U20s v Aberdeen

Mikey1874

Footballfirst

I don't know the team as yet but there are no overage players doing the warmup. Three of the guys on loan, Moore, Morrison and Roy are there though.

August Landmesser

Wildly off topic: Can you bring your dog along to the outdoor pitches up there? I wouldn't mind heading up to see a game if I ever have a day off during the week, but don't fancy leaving her in the car for that long.  

Footballfirst

Wildly off topic: Can you bring your dog along to the outdoor pitches up there? I wouldn't mind heading up to see a game if I ever have a day off during the week, but don't fancy leaving her in the car for that long.

Yes I think it's ok.

It's 1-0 for Aberdeen btw. Looks like we'll get humped if we don't up our game.

We_are_the_Hearts

Yes I think it's ok.

Good for the new management to see that our young team are pretty shite at an early stage. Shake up the scouting and coaching

Good for the new management to see that our young team are pretty shite at an early stage. Shake up the scouting and coaching

You are looking at a side that has 4 u16 players starting and another 3 16yr olds. Seems you are missing the point of a development squad. These are young boys learning the game and being put under pressure by the coaches to see how they react.

When was the last time you went to watch the 15's/17's to see the talent the club has coming through.

In that squad you have 3 players who played in the Victory Shield, you have 2 players who playe din the Scotland u17's squad that just qualified for the Euros.

Do you go and watch the coaching, to be in the position to say it is shite and if so are you qualified to do better, if so , whay aren't you.

Drives me mad reading people slagging off young players who are just starting out in the game. Maybe instead of slagging them off give them some support and you never know one day you can tell people you remember watching a start when he was just starting out....

Being positive is much better

Some of these lads might not be too far away from a chance at first team when Ian Cathro favours guys playing young if they are good enough.

Likes of Marc Leonard and Chris Hamilton if they stay with Hearts.

Just seen that Scotland is hosting the Under 17 Euro Elite round in March

Scotland in group with Switzerland, Serbia and Montenegro. Dates are 17, 19, 22 March

No word on venues yet.

This is also a qualifying round for FIFA Under 17 World Cup in India next October.

August Landmesser

Yes I think it's ok.

:2thumbsup:  for the first sentence

:thumbsdown: for the second sentence

Footballfirst

Full time 2-0

Very poor in the first half, but much better in the second period, although we still didn't have much in the way of a goal threat.  Just the one shot on target after 74 minutes was the sum total of the threat posed.

In the first half it was wave after wave of Aberdeen attacks and some good stops from Mason kept the scoreline respectable. Even so, both the goals were avoidable. Leon Jones completely missed a ball across the face of the goal for the first, then Harry Cochrane looked to have been fouled, but still had possession before losing it 25 yards out from goal.

I thought Jon Daly got the tactics and positions wrong at the start, tying to play balls up to Marc Leonard, then Callumn Morrison to hold the ball up.  Neither of them are strikers, nor are they physically equipped to play that way. We needed to be playing more balls in front of the strikers and wide players to run onto.  Chris Hamilton started at centre back, was moved to right back after half an hour then played the last 15 mins as a central midfielder. Yves Vladislav started as a holding midfielder, was moved to centre back, then finished back in midfield.

I think we had seven possible U20s unavailable due to injury so it was a pretty threadbare squad. (Baur, Brandon, Godinho, Currie, McDonald, Petkov, McLean). 

You are looking at a side that has 4 u16 players starting and another 3 16yr olds. Seems you are missing the point of a development squad. These are young boys learning the game and being put under pressure by the coaches to see how they react.

When was the last time you went to watch the 15's/17's to see the talent the club has coming through.

In that squad you have 3 players who played in the Victory Shield, you have 2 players who playe din the Scotland u17's squad that just qualified for the Euros.

Do you go and watch the coaching, to be in the position to say it is shite and if so are you qualified to do better, if so , whay aren't you.

Drives me mad reading people slagging off young players who are just starting out in the game. Maybe instead of slagging them off give them some support and you never know one day you can tell people you remember watching a start when he was just starting out....

I don't disagree with you but I think what a few of us are concerned about is tyebgap in the talent coming through. We don't really have anyone knocking on the door of the first team right now. That might change in 2-3 yrs when those 15-16 yr olds come through, but in the meantime we'll have to acquire players for the first team. Probably to be expected given we're not long out of administration.

Full time 2-0

Very poor in the first half, but much better in the second period, although we still didn't have much in the way of a goal threat.  Just the one shot on target after 74 minutes was the sum total of the threat posed.

In the first half it was wave after wave of Aberdeen attacks and some good stops from Mason kept the scoreline respectable. Even so, both the goals were avoidable. Leon Jones completely missed a ball across the face of the goal for the first, then Harry Cochrane looked to have been fouled, but still had possession before losing it 25 yards out from goal.

I thought Jon Daly got the tactics and positions wrong at the start, tying to play balls up to Marc Leonard, then Callumn Morrison to hold the ball up.  Neither of them are strikers, nor are they physically equipped to play that way. We needed to be playing more balls in front of the strikers and wide players to run onto.  Chris Hamilton started at centre back, was moved to right back after half an hour then played the last 15 mins as a central midfielder. Yves Vladislav started as a holding midfielder, was moved to centre back, then finished back in midfield.

I think we had seven possible U20s unavailable due to injury so it was a pretty threadbare squad. (Baur, Brandon, Godinho, Currie, McDonald, Petkov, McLean). 

If he's getting his players to punt balls up front to the forwards as a game plan, then if everything we've heard about Cathro is true surely Daly's days are numbered?

Footballfirst

Were Cathro or his no2 present?

Levein was watching but the first team was training on one of the back pitches while the game was on.

Footballfirst

If he's getting his players to punt balls up front to the forwards as a game plan, then if everything we've heard about Cathro is true surely Daly's days are numbered?

They weren't playing long balls, but were still having problems getting the ball into the feet of the forward players.  Basically the whole side struggled to make a forward pass during the first half.

Charlie-Brown

Sandison? Any relative to Jimmy? Also think there is another Sandison who works at the Academy doing the kids football.

I don't disagree with you but I think what a few of us are concerned about is tyebgap in the talent coming through. We don't really have anyone knocking on the door of the first team right now. That might change in 2-3 yrs when those 15-16 yr olds come through, but in the meantime we'll have to acquire players for the first team. Probably to be expected given we're not long out of administration.

I've posted this before, but at my FOH plot ceremony Levein was there.

He thinks that 2of the 20s, I took it from 18 - 20, may have a chance of being in the first team squad, the 15 - 17s has 4 that have a really good chance of making it, but the talent in the younger age groups is exceptional.

I think there is a call from the SFA to return to 'proper' reserve team football.  Might take time but we will get there.

I've posted this before, but at my FOH plot ceremony Levein was there.

He thinks that 2of the 20s, I took it from 18 - 20, may have a chance of being in the first team squad, the 15 - 17s has 4 that have a really good chance of making it, but the talent in the younger age groups is exceptional.

I think there is a call from the SFA to return to 'proper' reserve team football. Might take time but we will get there.

From what I've seen of the U20's I'd agree there can only be one or two likely to progress. Albeit it's all about development, you can't help but look at the 20's results and wonder. I'm not convinced Daly has got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived