New style of play

grumpyespana

Reading on the net that Ian will change the way we play so get used to it guys it will get boring to watch at time its all about ball retention playing across the back maybe a short pass forward then pass it back again just like watching spanish football, in the long run when we are all educated in the spanish way it will be a joy to watch. no having a dig at our coach but be prepared for our new style of play it may work for us it may not but we must give him our full backing.

Reading on the net that Ian will change the way we play so get used to it guys it will get boring to watch at time its all about ball retention playing across the back maybe a short pass forward then pass it back again just like watching spanish football, in the long run when we are all educated in the spanish way it will be a joy to watch. no having a dig at our coach but be prepared for our new style of play it may work for us it may not but we must give him our full backing.

Sounds very much like a lot of what we did under Robbie, especially in the Championship.

We_are_the_Hearts

Ball retention without a purpose is a waste of time. Football is changing and it's all about high pressing, pace and tempo. Cathro is not daft

Doesnt so bad too different from what we've done already under Neilson.

Impression I got from Cathro's initial press conference was he was an attack minded coach who would maybe get us playing the high tempo pressing game that we desire.

Although last Saturday's performance was anything but.

So in short, the same way Neilson tried to get us to play.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/arnaud-djoum-explains-ian-cathro-s-control-tactics-at-hearts-1-4318712

?I have a good impression of him,? midfielder Arnaud Djoum told the Evening News in an exclusive interview. ?This guy thinks a lot about football with a lot of short passes and I like it. Yes, he is pretty young but when he is speaking in front of us we don?t see much difference from the last gaffer. Everybody is concentrating and just wants to learn. I think he is a good gaffer, really smart with a lot of qualities.

?Tactically, he wants us to improve things like our ball possession and how we start the game. Those small details are really important for him. We are learning this in training. We want to have more control of the games so that they are not so up-and-down. This is something we need and we are doing this in training. I think you will see improvement in the next few games.

?He wants us to keep the ball for longer. He says, with the quality we have, we must have more control of the game in this league. We are working a lot on that. We will learn what he wants from us on the pitch and we will improve in a few weeks. We will be better and better.?

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

In words if Paulo Sergio "if we have the the ball they can't score!"

To be fair to Paulo, he hadn't seen Jordan McGhee play at that time.

Remain excited by Cathro

Sounds like how Sergio wanted and tried to play but couldn't implement.

Hoping the fact that Cathro has good British experience helps him mesh it together.

The fans hated it at the time.

chester copperpot

The secret is not in ball retention, it's what you actually do with it when you have possession of it.

Atletico Madrid are a good example of this. They very rarely have more than 50% possession (well in the bigger games anyway) but it's what they do when they have the ball.

I hope we don't have 60% possession per game yet we dont create many chances.

I am sure Cathro is going to be succesful though.

He's about possession but not for its own sake, there needs to be some damage at the end of it, I think he going to work on that. We were guilty of having the ball for spells and doing nothing with it, putting everybody to sleep in the process.

Hopefully the 'wuv aye played shite fitba' mob get with the programme.

:brucey:

Diadora Van Basten

I remember in the friendly v Man City we played some nice football out from the back.

Went to Ibrox in the first game got almost caught out once then I never saw it again.

I enjoyed us playing out from the back as the last time we did it was when Sandy Jardine was playing and it was effective so was disappointed that we binned it.

I think Cathro will be more determined to play from the back otherwise there is no point in having him as the manager.

And in the "library" that is supposedly Tynecastle, a fat balding mid-50's male, looks up from his mobile after checking his cash out bets, and shouts: " ****** get it up the ****** park Hertz!"

Never happy.

[emoji23] I've got a few around me like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would rather watch passing at the back than watch countless aimless pumps upfield

Especially when we don't have the players though Muirhead helps. So much possession and momentum wasted especially games like Inverness away.

See what happens. Still think we'll go direct at times.

I got the impression from a previous Cathro interview that he wanted us to play very much on the front foot, which kind of contradicts the OP.

I like how Djoum is saying Cathro wants to improve how we start the game because I think the slow starts are the biggest source of frustration for us.

We_are_the_Hearts

The secret is not in ball retention, it's what you actually do with it when you have possession of it.

Atletico Madrid are a good example of this. They very rarely have more than 50% possession (well in the bigger games anyway) but it's what they do when they have the ball.

I hope we don't have 60% possession per game yet we dont create many chances.

I am sure Cathro is going to be succesful though.

Someone gets it  :2thumbsup:

And in the "library" that is supposedly Tynecastle, a fat balding mid-50's male, looks up from his mobile after checking his cash out bets, and shouts: " ****** get it up the ****** park Hertz!"

Never happy.

hahaha, i have a guy near me that roars "this is a libary" every week when he tries to start a song but fails...

It's not just about posession it's also about how quickly the ball is moved and how far up the pitch it all happens. Sometimes  under Robbie the play was so slow and so deep that teams were pressing us in our own box, as at Kilmarnock for example.

If Cathro can get that right we'll do well.

It's not just about posession it's also about how quickly the ball is moved and how far up the pitch it all happens. Sometimes under Robbie the play was so slow and so deep that teams were pressing us in our own box, as at Kilmarnock for example.

If Cathro can get that right we'll do well.

Yeah

Expect he wants the ball moved faster cos that is one of key ways to harass defences

He has said it will take time and not to expect big changes

I don't think ball retention and the high pressing game are mutually exclusive. I've got no issue with short passing but, what I do have issues with is, when we have a free kick in the opposition half at 0-0 or even at 1-0 down and the ball goes backwards or short. For me there has to be a bit of both. Under Robbie, at times there would be numerous passes across the back, to keeper, back out and then a big hoof. A bit aimless and negative. When we set about teams the whole atmosphere changes. We can play on the front foot and I hope we do, home and away. That's the impression Cathro is giving me.

Whereas Ian Cathro said something like "I want fans running down the street desperate to get in by kick off, so they don't miss a minute". I suppose we can all put our own slant on what we read though eh?

For me the biggest thing he could do, is to get Walker and Watt playing together and complimenting each others' games. Also to find a strong and reliable CB partnership.

As for the style of play stuff, I think a lot of people expect the impossible. People don't take the other team in to account and think that you can just play through anybody. It's just not that simple. The biggest problem is balancing attack and defence. If we go all out attack then it puts a lot of responsibility on the full backs and the central midfield players, because every time we attack and don't score, we will leave space at the back which even a decent counter attacking team will exploit. It worked when we had Pressley and Webster or Weir and Ritchie shoring us up at the back because they were quite frankly outstanding defensive partnerships and they were protected by Salvatori and Brellier. We are not there yet however. Kitchen is important if we are going to be playing an extremely attacking game, and we need to find a more reliable CB partnership who can deal with both route one long ball counter attacks, crosses in to the box and football players running at them. I'm hopefull that Cathro can sort that out.

For me the biggest thing he could do, is to get Walker and Watt playing together and complimenting each others' games. Also to find a strong and reliable CB partnership.

As for the style of play stuff, I think a lot of people expect the impossible. People don't take the other team in to account and think that you can just play through anybody. It's just not that simple. The biggest problem is balancing attack and defence. If we go all out attack then it puts a lot of responsibility on the full backs and the central midfield players, because every time we attack and don't score, we will leave space at the back which even a decent counter attacking team will exploit. It worked when we had Pressley and Webster or Weir and Ritchie shoring us up at the back because they were quite frankly outstanding defensive partnerships and they were protected by Salvatori and Brellier. We are not there yet however. Kitchen is important if we are going to be playing an extremely attacking game, and we need to find a more reliable CB partnership who can deal with both route one long ball counter attacks, crosses in to the box and football players running at them. I'm hopefull that Cathro can sort that out.

Good summary

He's said he can see some things to improve in how we defend

Seems to be a trend where more teams are winning with less possession, Leicester being an example last season. Bournemouth another. Hopefully works for us.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

I got the impression from a previous Cathro interview that he wanted us to play very much on the front foot, which kind of contradicts the OP.

I like how Djoum is saying Cathro wants to improve how we start the game because I think the slow starts are the biggest source of frustration for us.

yes it totally contradicts the OP

the Rangers team of late 80s with Gary Stevens etc totally dominated possession without aimless passing meaning decent sides including hearts could rarely get out their own half

they also pressed high up the park

aimless passing around is exactly that and leceister and now west brom making the 'purists' looking slightly theoretical

Just give me goals and clean sheets Hearts that's all

Seems simple enough, can't believe previous managers/head coaches haven't thought of this.

I've liked the way we played the last two games at Tynie.

We weren't over passy, we done the key things well. We passed behind Rangers and Motherwell and had the runners.

We moved the ball quickly forward when we could and used the ability in the team.

My problem with Hearts lately was inconsistency and sometimes looked like we lacked fight.

Otherwise I've never been into the obsession with keeping the ball for the sake of it. The key is doing the important things well imo.

Fort Vallance

So in short, the same way Neilson tried to get us to play.

It sounds like Cathro want's to play it higher up the pitch.

Gene Parmesan

Not seeing anywhere that Cathro wants a full game plan of ball retention, the 'pass them to death' tactic of Pep's Barcelona. I think he's closer aligned to the Klopp school of thinking - a high press, with intensity off the ball, and then being smart enough to retain possession AND play on the front foot when they win it back.

Liverpool maintain an average 58% possession in a game but they are never playing aimless, lateral or backwards passes. I think that's what Cathro hopes to implement.

Amoruso_lets_it_run

I remember in the friendly v Man City we played some nice football out from the back.

Went to Ibrox in the first game got almost caught out once then I never saw it again.

I enjoyed us playing out from the back as the last time we did it was when Sandy Jardine was playing and it was effective so was disappointed that we binned it.

I think Cathro will be more determined to play from the back otherwise there is no point in having him as the manager.

When we were in the Championship we constantly played it out from the back. Alexander would play almost every goal kick short to a defender rather than punting up the pitch

They guy behind me at tynie will be raging, he will be murder on Saturday. Get ready for 90 min of 'get it up the park Hearts' in section T

its all about ball retention playing across the back maybe a short pass forward then pass it back again just like watching spanish football,

Is this a quote from Ian himself ? or something you assume will happen

Its a bit of a change from the language he was coming out with on appointment which was all about playing at high tempo and speed, pace, belief and purpose.

Can you link to the article where he has said we will be playing a Spanish style of possession football ?

IMO, try and play slow deliberate possession football in this country, unless you have a much higher calibre of player than we have, and you'll get humped week after week.

Would rather watch passing at the back than watch countless aimless pumps upfield

Yes especially when we have forwards that have difficulty trying to header a ball despite their height.

They guy behind me at tynie will be raging, he will be murder on Saturday. Get ready for 90 min of 'get it up the park Hearts' in section T

So you sit in front of Craig then? :sunny:

Dr Ian Malcolm

I hope we're more efficient in possession. Last season in particular, too many players guilty of taking unnecessary extra touches, running ten yards towards whoever they're more passing to before doing so or thinking about a pass, turning the other way for another then back to playing the pass they'd originally thought about in the first place. Kills the tempo stone dead.

Jambof3tornado

The problem we have with possession football is teams like St Johnstone work hard to press us high and we have to resort to wild panicked passing 60 yards up the pitch!

Rossi a bit of a flapper at times.

That's so old fashioned. The modern game is to press up

The problem we have with possession football is teams like St Johnstone work hard to press us high and we have to resort to wild panicked passing 60 yards up the pitch!

Rossi a bit of a flapper at times.

That's modern football

In the championship under Robbie we blitzed teams from the start and nEver gave them a chance to get going. I know we were playing weaker opposition but the style is sound and with a higher calibre player there Is no reason why we can't do that now.

We also did it under burely

Firstly, not sure you can make this assumption that we are going back to 'tippy tappy' boring football. I hope you are wrong!

I find it ironic that in Neilson's last match he played the way we have been screaming for - Loads of width in the team, pressing the opposition on their 18 yard line, midfielders charging forward to support our striker.  Cathro wants a Valencia type atmosphere at Tynecastle - play like that and the place will be rocking. 

Go back to 'possession' football and you will get a library atmosphere!!

The Natural Order

We won't get a new style of play, Levein won't let Cathro change it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Passing round the back doesn't bother me - it's thereafter that does. How do we get it from there up the park? Cos if it's pass it round the back 10 times as much - and still hump it up the field in one kick, then what's the point?

When we were in the Championship we constantly played it out from the back. Alexander would play almost every goal kick short to a defender rather than punting up the pitch

Perfect example was that Raith away game. Hamilton rolled it short to Gomis every time and there wasn't a Raith player within 20 yards of him.

It works when other teams allow you to/you have the players to do it.

We tried it against Celtic and got caught out because they pressed Gomis who wasn't good enough to get out of the situation.

Never happy.

This.

We won't get a new style of play, Levein won't let Cathro change it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

yawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

August Landmesser

I'm sure I read an interview with Austin MacPhee where he said that the aim is to score within five passes. Doesn't sound very slow or tippy-tappy to me...

Archived