Need advice - Scottish Notes

Markie

Taking my other half shopping to Newcastle for her birthday (saves buying her a present!). Giving her cash on her birthday though.

So my question is, will the geordies take my Scottish notes or do I need to go to a foreign exchange for E*****h notes?

Walter Payton
Taking my other half shopping to Newcastle for her birthday (saves buying her a present!). Giving her cash on her birthday though.

So my question is, will the geordies take my Scottish notes or do I need to go to a foreign exchange for E*****h notes?

Absolutely, definitely need to exchange them mate. I'm down in Halifax quite a lot for work so get English notes regularly. If you want I'll sell you some- ?110 Scottish for ?100 English sound fair?

;)

Doctor FinnBarr

Should be ok in shops but pubs and clubs can be a different matter depending on how many forgeries are getting passed. Always seems to be Irish travellers that pass them!

:confused:

christhejambo

I've normally found that its only once you get further south that they have a problem with them. There's always a pause and a check before they put them in the till, or some hillarious remark about foreign currency, but they've always taken them in my experience. The Geordies are generally a decent lot. Might be worth changing them if you cant be arsed with the hassle though mate.

think I might get her to pay it into the bank up here and then withdraw it again down there to save hassle, going to be bad enough spending a day shopping

Era Macaroons

You should be fine with then in Newcastle...i always have been... i think they are 'used' to them and most folk know what they are.

Problems tend to arise when you hand one to a teenager/idiot further south who hasnt seen one before or didnt know Scots notes existed.

My old mans mate had a rouse with this (20 years ago) when in London......he claimed he would get a cab, if the fare was say 12 quid, he would offer the cabbie an English fiver or a Scottish 20....they usually took the English fiver

Try depositing any cash into your bank and paying by card. Easy Peasy!

Anytime im downsouth i always just use scottish notes.. Nwcastle, Manchester, Liverpool wherever. Normally all that will happen is they scan them or ask their manager to double check they are legit.

I P Knightley

My old mans mate had a rouse with this (20 years ago) when in London......he claimed he would get a cab, if the fare was say 12 quid, he would offer the cabbie an English fiver or a Scottish 20....they usually took the English fiver

Oooh, I like that one!

Best I managed was to send a stroppy cabbie to the back of the queue at Heathrow. He'd picked me up and was on the down-ramp before telling me that he wasn't being funny but that he wasn't going to take Scottish money from me. I told him I wasn't being funny either but he'd have to let me out and I'd go and find someone who would take me and my money. The fact that I've lived in London for 20 years, had got off a flight from Nairobi or Washington or Dublin (not Scotland) and haven't had Scots notes in my wallet for ages wasn't discussed...

Doctor FinnBarr
Oooh, I like that one!

Best I managed was to send a stroppy cabbie to the back of the queue at Heathrow. He'd picked me up and was on the down-ramp before telling me that he wasn't being funny but that he wasn't going to take Scottish money from me. I told him I wasn't being funny either but he'd have to let me out and I'd go and find someone who would take me and my money. The fact that I've lived in London for 20 years, had got off a flight from Nairobi or Washington or Dublin (not Scotland) and haven't had Scots notes in my wallet for ages wasn't discussed...

:rofl:

Classic!

?

Era Macaroons
Oooh, I like that one!

I like a bit o that as well :bravo:

Archived