The managerial shortlist is....Gudjon Thordarson, Vladimir Weiss & Andrei Zygmantovic

Sherlock

Best of British luck to whoever gets the nod....

Thordarson on Hearts manager shortlist along with Slovakian and Belarussian.

GUDJON THORDARSON is one of three names on Vladimir Romanov's shortlist for the Hearts managerial vacancy, and the Evening News can reveal that Slovakian Vladimir Weiss and Belarussian Andrei Zygmantovich are the others.

Contrary to reports there will be no unveiling of a new manager at Tynecastle tomorrow with all three contenders due for further talks. Thordarson, a former coach of Stoke City, has been previously linked with the position and would be keen to employ Scotland assistant Terry Butcher as part of his managerial team.

He can point to previous experience of British football with Stoke City and has earned himself a reputation as a strict disciplinarian. Thordarson had been set to become caretaker boss of Hibs in 2004, but made a dramatic U-turn on the day he was going to sign and the job later went to Tony Mowbray.

As Romanov keeps his options open, Hearts have also approached Artmedia Bratislava coach Weiss as a potential candidate for the position.

The 43-year-old Slovakian has emerged as a surprise contender and is extremely keen on the prospect of defecting to Scotland. However, Artmedia officials maintain that further talks with Romanov are essential before they would consider allowing their head coach to leave.

Speaking exclusively to the Evening News, Artmedia general manager Petr Kaspar confirmed: "Hearts are interested in our manager and we have already had some talks with them, but nothing is finalised yet. I will try to talk more with Mr Romanov this week. Mr Weiss is very interested in becoming the manager of Hearts, he realises they are a big club in the Scottish Premier League but we will need more discussions with their people first."

Weiss guided the club to a league and cup double last season, winning the championship by an 11-point margin from second-placed MSK Zilina. He masterminded Artmedia's 5-0 annihilation of Celtic three years ago in a Champions League qualifier, eventually eliminating Gordon Strachan's side 5-4 on aggregate. He is known to speak some English but is not fluent and has no experience of UK football.

Zygmantovich remains an outside bet having worked previously for Romanov at both of his eastern European clubs, MTZ Ripo and FBK Kaunas. The majority shareholder is keen to recruit a new manager before the end of the month to allow pre-season training to commence under a permanent appointment.

Following Mark McGhee's last-minute decision to reject his advances, Romanov has been busy formulating contingency plans at his Lithuanian headquarters. Thordarson, Weiss and Zygmantovich are the back-up candidates he has in mind but a final decision has yet to be taken on who will take command of Hearts next season.

Meanwhile, former Hearts defender Ibrahim Tall has joined French club Nantes on a two-year contract. He left Tynecastle last month following the expiry of his contract.

Nelly Terraces

Thor would be my choice. Got to be him all the way.

Have to be honest and say the mere mention of the other 2 makes my blood run cold.

Zygmantovich if appointed should result in the immediate coming together of all Hearts fans in insisting on the removal of Romanov.

Weiss? No experience of UK football. A potentially disasterous and senseless appointment if made. Once he fails should result in the immediate coming together of all Hearts fans in insisting on the removal of Romanov

If thats our short list then the person making the decisions at Hearts remains detached from the requirements of SPL football

Only 1 out of 3 are vaguely suitable

Shocking if true. Fingers crossed for GT.

Me too, Thor is my first choice (from that list). Although the Bratislavia manager might do good, just a shame he has NO experience of UK football, which is a drawback when recruiting a manager with UK experience.

jambos are go!
Zygmantovich if appointed should result in the immediate coming together of all Hearts fans in insisting on the removal of Romanov.

Weiss? No experience of UK football. A potentially disasterous and senseless appointment if made. Once he fails should result in the immediate coming together of all Hearts fans in insisting on the removal of Romanov

If thats our short list then the person making the decisions at Hearts remains detached from the requirements of SPL football

Except me at least.

Thor for me although Weiss's record in his homeland is very good.

Going on that report the Weiss talks seem the most advanced.

grumpyjambo

I take that you will be organising this? Would you not even give the guy a chance?

Maybe, just maybe, the inclusion of Weiss and Zygmantovich is just a ruse to make sure that Thordarson has the full backing and endorsement of the fans.

Hilary Briss

Thor would be preference of 3 as long as butcher is assistant. If the Butcher story is alot of bollocks I wouldnt want any of them TBH.

As others have said, I would take Butcher as manager.

Nelly Terraces
I take that you will be organising this? Would you not even give the guy a chance?

Might be a tricky task and a risk assessment would be required 1st as there could easily be a nasty accident if you got caught up in the strings Vlad would be operating Zygmantovich with. :rolleyes:

I doubt Zygmantovich will ever be here.

He was moved out from MTZ RIPO to FBK to allow Yuri Puntus to take over. Zygmantovich didn't have the appropriate UEFA badges so was not even allowed to be titled "Head Coach" at Kaunas.

It looks like Romanov is putting more time and effort into the Minsk team than any other just now. MTZ are currently top of the league, have just won the cup and will be playing their first UEFA Cup tie next month.

Zygmantovich wasn't good enough to be part of that set up, so I doubt he will be considered for a job at the JT's.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Rather than worry about the names on the shortlist, I'm more concerned about the comments that Vlad has taken on responsibility himself for the appointment. This doesn't augur well for Campbell Ogilvie, IMHO.

Whose your money on then?

My hint...

"Zygmantovich remains an outside bet having worked previously for Romanov at both of his eastern European clubs, MTZ Ripo and FBK Kaunas. The majority shareholder is keen to recruit a new manager before the end of the month to allow pre-season training to commence under a permanent appointment."

ready made lap dog IMO.

Drylaw Hearts
Rather than worry about the names on the shortlist, I'm more concerned about the comments that Vlad has taken on responsibility himself for the appointment. This doesn't augur well for Campbell Ogilvie, IMHO.

Agreed.

It would appear VR has no confidence in CO's ability to deliver a new Manager after the MM debacle.

jamboinglasgow
Thor for me although Weiss's record in his homeland is very good.

Going on that report the Weiss talks seem the most advanced.

I agree, though Thor is my choice of those candidates Weiss does have a good record and has beaten Celtic (always good) although he doesn't have experence of British football, an assitant with good knowledge of Scottish football i.e. Butcher could work.

Nelly Terraces

Mate, I was just thinking that. Not a mention of Campbell Og anywhere in any of this. VERY worrying. Backs up what I've heard that CO won't be around much longer.

Guest JamboRobbo

That is my concern also.

The last thing we need, is Vlad ****ing everything up AGAIN.

Mate, I was just thinking that. Not a mention of Campbell Og anywhere in any of this. VERY worrying. Backs up what I've heard that CO won't be around much longer.

Much like the few genuinely decent players we have I'm surprised he has stuck around so long. Anyone wanting to have a credible career would be better off out of Hearts. Sad but true.

Start the rumours about sundry foreign coaches.

Let the fans work themselves into a frenzy both pro and anti

Wait

So . . JJ is a shoe-in after all :)

Hearts players want a British manager.

Hearts fans want a british manager.

Everyone connected to Hearts wants a British manager.

Vlad has 3 foriegners on his shortlist, none of whom have Uk football experience we desperatly need!!!! None of these guys should be the next manager given the position we find ourselves in!

Guest JamboRobbo
Start the rumours about sundry foreign coaches.

Let the fans work themselves into a frenzy both pro and anti

Wait

So . . JJ is a shoe-in after all :)

Agree this is a possibility. Let's hope it is something along those lines.

He masterminded Artmedia's 5-0 annihilation of Celtic three years ago in a Champions League qualifier

wouldn't mind that again would we.?

jamboinglasgow

Vlad has 3 foriegners on his shortlist, none of whom have Uk football experience we desperatly need!!!! None of these guys should be the next manager given the position we find ourselves in!

except for Thor who has manager Stoke City, Barnsley and Notts County. Also I want a manager with British experence not nessecarly a british manager.

Wrong

jamboinglasgow

yes Vlad has been more hands on but who is to say CO was not on the phone advising him.

Guest JamboRobbo
yes Vlad has been more hands on but who is to say CO was not on the phone advising him.

We've all seen repeatedly what happens when Vlad gets hands on. He ****s things up.

Cut The Crap
Agreed.

It would appear VR has no confidence in CO's ability to deliver a new Manager after the MM debacle.

To be fair, based on the MM debacle, Vlad is entitled to be disappointed with CO's efforts. I know I am. Hardly surprising then that CO's all-Scottish shortlist seems to have been binned.

Looks like we're back on the roller-coaster, desperately hoping that Vlad can somehow fluke is way to a decent appointment. Enjoy the ride. :P

Lol, that 3rd guy's name would be a killer at scrabble! :D

Why bother paying some eastern european diddy a salary when Mad Malofeev would probably do it for free? This whole manager search has been a complete waste of time!!

Vlad's really showing his ambition with these candidates for sure :rolleyes:

jamboinglasgow
We've all seen repeatedly what happens when Vlad gets hands on. He ****s things up.

I agree but thats usually when he is surronded by yes men who let Vlad think he is making a great descision. CO seems to be getting more influnce and I remember london Hearts saying that in a Q&A with CO, CO said that there is a new advisor in Lithuania who works with Vlad who gets on well with CO so things are moving alot better. It may be in the past there was a different guy who was reluctant to say anything different to Vlad.

I agree but thats usually when he is surronded by yes men who let Vlad think he is making a great descision.

Lol, so he'll listen to anyone who tells him he's wrong then?

Whose your money on then?

My hint...

"Zygmantovich remains an outside bet having worked previously for Romanov at both of his eastern European clubs, MTZ Ripo and FBK Kaunas. The majority shareholder is keen to recruit a new manager before the end of the month to allow pre-season training to commence under a permanent appointment."

ready made lap dog IMO.

I think thats just an easy name for a journalist to throw in to be honest.

Guest JamboRobbo
I agree but thats usually when he is surronded by yes men who let Vlad think he is making a great descision.

He's usually surrounded by yes men, cause as soon as anyone speaks up with a different opinion than Vlad, he fires them.

Just ask Burley, Anderton, Foulkes or Pressley.

rudi must stay
Me too, Thor is my first choice (from that list). Although the Bratislavia manager might do good, just a shame he has NO experience of UK football, which is a drawback when recruiting a manager with UK experience.

neither did Mourinho at Chelsea, Wenger at Arsenal. If this guy is good then give him a chance imo

Rudolf's Mate

The mighty Thor all the way for me!

I doubt Zygmantovich will ever be here.

He was moved out from MTZ RIPO to FBK to allow Yuri Puntus to take over. Zygmantovich didn't have the appropriate UEFA badges so was not even allowed to be titled "Head Coach" at Kaunas.

It looks like Romanov is putting more time and effort into the Minsk team than any other just now. MTZ are currently top of the league, have just won the cup and will be playing their first UEFA Cup tie next month.

Zygmantovich wasn't good enough to be part of that set up, so I doubt he will be considered for a job at the JT's.

As for saying the above.... You honestly think that would stop mad from having him in the set up!!!

If that happened I shouldnt need to organise anything

I'd rely upon the Hearts fans as a whole to enough intelligence to realise we were getting royally shafted and things werent going to change

I've given 4 coaches from the pyramid a chance - I would not give another one a chance. He wouldnt be in control. He'd be a puppet. Romanov would have proven definitively he was not fit for purpose

Loyalty is one thing. Stupidity is another

Maybe, just maybe, the inclusion of Weiss and Zygmantovich is just a ruse to make sure that Thordarson has the full backing and endorsement of the fans.

Spot on.Give us some crap names and then we will all be grateful for the Icelander. None of the lot gives any confidence that Romanov is changing in any way. More of the same:(

Looks like I can go ahead and spend my season ticket money on something else then.

The way the market is going, you could probably get a house for the same

money this time next year :P

Romanov would have proven definitively he was not fit for purpose

It would also prove that he's a liar.

If this bloke is even being considered Romanov should just GTF now :mad:

jambos are go!
If that happened I shouldnt need to organise anything

I'd rely upon the Hearts fans as a whole to enough intelligence to realise we were getting royally shafted and things werent going to change

I've given 4 coaches from the pyramid a chance - I would not give another one a chance. He wouldnt be in control. He'd be a puppet. Romanov would have proven definitively he was not fit for purpose

Loyalty is one thing. Stupidity is another

So you have no alternative - so we have no alterative but to dismiss your views as empty rhetoric.

neither did Mourinho at Chelsea, Wenger at Arsenal. If this guy is good then give him a chance imo

How dare you give whoever our new manager is a chance - it simply isn't allowed anymore!!!

I am very disappionted with that short list. There is no way that list took 6 months to draw up!!!!

Why is it nothing but lies to come out of Tynie?

rudi must stay
How dare you give whoever our new manager is a chance - it simply isn't allowed anymore!!!

it's more for the fact his team beat Celtic 5-0.

Just like we've had to give fuds like Cervenkov, Korobochka, Malofeev a chance.

Seriously, seriously underwhelmed.

Archived