Some questions about the rules of the game

Seats

Ok. could someone please explain the following:

1. Why is it when I get a free kick on the edge of the box I have to wait on the opposition to set up a defensive wall unless I ask for a quickie. The free kick is designed to give me back my advantage so I should be allowed to take it when it is convenient to me - not when the goalie and wall are "ready".

2. Where has the indirect free kick in the box gone? Obstruction is still an indirect free kick and is never given, it's either a pen, or nothing. This was one of the most exciting parts of any game when 11 men were strung across the line and a game of penalty box pinball ensued.

3. Why don't they make shirt pulling legal - quality entertainment for the fans and might actually stop some of these f@nnies rolling about on the ground at the slightest touch

(ok, I might have gone too far on no.3) ;)

The Future's Maroon

1. Dont know the exact rule, but as long as you say to the Ref, you can.

2. Refs dont seem to give this anymore, I agree with you....should be used more often.

3. Only refs know the answer, the amount of phantoms that fall over at the slightlest touch is shocking these days.

Legalising shirt puling would make it farcical in the sense it would resort to dragging anyone who got past you back constantly.

Be more effective going for the Camaroon style shirts where they were nearly impossible to grab.

Paulandshark

No1 is the worst rule their is - You get fouled yet you are penalised for waiting on the 'fouling' team to get ready? Crap rule

Nah

The very worst rule is where your player is fouled and injured. He must go off to await an invitation to come back on.

In the meantime the fouling team carry on with 11 players. How can that be right ?

nanananananana-angus
skin tight kappa tops are the way forward!! :)

Alternatively how about body painting the team colours on.

Upside would be the more rotund Stevie Fulton types would have to get in shape to save their embarassment.

Downside would be, the hobos would need a new 40,000 seater stadium to accomodate the 30 odd thousand returning gays who went missing after the CIS cup final a few years back.

Or make the players wear mitts.

2. Where has the indirect free kick in the box gone? Obstruction is still an indirect free kick and is never given, it's either a pen, or nothing. This was one of the most exciting parts of any game when 11 men were strung across the line and a game of penalty box pinball ensued.

I asked this last season in the pub and the answer i got form one guy was that indirect free kicks for obstruction was was removed from the rules, not sure if that's true because i never got a chance to check it. It would explain it though because i don't remember the last time i saw one given

Eskillsons Wig

last time i checked football was the ONLY game in the world with no rules. it is the ONLY game in the world with laws ........................ tsk tsk see me. theres one for the pub quiz :cool:

last time i checked football was the ONLY game in the world with no rules. it is the ONLY game in the world with laws ........................ tsk tsk see me. theres one for the pub quiz :cool:

I don't think so - Rugby Union, Rugby League and Hockey all have 'laws' rather than 'rules'

NoseLikeMahe

One question to add, rather than an answer:

Attacker A runs into the box and attempts to round Defender B before having a shot at goal.

As A attempts to hurdle a challenge from B, their thighs come into contact, causing A to lose his balance slightly.

If A goes down, then it is considered to be technically a penalty as "there was definitely contact" which knocked A off balance and affected his ability to strike at goal.

If A doesn't go down, stumbles a bit and sclaffs the shot wide, "there was definitely contact" his balance was still knocked, thus affecting his ability to strike at goal... but it's not a penalty... Why?

Ref's encourage diving.

1. Dont know the exact rule, but as long as you say to the Ref, you can.

Don't mean to be pedantic, but this is incorrect. The referees SHOULD always indicate to wait for this whistle before the free-kick is taken (think the main reason is to get the wall back 10 yards and to allow the referee and assistant to get into a position where they can see whats happening). There was an SFA Directive (or it may have been Eufa) to caution players if they took free-kicks before the referee was ready/the whistle was blown, however I have only ever seen this being applied once and, surprise surprise, it was against Hearts (Kingston).

And indirect free kicks for obstruction have NOT been removed from the laws of the game, its just that they are very rarely given (espicially in the box).

Smoked-Glass

in march 2003 Scotland conceeded one v iceland at hampdon in the 1st half i think. We won it 2-1.

Frankenstein Jambo.

1. Why is it when I get a free kick on the edge of the box I have to wait on the opposition to set up a defensive wall unless I ask for a quickie. The free kick is designed to give me back my advantage so I should be allowed to take it when it is convenient to me - not when the goalie and wall are "ready".

3. Why don't they make shirt pulling legal - quality entertainment for the fans and might actually stop some of these f@nnies rolling about on the ground at the slightest touch

(ok, I might have gone too far on no.3) ;)

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/RulesAndRegulations/FIFALawsOfTheGame/Postings/2002/05/12118.htm

Only a Game

This one puzzles me. Apparently you have to ask the ref to take a quick one. If you delay, the protocol is that he will ensure the opposition retreats ten yards and you cant go until his whistle. WHY FFS !

I think it should be the opposite and that you only have to ask if you want the referee to specifically take the time to ensure the defenders are ten yards back. As long as your taking the free kick legally and from the right place etc, there should be nothing to prevent you taking it right away.

uniwildcat38

OK, whilst we're complaining about rules. Why is it seemingly all right for defender to flatten a player who has just taken a shot, but the same late tackle on a player making a pass would almost always be penalised?

(And yes, in my playing days I was a forward :))

Attacker A runs into the box and attempts to round Defender B before having a shot at goal.

As A attempts to hurdle a challenge from B, their thighs come into contact, causing A to lose his balance slightly.

If A goes down, then it is considered to be technically a penalty as "there was definitely contact" which knocked A off balance and affected his ability to strike at goal.

If A doesn't go down, stumbles a bit and sclaffs the shot wide, "there was definitely contact" his balance was still knocked, thus affecting his ability to strike at goal... but it's not a penalty... Why?

Ref's encourage diving.

I agree completely.

There was a challenge on Ruud Van Nistelroy in the game V Italy and I thought it was a stonewall penalty, despite the fact that he stayed on his feet.

He managed to get a cross in, but if it wasn't for the challenge he would have had the angle to get a shot in, so the defender has gained a clear advantage by making contact with the player and not the ball.

Under the current rules, a player would be mad to stay on his feet.

Re point 1, I'd go further because clearly the bigger the advantage to the fouling team, the greater incentive there is to commit a foul.

You're in an attacking position, maybe 3 to 2 and someone fouls you. Not only do they get to hold up play, but they also get to bring their entire team back to defend, while you have to wait.

Why not:

a) restrict the number of defenders you can place between the ball and the goal line (so if you had three at the time of the foul, you get three, and so on).

and / or

B) not only encourage quick free kicks, but also make it permissible at a free kick to "pass" the ball to yourself; so if you were fouled, and the referee fails to give advantage you can, if you like, just get up and go again

c) no offside from a free kick as with throw-in?

Basically, why is the offended party given so many disadavantages? You must pass to someone else, you must wait until the ref blows his whistle, you must take the free kick from the exact spot, etc.

No wonder there are so many fouls. It's worth committing them.

Ref's encourage diving.

The same tackle anywhere else on the pitch would be a free kick, but the rules seem to change whenever players enter the penalty box.

Archived