel there.

thats very interesting, wonder if he wants to bring in his own guy to work with the youth set up. Could be very benefical.

Billy the Jambo

The way this Weiss character is talking he thinks he has already got the job .If i was to pick any one of the three on the shortlist it would be Thor for me .There is something about Weiss i don,t like he will be another puppet for the mad one to play with and i think we have had enough of that over the past 2 years. The icelandic guy sounds like he will take no **** from anyone according to some of the players who used to play for him. He is not the ideal choice IMO but of the 3 that have been quoted i think he is the best of a bad bunch

Far from just being the best of a bad bunch I'm liking Thordarsson more each time I hear more about him. He ticks all the boxes of the January 1st statement (experienced, manager British experience), I think he'll get the respect of the playing staff and I think he would get as much of a free reign in team selection as anyone would. I also like the idea of Butcher as assistant, his record is pretty atrocious as a manager but I quite like him and I think he'd be a good guy to have around the club as a kind of conduit between the crazy Icelander and our young players. I'm feeling slightly positive about the club for the first time in many, many months. I'm ready for something to go wrong though, this is Romanov's Hearts after all.

Archived