Weiss to be interviewed by Romanov at weekend

slfjambo

Weiss to be interviewed by Romanov at weekend

TH1_116200858weiss.jpg

Vladimir Weiss, manager of Artmedia Bratislava, is due to meet Romanov this weekend

Published Date: 12 June 2008

By Stephen Halliday

HEARTS will close in on the appointment of a new manager this weekend when they interview Vladimir Weiss, the Slovakian coach best known for overseeing Artmedia Bratislava's shock 5-0 defeat of Celtic in the Champions League three years ago.

Weiss has joined Gudjon Thordarson, the Icelandic coach who formerly managed Stoke City, Barnsley and Notts County, and Andrei Zygmantovich, currently in charge of Lithuanian champions Kaunas, among the leading candidates to take charge of the Tynecastle club following their failure to entice Mark McGhee from Motherwell last month.

Reports yesterday which claimed Thordarson would be unveiled as the new Hearts manager today were premature, although the 52-year-old has been interviewed by club owner Vladimir Romanov over a possible move to Edinburgh which would see him appoint Scotland assistant manager Terry Butcher as his No 2.

Sources close to Romanov confirmed yesterday that both Thordarson and Butcher had spoken to Romanov, but insisted the Russian-born Lithuanian banker has yet to decide whether to offer them the job.

As a management package, both men would fulfil the criteria specified by Hearts in a statement back on 1 January when they outlined their intention to recruit someone with experience of the British game.

That would appear to count against both Weiss and Zygmantovich, neither of whom have ever worked in the UK, but the possibility that Romanov could change his mind on the qualifications necessary for the position cannot be discounted.

Weiss yesterday expressed his enthusiasm for the Hearts job when he said: "I regard this opportunity as a big step-up in my coaching career, so I am very interested.

"Hearts are a great club, a big team with a big history. I have a meeting with the boss of Hearts, Mr Romanov, in Edinburgh this weekend, so I cannot say any more until that meeting takes place."

The interview, however, is more likely to take place in Lithuania as Romanov is determined to conduct his search for a manager as far away from the glare of the Scottish media as possible. He was stung badly by the public nature of McGhee's 11th hour decision not to meet him last month and instead commit himself to improved terms at Motherwell.

Romanov, in fact, is unlikely to be pleased by Weiss' willingness to speak openly about his candidature for the job and it remains to be seen if that could count against the 43-year-old former international midfielder who played for Czechoslovakia at the 1990 World Cup finals.

Weiss made his name in coaching with his success at Artmedia, guiding them into the group stage of the Champions League in 2005-06 following the surprise 5-4 aggregate win over Celtic in the second qualifying round which got Gordon Strachan's managerial career at Parkhead off to a false start.

In February 2006, Weiss moved to the Russian League to take charge of Saturn Ramenskoye but left in June 2007 to return to Artmedia with whom he has just won the Slovakian League and Cup double.

Zygmantovich, the third candidate to emerge yesterday, has worked for Romanov at both MTZ-Ripo Minsk in Belarus and Kaunas. The 45-year-old, a former USSR international defender who played for Groningen and Racing Santander, is nominally head coach of Kaunas at the moment, although his lack of an appropriate coaching licence means the club's goalkeeping coach Arturas Ramoska is officially in charge.

Ogilvie could ease Butcher's reservations over Romanov

The full article contains 586 words and appears in The Scotsman newspaper.

Page 1 of 1

• Last Updated: 11 June 2008 11:35 PM
  • Source: The Scotsman

shaun.lawson

I have to say, while not exactly leaping around at the prospect of either, I'd definitely prefer Weiss to Thodarsson - unless the latter was part of an Icelandic buy-out of the club. GT has one success in England, and two failures: and even his success was at a club which actually should have gone up before it did. While I'm aware of what happened to Weiss while he was with Saturn, his success with Artmedia strikes me as phenomenal: not only did they knock out Celtic, but they almost reached the last 16 ahead of Rangers and Porto. And, though I could be wrong, I'd like to think Slovakian football isn't in the clutches of the rich and powerful in the way that, say, either the Scottish or Lithuanian leagues are: in which case, this season's runaway title success is another major feather in Weiss' cap.

Indeed, he could be very like one of his Czech teammates at the 1990 World Cup: Frantisek Straka, who more knowledgeable posters on here have called for several times over the past couple of years. And on the basis that, unhappily, it seems as though the McGhee saga has persuaded Vlad to abandon any idea of going British, probably overruling Campbell Ogilvie in the process, and that, still more unhappily, we're probably going to have to accept a club run without the traditional British 'keyman' figure as manager, Weiss may well be as good as we can realistically get.

Charlie-Brown

I'd be interested in hearing what Weiss has to say for himself - I'd also be interested to who he would want as assistant manager & coaching staff - then I'd decide if I wanted him as manager.

Regards the January 1st statement then I am more interested in Hearts appointing a good manager British or not doesn't matter to me - I think any non-British appointment would definitely need at least 1 'local' assistant though.

Not overly enthrawled at the thought of another manager who has no knowledge of the British Game.

On paper, he seems to be OK but then so does GT.

Done well with Stoke, not so well with Barnsely but then the expectation there is not huge and as for Notts County, a succession of managers have failed to achieve anything there so not worth worrying about.

Guest JamboRobbo
Not overly enthrawled at the thought of another manager who has no knowledge of the British Game.

Same here. Seems like madness to choose to take a gamble like this, given what we need is someone to bring a bit of common sense and stability and sort out the mess we are in.

I disagree with any swell of support for Weiss.

Leaving aside the fact that he has only been successful in Slovakia

Look at the different way Gudjor and Weiss are talking about the opportunity.

Gudjor is - if certain board assurances are made and the club direction is going in the way discussed then it is a good job, if not I'm not interested in bull

Weiss is Mr Humble - big club big history big step up ie if I get this opportunity I'll be so chuffed Vlad can control me like a puppet

Cant understand why with either his record or likliness to be controlled why anyone would back this guy

If Vlad can go away from the experienced coach with British football on his CV brief lied about on the official website, then he can just as easily manifest the Jan 1st lie further by chosing someone he can influence easily

Weiss will be much more of a puppet than GT

Weiss is a no for so many reasons. The fact he is even on the short list is appalling. And given we have waited 6 months to get here the short list itself is negligent and incompetent.

Waiting for the right man?

Maybe, if that wait was for a new puppet from outwith the pyramid Romanov has a good chance of controlling

Just a thought but could Weiss be used as a bench mark.

Vlad rates him so interviews him and compares to GT as GT is not HIS identified candidate?

IF GT impresses against a Vlad choice, job's a good'n.

Many businesses do that now to ensure the quality of a preffered candidate. Final check if you like.

maroonlegions

"Hearts are a great club, a big team;) with a big history;). I have a meeting with the boss of Hearts, Mr Romanov, in Edinburgh this weekend, so I cannot say any more until that meeting takes place."

good man.:107years:

The Old Tolbooth

To me Wiess is very much second choice, and Zygmantovich is just another misfit in the shape of previous managers that we've already suffered!

The Barnsley fan on here yesterday said that he transformed Barnsleys fortunes on no budget whatsoever, and wasn't allowed to build on it at xmas time and they subsequently slipped down the league as a result.

At Stoke, he was inexplicably sacked after gaining them promotion in which was a good season for them.

Notts County are well, Notts County, always been pish, and even Alex Ferguson couldn't save that lot!

Thor on his own doesn't offer much more appeal than Wiess to be honest, however if Thor and Butcher were to be appointed, surely that would be better proposition and a decent start no?

I also don't see how we can aim our sights any higher than Thor or Wiess, until one of them has been in charge for a year or two where it's been proved that Vlads meddling has ended (will never happen!), and then maybe someone with a higher stock will be interested again.

I live in eternal hope, but no expectations!

To me Wiess is very much second choice, and Zygmantovich is just another misfit in the shape of previous managers that we've already suffered!

The Barnsley fan on here yesterday said that he transformed Barnsleys fortunes on no budget whatsoever, and wasn't allowed to build on it at xmas time and they subsequently slipped down the league as a result.

At Stoke, he was inexplicably sacked after gaining them promotion in which was a good season for them.

Notts County are well, Notts County, always been pish, and even Alex Ferguson couldn't save that lot!

Thor on his own doesn't offer much more appeal than Wiess to be honest, however if Thor and Butcher were to be appointed, surely that would be better proposition and a decent start no?

I also don't see how we can aim our sights any higher than Thor or Wiess, until one of them has been in charge for a year or two where it's been proved that Vlads meddling has ended (will never happen!), and then maybe someone with a higher stock will be interested again.

I live in eternal hope, but no expectations!

John, I agree with what you say re GJ on his own etc but how do you know Weiss will not come with an equally acceptable assistant?

winston churchill

how do you know Weiss will not come with an equally acceptable assistant?[/

hopefully,JJ or billy davies

Jam Tarts 1874

Once again it appears that the usual bampots are not going to be prepared to give the new manager (whoever he is) any chance at all - call yourselves supporters!

Drylaw Hearts
Once again it appears that the usual bampots are not going to be prepared to give the new manager (whoever he is) any chance at all - call yourselves supporters!

Would you be happy if Zygmantovich was given the job ?

An appointment like this will prove once and for all that Romanov does not have the best interests of Heart of Midlothian Football Club in mind.

The Old Tolbooth

Do you honestly think that Wiess and Zygmantovich (especially the latter!) are the standard of manager that Vlad himself had in mind when he made his statement in January?

It smacks of panic and a quick fix although if Wiess was given the gig, I would be prepared to give him a chance, buy wouldn't be overly optimistic, however if the Zygmiester was appointed, what a complete slap in the coupon that would be for Hearts fans everywhere! Yet another Eastern European numpty who doesn't have the proper coaching badges in place, way to go Vlad!

Thor and Butcher would deffo be acceptable in my eyes because you would have a good mixture of someone who is disciplined, and also someone else who knows the British market very well. They could well be the stabiliser that our club so desperately needs right now.

To be fair most Hearts fans have given at least 6 chances in 3 years. There is a breaking point when people realise the club is going nowhere and Romanov is incompetent.

When do you get to the stage you realise you are being taken for a muppet?

Serious question

how do you know Weiss will not come with an equally acceptable assistant?[/

hopefully,JJ or billy davies

I hope you mean hopefully NOT? :rolleyes:

See how these 3 names have been mentioned as being on the shortlist. Would it be inconceivable that they have been mention by Hearts to gauge the reaction of the fans??

ie We all think Thor and Butcher is the most popular out of the 3 so give them the job??

Say What Again
and Zygmantovich is just another misfit in the shape of previous managers that we've already suffered!

It would not surprise me in the slightest if he gets the job :mad:

Anyone else think that the names of Wiess and Zygmantovich were quickly leaked out to deflect all the attention away from Gudjor once the press had got hold of the story?

Both can't have much of a problem in being used in this manner. Weiss, will not be overly upset about a bit of international recognition of his name / availability, and Zygmantovich, well, he'll do what he's told. ;)

Out of the current short-list, Thor and Butcher would be my choice by a country mile...

Archived