Calzaghe v Pavlik

H.A.N.S

All credit to Calzaghe if true. Probably the hardest fight out there for him, and maybe even the least financially motivated one. His options are pretty much to:

Fight Roy Jones for big money, but no real kudos as such

or

Fight Pavlik for decent money, but more kudos...but its more risky.

Pavlik is another young pretender of sorts, quite similar to Kessler. He looks very tricky, and at 6'2 is a giant Middleweight...probably bigger than Calzaghe even at Light Heavy.

Wonder what weight it will be fought at? Don't see Calzaghe dropping down to Super-Middle again, but he may. One things for sure, Pavlik will have to step up to at least Super Middle, if not a catch-weight between that and Light Heavy.

If he beats Pavlik, Calzaghe really will go down as an all-time great. Doubt even the Americans would deny him that.

I saw Pavlik's fight against Lockett on You Tube. Lockett's no great shakes, but he ended up looking like he'd been run over by a truck by the time his corner threw the towel in.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

What weight is it going to be at?

Calzaghe had said he was done with Super Middleweight after his fight with Kessler.

SHould be a cracking fight

Pavlik has looked awesome in his last few fights, and has awesome power

Calzaghe has such awesome speed though. He will need a performance like the Lacey fight, to prevent Pavlik knocking him out

I expect Calzaghe will win if it goes to a points decision, but not sure if he will survive the 12 rounds. Against Lacey he managed it, because Lacey only went for the power punches without using his jab to set up the opportunity. Pavlik has an excellent jab, but also uses good angles on his power punches

I would assume it would be at a catch-weight between Super Middle and Light Heavy. There won't be any belts on the go, so it isn't so important.

Super-middleweight for Joes wbo/wba/wbc titles. Pavlik stepping up from middleweight.

That is a surprise.

Still think Calzaghe will win, he is immensely talented. But Pavlik certainly looks an akward customer. In saying that, easy to forget this is a tougher fight for Pavlik than it is for Calzaghe. Joe has owned Super Middleweight for over a decade.

To be honest though, I would have thought Pavlik vs Kessler would have made more sense at this stage for Pavlik. He's taking a massive risk.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Super-middleweight for Joes wbo/wba/wbc titles. Pavlik stepping up from middleweight.

I still can't see it on any of the news sites. I believe when I see it in writing.

I still can't see it on any of the news sites. I believe when I see it in writing.

A setanta news exclusive :P

Gavsy Van Gaverson
A setanta news exclusive :P

Pavlik's Promotor wants the fight. No fight agreed.

Article below:

Kelly Pavlik's promoter Bob Arum has said he is confident of securing a bout with Joe Calzaghe in October and says such a match up would take place in Las Vegas.

Pavlik destroyed Calzaghe's stablemate Gary Lockett in three rounds in Atlantic City last Saturday in his first defence of the WBC/WBO middleweight title.

Initially Roy Jones Jnr was mooted as Calzaghe's next opponent in the autumn in Wales.

However, it appears that Calzaghe could be returning to Las Vegas, where he defeated Bernard Hopkins in a split decision in April.

"My first priority is Joe Calzaghe," Arum told the Max Boxing website. "That's a huge fight and if that fight takes place - it would take place in Las Vegas.

"So that's my first priority. That's priority number one. I really believe they are nice people the Calzaghe people. Frank Warren, his promoter is a dear friend of mine.

"They want to make the fight. I think the economics will come together and I think that fight will be made. That fight will be in October, not September.

"If the Calzaghe fight can't be made, then Kelly will fight in September and we will look to fight in Ohio, probably Cleveland."

The bout would see Pavlik step up to challenge for Calzaghe's WBC/WBA/WBO super middleweight belts which he has retained despite taking Bernard Hopkins' Ring Magazine light heavyweight crown.

BBC website saying it ain't happening

It looks like Calzaghe has bottled it, to get the easier fight and more cash from someone like Roy Jones.

Joe has tried to turn it round and say it is Pavlik who wouldn't want the fight, but I think Arum's talk showed he did:

But the 36-year-old Calzaghe told the South Wales Argus: "A lot of people would love to see it.

"However, at this point, I think it's unlikely. I'm not sure if Pavlik really wants to face me at the moment."

He also claims that Pavlik would not want to put his unbeaten record on the line and step up in weight

Gavsy Van Gaverson
BBC website saying it ain't happening

It looks like Calzaghe has bottled it, to get the easier fight and more cash from someone like Roy Jones.

Joe has tried to turn it round and say it is Pavlik who wouldn't want the fight, but I think Arum's talk showed he did:

But the 36-year-old Calzaghe told the South Wales Argus: "A lot of people would love to see it.

"However, at this point, I think it's unlikely. I'm not sure if Pavlik really wants to face me at the moment."

He also claims that Pavlik would not want to put his unbeaten record on the line and step up in weight

Didn't think it would happen.

Joe wants to retire undefeated and Pavlik is one young, tough cookie who could knock him out.

RJJ is the far safer option, and will earn him far more cash.

Never seen his fight with Lockett but scene his first defence of his title repeated on setanta the other week which went the distance.He looks pretty powerful but a bit straight forward,he was basically just walking through everything taking lots of shots in the process to get his own shots off himself.

Quite confident Calzaghe would beat Pavlik. As brashy said, he fights a bit in straight lines on the assumption he'll do more damage than he takes. Calzaghe could 'slap' him silly in the time it takes to get one punch in.

But not too shocked that this is in doubt now. A whole lot to lose with little to gain for Joe. Roy Jones Jnr is a bigger box office draw, probably an easier fight, and worth a lot more $$$ to Joe!

Archived