Tynecastle Turfgrass

A Man Named Jambo

A Man Named Jambo

After a hectic morning of final day Christmas shopping I spent a very good Afternoon Tea for two in an M&S cafe. M&S is a company I trust have done for near 40 years and boy oh boy we need company's we can trust more now than we ever have. The majority of talk was discussing the current extensions being made on Tynecastle. The topic of the grass quality came up and brought about some suggestions for future improvements. I have finished composing a letter regarding the potential of Canadian grass and the benefits of implementing it as our home turf.

I live in the west coast of Scotland and have just bought this new Canada grass seed to try on my lawn which has gone patchy so I thought I would give it a try and see what happens after all it is guaranteed (no grow money back}. I have read some testiomnials and see that canada green is using different recipes for different countries. The one fI'd suggest is 50% creeping red fescue-variety boreal, 25% perennial rye grass-variety nut and 25% smooth stalked meadow grass-variety basin. I don't understand why they put annual rye grass in some of their mixtures no good to anyone as you need perennial grass seed for grass to constantly grow. No wonder it dies out after a season. Although we get a lot of wet weather but in the last few years it has been hot however on days when the sun comes out it can be unbearable at times and I feel the ozone layer has a lot to do with the unusual weather we are experiencing. I hear it is to be installed at wembley due to its ability to grow in shaded areas, areas with a lack of sun and areas of poor soil.

I will be sending Anne Budge the letter once all the Christmas and New year chaos has calmed down. I hope to hear from her soon and will post her response on here.

Wish me Luck and Merry Christmas!

I started reading this with a hangover, now I think I may be slipping into a coma. Oh wait, there's a bright light!

Mate, you seen that TV commerical 'There would be no Christmas without M&S'? 

You god damn right, without M&A it would be "Christa"

(I'll get my coat) 

After a hectic morning of final day Christmas shopping I spent a very good Afternoon Tea for two in an M&S cafe. M&S is a company I trust have done for near 40 years and boy oh boy we need company's we can trust more now than we ever have. The majority of talk was discussing the current extensions being made on Tynecastle. The topic of the grass quality came up and brought about some suggestions for future improvements. I have finished composing a letter regarding the potential of Canadian grass and the benefits of implementing it as our home turf.

I live in the west coast of Scotland and have just bought this new Canada grass seed to try on my lawn which has gone patchy so I thought I would give it a try and see what happens after all it is guaranteed (no grow money back}. I have read some testiomnials and see that canada green is using different recipes for different countries. The one fI'd suggest is 50% creeping red fescue-variety boreal, 25% perennial rye grass-variety nut and 25% smooth stalked meadow grass-variety basin. I don't understand why they put annual rye grass in some of their mixtures no good to anyone as you need perennial grass seed for grass to constantly grow. No wonder it dies out after a season. Although we get a lot of wet weather but in the last few years it has been hot however on days when the sun comes out it can be unbearable at times and I feel the ozone layer has a lot to do with the unusual weather we are experiencing. I hear it is to be installed at wembley due to its ability to grow in shaded areas, areas with a lack of sun and areas of poor soil.

I will be sending Anne Budge the letter once all the Christmas and New year chaos has calmed down. I hope to hear from her soon and will post her response on here.

Wish me Luck and Merry Christmas!

Mate, you seen that TV commerical 'There would be no Christmas without M&S'? 

You god damn right, without M&A it would be "Christa"

(I'll get my coat) 

You need to, you fecked up the 2nd line

what was the script at dens?,that pitch looked perfect

was that a hybrid job?

No, it just gets a lot of sunlight because the stands aren't too high and a proper wind blowing through to dry it out after a rainy spell. That coupled with modern technology and more care taken these days, means most of the older style grounds have good pitches. Tynecastle's stands are so high and closed in, means the pitch doesn't get a lot of sunlight and the drying wind is somewhat restricted due to the stands butting together. Great for atmosphere, crap for the pitch.

There was a discussion on this subject a few days again here http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/165991-new-pitch/&do=findComment&comment=5745309

Personally it looks like a hybrid pitch would be the way to go. Once the new stand goes up the natural light a grass pitch would receive would be alot less than it is now

While I agree hybrid is the way, I imagine there are still decisions to be made as to which grass seed composition you use for the natural component of the hybrid pitch, which makes up 90%+ of it.

John mcCartney

No, it just gets a lot of sunlight because the stands aren't too high and a proper wind blowing through to dry it out after a rainy spell. That coupled with modern technology and more care taken these days, means most of the older style grounds have good pitches. Tynecastle's stands are so high and closed in, means the pitch doesn't get a lot of sunlight and the drying wind is somewhat restricted due to the stands butting together. Great for atmosphere, crap for the pitch.

cheers guv,wide open space right enough.was very impressed with dens the other night in the condition of the pitch,

even the old main stand was looking great seemed to have had a paint job done recently.

Archived