What Signings needed in January?

kimosavi

With Callum out for the season we now need to look at another RB as well as a striker which will be crucial if we are to kick on. Going to be an interesting few weeks seeing who is coming and going in this window

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Would rather sign a left back and push Rherras (sp) over to the right as competition for Smith.

We need a new Stiker and a winger.

Me need another couple of midfielders, a striker & a full back, the squad is still a bit light.

Think we'll be seeing a few loan deals arrive

Luscious Laryea

How much would Quitongo cost?

Surely not much over ?150,000 I wouldn't have thought. Cracking player with loads of potential, exactly the sort we should be looking at.

tartofmidlothian

We need

One or two strikers out (you know which ones) and one or two strikers in.

A tough, experienced, capable defender in the Pressley mould. Ozturk can probably go.

A two-footed fullback who can play on either side as back up to Rherras and Smith would be ideal. Failing that, Rossi can cover for Rherras but we need cover for Paterson. Either a short term signing for the bench or a quality young RB to challenge for the first team.

Hopeful Hibs Hater

Would take Quitongo in a heartbeat. Also think that a winger is needed but a pacy goalscorer is an absolute must imo. Priority first and foremost though should be a left back or two given Juwon isn't good enough and Rherras can be moved over to RB.

The Establishment

Yup, for me a commanding centre half and a full back. Can be left or right and push Rossi to LB (if we get CB) or Rherras to RB depending on which.

A forward to replace Sammon, though don't think they will start regularly unless Bjorn gets a knock. 

Also look at contracts for next year. Maybe go back to Paterson now and give Rossi and Nicholson offers.

He could be our springboard to success and a vital member of the pool.

Mind you he would need to be thrown in at the deep end.

Even at the end of the year you are still performing swimmingly.

No mate I'm a bit out of my depth.

Baw deep?

Or just the breast stroke followed by a wee crawl under the duvet?

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

In order of priority:

1.  Tough, imposing centre half who is good in the air.  Also with decent experience to help bring Souttar on.  

2.  Striker to give us options to play alongside Bjorn.  Mobile, with a good scoring rate (yes I know they are rare).  Zanatta should be his apprentice.

3.  A left footed left back.

4.  Attacking central midfielder (competition for Djoum/Walker) if available.

I'd also like to see Noring get a game or two.  

With the emergence of Muirhead as well as Zanatta and possibly also Todorov (I think his loan at Cowdenbeath is up now) returning from loan, we have some exciting young players who I hope we would see something of in the second half of the season.

The following can go:

1.  Sammon.  Yep, everyones favourtite panto villain.

2.  Oshinawa.  We were done up  like a kipper signing him.

3.  Ozturk (assuming 1 above).  A shame, but he just doesn't seem to have made the progress and we've shown we can be ruthless when needed.  One or two questions about attitude, although he did receive a kick to the solar plexus from Robbie re being dropped and captaincy removed.

4.  Watt.  Also a real shame, but plenty of discussion on that.

In terms of players on loan, Juanma and King will hopefully sort themselves out at their new clubs.  I would bring Reilly back and give him a chance; if not now then at the end of the season for his final year of contract.  I also am not sure about Jordan McGhee - I think his ship has sailed, but it would be interesting to see what Cathro could do with him.  McGhee is still only 20.

Mark Russell the young left back from Morton we were linked with previously is about to enter the last 6 months of his contract.

It would seem odd now not to try oshinwa left and Rherras right for a game to see if it works but preferably not against Aberdeen I guess...

A no-nonsense centre half that can calm and control the whole defence - they're not easy to find on a budget though.

A central midfielder who can move control and impose himself on games in attack.

Some may point to recently departed Swanson but he doesn't look like a player who can control a game.

Cowie, Djoum and Buaben all show signs of this but consistency is difficult to find.

We've got good players but we get bullied and panic a bit too much.

We need players who can dominate a game with their presence- Steven Pressley style.

At right back we've got Smith and Souttar could even play there (especially if we get a decent centre half)

Edit: I don't think Oshaniwa should be considered a potential player for the club.

tartofmidlothian

It would seem odd now not to try oshinwa left and Rherras right for a game to see if it works but preferably not against Aberdeen I guess...

Raith is the game for any minor experiments, like giving Oshaniwa, Sammon and Watt a turn if they're still here.

jamboinglasgow

I think it will be interesting to see who goes. I think it can be hard to shift players in January so dont expect more than a couple leaving.

In order of priority:

1.  Tough, imposing centre half who is good in the air.  Also with decent experience to help bring Souttar on.  

2.  Striker to give us options to play alongside Bjorn.  Mobile, with a good scoring rate (yes I know they are rare).  Zanatta should be his apprentice.

With the emergence of Muirhead as well as Zanatta and possibly also Todorov (I think his loan at Cowdenbeath is up now) returning from loan, we have some exciting young players who I hope we would see something of in the second half of the season.

The following can go:

3.  Ozturk (assuming 1 above).  A shame, but he just doesn't seem to have made the progress and we've shown we can be ruthless when needed.  One or two questions about attitude, although he did receive a kick to the solar plexus from Robbie re being dropped and captaincy removed.

In terms of players on loan, Juanma and King will hopefully sort themselves out at their new clubs.  I would bring Reilly back and give him a chance; if not now then at the end of the season for his final year of contract.  I also am not sure about Jordan McGhee - I think his ship has sailed, but it would be interesting to see what Cathro could do with him.  McGhee is still only 20.

Yeah, this.

Mark Russell the young left back from Morton we were linked with previously is about to enter the last 6 months of his contract.

Could be a very good signing, if we also sign a leader. I like Igor, but the rest of the back five would have an average age of 20. They would need someone talking them through games. Not sure that's Igor's big strength.

In order of priority:

The following can go:

Pretty much spot on for me, I would add Prince to the move on players , and I wouldn't bring back Reilly. We need to give every opportunity IC to bring in own players who can adapt to the way he wants to play  

Lord Beni of Gorgie

As ever it will depend mainly on who we can shift but there was budget left in August, since we didn't manage to get the left sided player

We are debating what signings we should make, but need to bear in mind we have a new Head Coach with his own ideas of the system he wants to play and the type of player he is looking for to fit into that.

We've already seen Nowak being introduced to the first team, did any of us realise we had a ready made holding midfielder waiting in the wings?  We've also seen Prince reintroduced to the first team, presumably because Cathro sees in him a player that will fit into the style of play he wants.  Zanatta has suddenly reappeared and got a run out towards the end of the game on Tuesday (just keep him off penalties, though it was a good save by Jamma).

We may have other players who weren't getting game time under Robbie, but who Cathro sees as having the potential to fit into his team.  Lots of chat on another thread about Gavin Reilly.  Opinions vary, as you would expect, from him being totally useless, to being unlucky and not given a proper chance.  Ultimately, Cathro will decide whether Reilly could add something to his team.  The same could be said for Billy King and Jordan McGhee.

The point I'm trying to make is, we may already have players who can provide some of the solutions to the areas we feel need addressed.  I would agree though that we could do with bringing in a commanding presence in defence.

tartofmidlothian

I think it will be interesting to see who goes. I think it can be hard to shift players in January so dont expect more than a couple leaving.

I think we'll see two or three out and two or three in, no more either way.

tartofmidlothian

Good shout.

Raith is the game for any minor experiments, like giving Oshaniwa, Sammon and Watt a turn if they're still here.

Cant agree.

A decent run in the cup please.

At least.

Strongest team every tie.

You want us to experiment in a game that if we lose ends our season? :confused:

tartofmidlothian

You want us to experiment in a game that if we lose ends our season? :confused:

Minor experiments, I said. But we should be playing to win, I agree.

We are debating what signings we should make, but need to bear in mind we have a new Head Coach with his own ideas of the system he wants to play and the type of player he is looking for to fit into that.

We've already seen Nowak being introduced to the first team, did any of us realise we had a ready made holding midfielder waiting in the wings?  We've also seen Prince reintroduced to the first team, presumably because Cathro sees in him a player that will fit into the style of play he wants.  Zanatta has suddenly reappeared and got a run out towards the end of the game on Tuesday (just keep him off penalties, though it was a good save by Jamma).

We may have other players who weren't getting game time under Robbie, but who Cathro sees as having the potential to fit into his team.  Lots of chat on another thread about Gavin Reilly.  Opinions vary, as you would expect, from him being totally useless, to being unlucky and not given a proper chance.  Ultimately, Cathro will decide whether Reilly could add something to his team.  The same could be said for Billy King and Jordan McGhee.

The point I'm trying to make is, we may already have players who can provide some of the solutions to the areas we feel need addressed.  I would agree though that we could do with bringing in a commanding presence in defence.

He's not 'suddenly reappeared', he'd been on loan at Queen's Park since September and only just came back to us last week.

He's not 'suddenly reappeared', he'd been on loan at Queen's Park since September and only just came back to us last week.

So he suddenly reappeared then ;)

My point was that he wasn't getting a game previously, hence being punted on loan, but having come back into the squad, he's on the bench then given game time.  Maybe Cathro sees something more in him than Neilson did, or maybe I'm reading too much into this particular situation.  I still have a sneaky suspicion that we might see more players who are already on our books getting a chance under Cathro to show their worth, before we go out making wholesale signings.  I still believe we need to make signings though, and hopefully Cathro is busy identifying the areas where we need to strengthen immediately.

Minor experiments, I said. But we should be playing to win, I agree.

The quickest way for Cathro to lose the support of the fans would be to experiment in a SC tie.

Can you imagine the seethe if he puts out an understrength team and Raith proceed to dump us out the Cup ?

Archived