Warhammer

Bazzas right boot

Games Workshop have been letting anyone that wants a license to make a computer game of their IP have one, for many years.

The problem is of course that 99% of them are shite.

Total War: Warhammer is barry.

Shadow of the Horned Rat (1995) was good.

Blood Bowl 2 was alright (High Elves are bullshit, man)
Vermintide was grand.

On the 40K side of things, Dawn of War was a superb RTS.
Dawn of War 2 played different but was also great.

Dawn of War 3 was shiiiiiiiiiite.

Darktide is essentially Vermintide but with 40k instead of fantasy.

So that's like a handful of decent games for each franchise among hundreds of games made.

11 hours ago, indianajones said:

Rome was decent. Rome 2 was a bit meh. 

Love the magic in TWWH. A couple of decent spellcasting heroes can make a massive difference. Not sure which faction i like the most. Toss up between Skaven or the High Elves. 

High Elves for me. Collected Eldar in 40k as a kid.

10 hours ago, Cade said:

Games Workshop have been letting anyone that wants a license to make a computer game of their IP have one, for many years.

Vermintide was grand.

So that's like a handful of decent games for each franchise among hundreds of games made.

I noticed the Google play store has countless games that include in app purchases. They don't seem great at protecting their IP.

You missed the 3rd person adventure/shooter Space Marine. That was a cracking game.

I've taken the plunge and ordered some miniatures and paints. I'll post the results if folk are interested?

Say What Again
On 05/12/2022 at 17:56, Norm said:

Don't play Warhammer but do play D&D. Sorely tempted to get some miniatures of my characters and paint them. Seems like it might be quite a chilled way to spend an evening. 

If you decide to do that mate I'd recommend spending a little more on a decent quality figure.

The lockdown inspired online sessions I have with the guys from work has developed into the odd meet up session at someone's house so I bought a couple of cheapo figures to represent my chars. They're fine for moving around the board/field but would suck to paint. They were only about a fiver for a twin pack though.

If you feel really flush you can design and make your own at Hero Forge

Just need to hope your char doesn't die if you splash out on that method 😂

Edited by Say What Again

20 minutes ago, Say What Again said:

If you decide to do that mate I'd recommend spending a little more on a decent quality figure.

The lockdown inspired online sessions I have with the guys from work has developed into the odd meet up session at someone's house so I bought a couple of cheapo figures to represent my chars. They're fine for moving around the board/field but would suck to paint. They were only about a fiver for a twin pack though.

If you feel really flush you can design and make your own at Hero Forge

Just need to hope your char doesn't die if you splash out on that method 😂

I use Hero Forge to design my characters for our virtual tabletop. I know someone with a 3d printer who can print them which makes it a bit cheaper. Only $8 if you just want the file to print them yourself. 

Say What Again
3 minutes ago, Norm said:

I use Hero Forge to design my characters for our virtual tabletop. I know someone with a 3d printer who can print them which makes it a bit cheaper. Only $8 if you just want the file to print them yourself. 

Oh, that's good to know.

One of the guys has a 3D printer

2 hours ago, RedStarRiot said:

I noticed the Google play store has countless games that include in app purchases. They don't seem great at protecting their IP.

You missed the 3rd person adventure/shooter Space Marine. That was a cracking game.

I've taken the plunge and ordered some miniatures and paints. I'll post the results if folk are interested?

I'd be interested in the results so please do upload when you get around to it. 

What did you order? 

8 hours ago, indianajones said:

I'd be interested in the results so please do upload when you get around to it. 

What did you order? 

I went for some space marines. Figured they are the kindest to paint since the basic models are less intricate. 

Okay, as long as its not a disaster I'll upload. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
22 hours ago, Cade said:

Vermintide was grand.

Aw man, Shadow of the Horned Rat. Had forgotten about that 

Mac_fae_Gillie
3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Aw man, Shadow of the Horned Rat. Had forgotten about that 

Had that on Playstation think I only ever got to about 6th battle before lack of funds meant mt=y Army was never going to win a battle. 

40K world "Sanctus Reach" is tabletop style of play.

Final Liberation on PC was a classic too, the gameplay was almost spot-on for Epic scale 40K and the FMV cutscenes have never been bettered.

:yas:

Trailer for Space Marine 2 was shown at the game awards.

I hope its as good as the original. That was probably better than most of the Gears of War apart from the 1st 2. 

The Total War: Warhammer games are undoubtedly the worst in the TW franchise, and I include the huge sprawling ones in that., They are only 'barry' in the way McDonalds is to food if you are deprived of other meals.

I recall back in the early eighties there was a good choice of wargaming rules, often on photocopied A4, and a decent little wargames shop over the road from the Pear tree pub.  It stocked lots of independent games.  And a magazine called White Dwarf, which was a rich resource for independent games, white metal figures from artists, and lore for game concepts such as Traveller, D & D, Runequest.  Hell I even played an online session of call of cthulu earlier this year, first time for nearly thirty years.  It had wargaming too, any one of the different Napoleonic rules in those days was far superior to Warhammer.

As for painting armies, you made the choice of either the expensive but marvellous 25mm white metal figures from independent artists, or lots and lots of the 15mm plastic ones still sold in Lothian Road, and chose enamel paint, or matt and gloss - you had to master painting in those days with dry and wet brushing, none of the acrylic rubbish used by GW.

Then at some point, White Dwarf was inhumed by Games Workshop, and everything became Warhammer.  The independent shops closed, to be replaced by generic, soulless stores selling identical plastic armies.

I get it has a huge universe now due to its size, but it has continuously licensed awful game after awful game, but more worryingly, closed down all the independent artists of figures. , or decent rules.

It may be a nice platform for a child to experience wargaming, online or table top, but some of us get fed up with Wendy's burgers.

Edited by Captain Slog

I started when I collected citadel miniatures and painted and collected way before I gamed.

mainly because there were only 2 stores in the country both miles from me and the Internet didn’t exist.

Now I love the black library and have read dozens of them.

Say what you like, war hammer is a massive british success story that still makes all its stuff in the UK.

so aye it’s pricy, but they stay true to their roots.

Ayr has both a warhammer store and an independent gaming shop called Dominion

I spent my time painting citadel amongst others Dr J, remember it well.

I even remember the amazement when they produced a box of glue together plastic orcs and moved from metal.

I'm not saying GW isnt awesome, just that it stifled everything else, and there was much better.

However, the games they licensed have generally been awfull, Ill try and keep an open mind with the new one on steam.

One of the worse days in my then young life was when i returned home after uni, and working abroad, and found my father had put my entire citadel, independent rp figures, and an entire Napoleonic army in the bin cos he thought it was kids toys.

18 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

I spent my time painting citadel amongst others Dr J, remember it well.

I even remember the amazement when they produced a box of glue together plastic orcs and moved from metal.

I'm not saying GW isnt awesome, just that it stifled everything else, and there was much better.

However, the games they licensed have generally been awfull, Ill try and keep an open mind with the new one on steam.

There has been stacks of great GW games over the years. Whilst there is a fair share of crap it doesn't change the fact there are multiple great GW games. Dawn of War is arguably the best RTS out there still and was critically well received.

Total War: Warhammer is an excellent series. I've played TW over the years and these are my favourites. It's also sold well and received critical acclaim along with various rewards. 

Space Marine is great fun as well as a gears of war type clone. Although I'd say Gears borrowed a lot from the 40k world. 

That's just 3 examples and there are more. 

18 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

One of the worse days in my then young life was when i returned home after uni, and working abroad, and found my father had put my entire citadel, independent rp figures, and an entire Napoleonic army in the bin cos he thought it was kids toys.

Yeah, I had something similar yet it was only my plastic rather than lead ones. I assume they thought they were worth something! 

36 minutes ago, RedStarRiot said:

Great news. Amazon have the budget to do something special with it.

Aye but they made a complete tit of Tolkien, so I don't trust them to do the 40K universe any justice at all.

Edited by Cade

53 minutes ago, Cade said:

Aye but they made a complete tit of Tolkien, so I don't trust them to do the 40K universe any justice at all.

I quite enjoyed LOTR still. I think the criticism was over the top. They have also done a great job of other dark material like the boys whilst retaining the humour. 

8 hours ago, Cade said:

Games Workshop share price, 15th December: 7,275 pps
Games Workshop share price 16th December: 8,483 pps

:munny:

I'd imagine with Amazon pushing it there is further potential for them increasing in value. Especially if the show and movies are successful.