STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (may contain spoilers)

Rab87

The porgs weren't there for any plot purpose -- they were just a digital cover for the endangered puffins on the island where they were filming. There was about 45 seconds of screen time dedicated to them where they weren't just in the background. Those who are bothered by them have apparently forgotten that there were literally useless cutesy characters on screen in the franchise before Luke Skywalker.

Spoiler

As to Leia "flying," someone's unfamiliar with basic physics and the history of the "force pull?" :lol:

Laura Dern's character was completely unconvincing to me -- one of the weaker aspects of the movie IMO. You don't become a successful military leader without the ability to inspire confidence in your reports, and there was nothing in her performance that showed that. Carrie Fisher (RIP :sad:) was far, far more convincing in that regard.

The decision to have the two plots for escaping from the empire effectively cancel each other out was a poor writing decision.  Both were emotionally satisfying in their own right but then to have them negate each other killed that off.

Those are the only major weak points for me though. The Luke/Rey arc was phenomenally written and paced, Fisher's performance was screen-stealing every time, and I thoroughly enjoyed all of the other major characters. The cinematography was beautiful both in a way that all of Abrams' productions are and in ways that harkened back to the style of the originals. We're going again tonight -- my only hesitation on seeing it a second time was just sitting through the overall bleakness of the movie and not wanting to be on a downer for the evening.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• vegas-voss

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Cade

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 20/12/2017 at 07:40, GBJambo said:

You do realise Star Wars is essentially a kids film. Always has been and always will be. 

Funnily enough when I went my kid was the only kid there.

The Leia floating through space bit really is terrible other than that I take it for what it is pure popcorn adventure film which I thought was great.

indianajones
On 28/12/2017 at 15:10, Cade said:

BB-8, R2-D2, C3-PO and Chewbacca may as well have just not been in it.

Laura Dern's character was a total waste of time and they could easily have replaced her with Admiral Ackbar instead to give him a decent final send-off.

Captain Phasma was on screen for a total of around 6 minutes over the two films. Hilariously underused and useless character.

Porgs didn't do anything at all.

The entire hacker sub-plot went on for far too long and served no purpose other than Del Toro doing a very bad impression of Brat Pitt in 12 Monkeys.

Leia turning into Superman/Mary Poppins and flying :rofl: 

Rose stopping Finn blowing up the mini death star gun coz she wanted to "save what she loved", even though she just doomed the entire resistance to death by letting the gun blow up the doors :rofl: 

We still have no idea who Snoke was, where he came from or what his motivations were.

What happened to the Knights of Ren?

It's a mess of a film

This is where I am with it. 

Enjoyable but what a complete mess and letdown. 

Laura Dern's character was a total waste of time and they could easily have replaced her with Admiral Ackbar instead to give him a decent final send-off.

Captain Phasma was on screen for a total of around 6 minutes over the two films. Hilariously underused and useless character.

The entire hacker sub-plot went on for far too long and served no purpose other than Del Toro doing a very bad impression of Brat Pitt in 12 Monkeys.

Rose stopping Finn blowing up the mini death star gun coz she wanted to "save what she loved", even though she just doomed the entire resistance to death by letting the gun blow up the doors :rofl: 

We still have no idea who Snoke was, where he came from or what his motivations were.

It's a mess of a film

I'm glad someone else thought the same.

Captain America
On 12/28/2017 at 15:10, Cade said:

It's a mess of a film

This post is closest to my feelings on the film. 

Although in my limited screen time, I thought I brought my droid banter to the big screen. 

been here before

Thought it was OK. Could easily have made it a far shorter, far more entertaing film. I didnt really feel like a Star Wars film for me. 

One thing I wondered about that didnt really sit right. Luke, Kylo Ren, Leia, Ren etc can all 'see' each other telepathically using the Force. Fair enough.

What Im not getting though is the bit when Luke turns up at the rebel base and every other person there can see him.

Edited by been here before

Samuel Camazzola
9 minutes ago, been here before said:

Oh aye and Snoke is a double for Stevie Fulton.

I thought Snoke was more of a Dempster/McGinn hybrid. 

On 2017-12-28 at 10:10, Cade said:

It's a mess of a film

I enjoyed the film but it's hard to disagree with the points you make. The core Kylo-Rey part of the film was good but the rest was patchy. The Finn/Rose hacker storyline was terrible and the film would have been better without it. The flying/force-pull/whatever Leia thing was quite possibly the daftest thing I've seen in any of the Star Wars films. 

It's a mess of a film

All of those points annoyed me too.

Saw it today.  I thought it was the best since Empire.  Loved it, sets up episode IX well.  Really like how they built Kylo Ren’s character, he’ll be proper bad ass by the next one.

Watt-Zeefuik
3 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Saw it today.  I thought it was the best since Empire.  Loved it, sets up episode IX well.  Really like how they built Kylo Ren’s character, he’ll be proper bad ass by the next one.

Was starting to wonder if it was just me around here. 

The complaint about not knowing more about Snoke strikes me as an odd one. We're given considerably more about his motivations than the original trilogy ever gave about Palpatine. And Last Jedi gives about four dozen visual and verbal clues as to Snoke's temperment and motivations.

I liked it even better the second time.

SpruceBringsteen

I'm quite certain the night he learned that he'd got the gig, Rian Johnson got absolutely blazing with a couple of mates and 90% of the movie is what they double dared him to do.

This is a very good review:

https://faustusnotes.wordpress.com/2017/12/17/star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-shit/

It's a long read, but that just enables you to feel the author's untethered agony at the fetid pile of filth being smeared into his eyes.

Watt-Zeefuik
53 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

I'm quite certain the night he learned that he'd got the gig, Rian Johnson got absolutely blazing with a couple of mates and 90% of the movie is what they double dared him to do.

This is a very good review:

https://faustusnotes.wordpress.com/2017/12/17/star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-shit/

It's a long read, but that just enables you to feel the author's untethered agony at the fetid pile of filth being smeared into his eyes.

That was a terrible read. I got 1/3 through before I got tired of reading a toddler whining about his toy not working the way he wanted.

Disser Pointon
On 12/28/2017 at 15:10, Cade said:

It's a mess of a film

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

It's a mess of a film

058ABEE5-ECC2-4B4C-9B61-AD37E6D475B6.jpeg

On 27/12/2017 at 20:32, Cade said:

Thought it was at least an hour too long.

Lots of characters and subplots could be entirely cut without impacting the main story.

Many stupid sequences and awful dialogue.

An absolute turkey.

Have to disagree chief.  The subplots are no doubt there as a thread to storylines in the next one.  Wouldn’t be enough to simply focus on Rei and Kylo Ren. 

I was entertained and that is what counts. I'm not bothered about timelines or differences from some geek-fest book or cartoon series.

Kids loved the Porgs as a bit of light relief and of course they are there for marketing purposes too.

The hacker plot was a little disappointing, but ultimately achieved the goal of highlighting the difference between the elites and the common people and why war is good for the elites - supplying arms to both sides. Sound familiar?! Not forgetting where the next generation of rebels and Jedi will come from.

Only two grumbles from me were the Leia space walk and the whole timeline of the film where the Order were always just out of reach of the rebels ship despite their supposed superior firepower. But then in a universe where we accept the force, Jedi, sith lords and Porgs, I'm willing to let that go.

Watt-Zeefuik
9 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Some people take it serious, man. I know I do.

I take it seriously as a form form of storytelling that's really important to contemporary society, but when 2/3 of your complaints apply to the original trilogy just as much if not moreso than this movie, and the other complaints (like his beef with the Po Dameron character's arc) are clearly intentional departures from the original in order to make a point, that much text is a total waste of time.

It's like the original trilogy have entered some sanctified realm that people forget that it was full of corny jokes, melodramatic delivery, badly delivered lines, gratuitous special effects, cutesy characters, and was a mashup of a space western, space opera, and classical hero epic that lurched between them awkwardly at times.

SpruceBringsteen
2 hours ago, Ugly American said:

It's like the original trilogy have entered some sanctified realm 

As it should be, and it's how I've decided to remember. Original canon is what happened. Kyle Katarn got the Death Star plans, no Jyn Erso and that's fact. B)

Disney's cash cows can - after I gave them so much of a chance - get bent. 

4 hours ago, Ugly American said:

I take it seriously as a form form of storytelling that's really important to contemporary society, but when 2/3 of your complaints apply to the original trilogy just as much if not moreso than this movie, and the other complaints (like his beef with the Po Dameron character's arc) are clearly intentional departures from the original in order to make a point, that much text is a total waste of time.

It's like the original trilogy have entered some sanctified realm that people forget that it was full of corny jokes, melodramatic delivery, badly delivered lines, gratuitous special effects, cutesy characters, and was a mashup of a space western, space opera, and classical hero epic that lurched between them awkwardly at times.

Yep if the original trilogy came it now it would be panned by the same people that are panning the new one

Watt-Zeefuik
7 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

As it should be, and it's how I've decided to remember. Original canon is what happened. Kyle Katarn got the Death Star plans, no Jyn Erso and that's fact. B)

Disney's cash cows can - after I gave them so much of a chance - get bent. 

Original canon is that Darth Vader's first name was "Darth," not that it was some kind of Sith title. Original canon is that Greedo didn't shoot first, which Lucas himself screwed up long before the Disney sale. Original canon includes "But I was gonna go into Tashi Station to pick up some power converters," "Listen sister I ain't in it for your revolution," "THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE," jawas, ewoks, mysteriously incompetent storm troopers, romantic tension between a brother and sister, a battle station with a name as lame as a "death star," explosions you can hear in space, omnipresent gravity, and a thousand other inanities that we all looked past because we were young and it was fun.

But now people for whom the originals were formative in our childhood have gotten older and they think the originals were somehow flawless. They weren't, they were ridiculous at multiple points, but we let ourselves get swept up in them.

Watt-Zeefuik
29 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Hee haw wrong with Jawas, btw.

That's what I'm saying, there's nothing particularly wrong with any of it. It's ****ing brilliant moviemaking, it just happens to include all of the stuff everyone is whining about in the Last Jedi.

The new ones are discombobulated, sometimes incoherent, melodramatic camp, I get it.  The original trilogy also happens to be discombobulated, sometimes incoherent, melodramatic camp.  Glory in it and quit the whining!

7 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Original canon is that Darth Vader's first name was "Darth," not that it was some kind of Sith title. Original canon is that Greedo didn't shoot first, which Lucas himself screwed up long before the Disney sale. Original canon includes "But I was gonna go into Tashi Station to pick up some power converters," "Listen sister I ain't in it for your revolution," "THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE," jawas, ewoks, mysteriously incompetent storm troopers, romantic tension between a brother and sister, a battle station with a name as lame as a "death star," explosions you can hear in space, omnipresent gravity, and a thousand other inanities that we all looked past because we were young and it was fun.

But now people for whom the originals were formative in our childhood have gotten older and they think the originals were somehow flawless. They weren't, they were ridiculous at multiple points, but we let ourselves get swept up in them.

:spoton:

7 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Hee haw wrong with Jawas, btw.

• 5 weeks later...

The posters are beautiful.

I didn't like TLJ at all but I'm a sucker and my hope has been restored. 

Though from the trailers I'm not sure we're going to learn how Han 'met' Chewie...I hope they're not reinventing that backstory!

Shooter McGavin

Trailers didn’t really do anything for me. 

Still excited to see it though. One thing I thought was weird is that it’s being released in the summer? Wasn’t it supposed to be in December each year a new film would be released?

Emilia Clark being on the cast list of a feature film usually means that film is going to be shite.

I've had reservations about this film since it was announced and they've only grown as time has gone on.

Cool posters.

The one hope I have for the film is that it possibly won't have much Jedi silliness in it, much like Rogue One, so I might enjoy it more than The Last Jedi.

I only watched it and the 7th one because I am playing an android game called star wars galaxy of heroes which is good if you're into a grind, cause I had no clue who people were referring too.... anyway, didn't think it was very good, 7 was a rip off of 1 in parts too, however there are always gonna be parallels.

Irrespective of that, 7 was ok, 8 was worse and there was no need for the romance between ross (not a typo) and fn 2187.

1 hour ago, lauriesrank said:

I only watched it and the 7th one because I am playing an android game called star wars galaxy of heroes which is good if you're into a grind, cause I had no clue who people were referring too.... anyway, didn't think it was very good, 7 was a rip off of 1 in parts too, however there are always gonna be parallels.

Irrespective of that, 7 was ok, 8 was worse and there was no need for the romance between ross (not a typo) and fn 2187.

Been playing that game for months as well , good to see I'm not the only saddo out there :)

1 hour ago, 22HMFC22 said:

Been playing that game for months as well , good to see I'm not the only saddo out there :)

LOL, aye, nearly 6 months now, hit me up on discord if you want! handypaulsmith#1664 

4 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Think it looks very good. Looks like they have cast the right guy as Han Solo

Really

Even the brief few words he spoke he sounded terrible.Han was cool this guy sounds anything but cool.

rudi must stay
9 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Really

Even the brief few words he spoke he sounded terrible.Han was cool this guy sounds anything but cool.

Watching it again I have changed my mind. For a Star Wars movie it looks like a cheap knock off, hoping to make big bucks