Wait until this time next year

soonbe110

In terms of Cathro/MacPhee taking control and being responsible for what goes on the pitch (grass) we really are looking at probably 12 months before we judge. Two transfer windows, getting in some of their 'own' players, a pre-season working on their style of play is all necessary before they can truly be judged. If by this time next year we don't see a significant improvement then we have a problem. Robbie's away record was really the only thing that stopped us being solid second behind Celtic. Fans complained about style of football at Tynie but results were excellent. Cathro's challenge is a more exciting (I'm going to be running along Gorgie Road to get to games) style, continue the win revord at home and match that win record in away games. Time is needed. Will fans, especially on jkb, give him the time required?

Unless we see a complete meltdown in the teams performance I reckon he will get a lot of slack from the fans. We were hitting a Plato with RN... so hopefully we can go to the next level with Cathro.

I certainly hope they're not looking to take 12 months to make an impact.

Plenty of time and a strong enough squad to get a good result this season.

I agree that it might take two transfer windows until it's all his players but his strength is meant to be in coaching, so improving the players we have.

I like many others like the prospect and what has been said so far but it's only talk.

In terms of Cathro/MacPhee taking control and being responsible for what goes on the pitch (grass) we really are looking at probably 12 months before we judge. Two transfer windows, getting in some of their 'own' players, a pre-season working on their style of play is all necessary before they can truly be judged. If by this time next year we don't see a significant improvement then we have a problem. Robbie's away record was really the only thing that stopped us being solid second behind Celtic. Fans complained about style of football at Tynie but results were excellent. Cathro's challenge is a more exciting (I'm going to be running along Gorgie Road to get to games) style, continue the win revord at home and match that win record in away games. Time is needed. Will fans, especially on jkb, give him the time required?

The short answer is no, they won't.

Unless we see a complete meltdown in the teams performance I reckon he will get a lot of slack from the fans. We were hitting a Plato with RN... so hopefully we can go to the next level with Cathro.

In Scottish football terms everyone except Old Firm fans think Cathro is our Plato. Don't think Robbie was ever seen as a Plato. To me he is/was a Hearts legend, been around for 20 years, strong contributor to our club, long throw, tackle, penalty, Basle, Champions, promotion, 3rd in first season back. Legend but not Plato. (Only joking, not taking the crap, probably predict text problem).

Think he will be a success in England, MK fans already love him. Hope I'm right

I certainly hope they're not looking to take 12 months to make an impact.

Plenty of time and a strong enough squad to get a good result this season.

I agree that it might take two transfer windows until it's all his players but his strength is meant to be in coaching, so improving the players we have.

I like many others like the prospect and what has been said so far but it's only talk.

Season finishes in about 22 weeks time. 3 week break in there as well. How can anyone make much improvement in players in 22 weeks. Certainly make changes in tactics, formation etc but not in players. Still think it's 12 months but you are proving my point to a large extent. Expectations way too high. Why has he got a 3.5 year contract? If he turned us around in six months he wouldn't be at Hearts in 12 months. Could be our biggest challenge.

Season finishes in about 22 weeks time. 3 week break in there as well. How can anyone make much improvement in players in 22 weeks. Certainly make changes in tactics, formation etc but not in players. Still think it's 12 months but you are proving my point to a large extent. Expectations way too high. Why has he got a 3.5 year contract? If he turned us around in six months he wouldn't be at Hearts in 12 months. Could be our biggest challenge.

I'm not proving your point as I'm happy to give him time, just as I was Neilson.

I'm just trying to point out the hypocrisy that we supposedly had a good enough team to finish second under neilson but you seem happy to write off this season under Cathro.

It was Cathro who said he would be aiming to improve the players instead of bringing in loads of new faces as he thought the squad was good enough.

If we finish below third this season it will be disappointing IMO regardless of when he's came in. However I won't be calling for his head and agree that the team will be a lot better in 12 months.

Plus I'm sure Cathro, Levein and McPhee will all be aiming to be competitive this season, as they should.

Even an Aristotle, or an Archimedes.

This abuse of philosophers has to stop, although I'll make an exception for the Dawkins' Delusion.

scott herbertson

Have never felt so excited to be a Jambo, the cerebral approach is clearly the way forward.

You're right, we're even talking philosophers

Pity it's too late to sign this one

PA-386370-310x415.jpg

Start of next season is going to be huge.

Cathro will have had 2 transfer windows and a preseason so it'll be his team.

New stand will be completed.

What a time!

The way the league is looking atm 3rd would be a good result.

We simply have to stop shipping points to the smaller clubs away from home.

Last night's game was a good example The Rangers go to Hamilton and get the win by going for it from the start.

If their isn't improvement in our away form soon people are going to be disappointed.

I'm not proving your point as I'm happy to give him time, just as I was Neilson.

I'm just trying to point out the hypocrisy that we supposedly had a good enough team to finish second under neilson but you seem happy to write off this season under Cathro.

It was Cathro who said he would be aiming to improve the players instead of bringing in loads of new faces as he thought the squad was good enough.

If we finish below third this season it will be disappointing IMO regardless of when he's came in. However I won't be calling for his head and agree that the team will be a lot better in 12 months.

Plus I'm sure Cathro, Levein and McPhee will all be aiming to be competitive this season, as they should.

i didn't say we should write off this season nor did I say we wouldn't be competitive this season. I just said that's it's unrealistic to expect any significant changes in the short time left this season. The squad is decent enough it's just not big enough in terms of quality. He will need to address that. Injuries to any of Rheras, Paterson, Djoum, Walker, Johnssen would leave us short.

Sometimes you have to take a step back before taking a large stride forward, but there will be limits to what fans will accept. As for Anne and Craig, they will give him all the time in the world, thats a guarantee.

A_A wehatethehibs

Nope, disagree, the new manager is under exactly the same pressure as Robbie if not more pressure given his press and lack of track record.

Cathro must win games and the objective for the season is unchanged, 2nd. There is a long way to go this season and we have a good team here which was sitting 2nd (just) when he took over. In the blink of an eye we are now 8 points off 2nd.

We expect wins now. If we lose today at home to Partick, the honeymoon period will already be over for Cathro. This isn't a ****ing nursery for young managers to make their mistakes this is Heart of Midlothian and nothing less than a win will do at Tynecastle.

But I'm sure cathro macphee and levein are well aware of that - hopefully the players put on a big performance today. Cathro needs one, to get the doubters and the "wait and see"s on side in his first home game.

All roads lead to Gorgie

We were hitting a Plato with RN...

No disrespect to Robbie but I don't think he had quite the same level of thought as Plato :sunny: 

Pretty sure Cathro went into Rangers game with us in 4th (Neilson left with us in 2nd) While we should definitely aim to be competitive in battle for 2-4, wouldn't be unhappy with 4th and better progress in the SC and then make a really go of it from next season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazzas right boot

Of course he will be given time.

However, if December goes wrong we might see ourselves fighting for 5th rather than 2nd or 3rd.

Neilson, for all his critic's, never dropped a league position and we were difficult to beat.

I afforded Neilson time as we were showing steady progress, if this progress is halted or reversed then questions need to be asked.

No comparison with Neilson is helpful either, as he wasn't sacked. He left of his own accord, so we had to get a new manager, if we had sacked him and things go in reverse then questions would be asked more quickly.

Plenty time but I do fear we'll be cut adrift from the top 3 and the season may end up a bit of a drag. Hopefully 4 wins this month and we are rocking!

Bazzas right boot

Pretty sure Cathro went into Rangers game with us in 4th (Neilson left with us in 2nd) While we should definitely aim to be competitive in battle for 2-4, wouldn't be unhappy with 4th and better progress in the SC and then make a really go of it from next season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As with Neilson, nothing has changed for the rational fan in this regard.

Of course he will be given time.

However, if December goes wrong we might see ourselves fighting for 5th rather than 2nd or 3rd.

Neilson, for all his critic's, never dropped a league position and we were difficult to beat.

I afforded Neilson time as we were showing steady progress, if this progress is halted or reversed then questions need to be asked.

No comparison with Neilson is helpful either, as he wasn't sacked. He left of his own accord, so we had to get a new manager, if we had sacked him and things go in reverse then questions would be asked more quickly.

Plenty time but I do fear we'll be cut adrift from the top 3 and the season may end up a bit of a drag. Hopefully 4 wins this month and we are rocking!

Lets hope December doesn't go wrong. January/Feb 1 is Raith (a), Celtic (a), Rangers (h) in the space of 10/11 days. If December is bad season could be over in January.

Bridge of Djoum

A very philosophical post.

Spot on.

Kant see any reason why we shouldn't finish second.

No much slack given today. Didn't think there would be if we didn't win.

Archived