Topical Auldies

Morgan

With us playing 'ra bears' this weekend I was thinking about some of the best (and worst) ex Huns that have played for the Hearts.

I'll start with two horrors:

Gregor Stevens. Don't really know what to say about this thug.

Hugh Burns. Sure I must have seen him play but don't remember to be honest. A pal of mine seems to recall that he mis-timed every jump for the ball. Can't comment on that.

Reasonable: Fraser Wishart. Seem to recall he was a great prospect at Motherwell but never really did much at Rangers and even less at Hearts. Saying that, I don't think he played that many games for us. I may be wrong on this one.

Great players:

Sandy Clark. Loved the big man. He provided the perfect target man for Robbo and JC. That goal with his boot off? Superb.

Dave McPherson. My personal favourite ex Hun. Heart in mouth stuff when 'slim' took off on one of his runs but they usually went ok!

Others: Mo Johnston, Kenny Black (liked him a lot) and Alfie Conn (junior).

We_are_the_Hearts

With us playing 'ra bears' this weekend I was thinking about some of the best (and worst) ex Huns that have played for the Hearts.

I'll start with two horrors:

Gregor Stevens. Don't really know what to say about this thug.

Hugh Burns. Sure I must have seen him play but don't remember to be honest. A pal of mine seems to recall that he mis-timed every jump for the ball. Can't comment on that.

Reasonable: Fraser Wishart. Seem to recall he was a great prospect at Motherwell but never really did much at Rangers and even less at Hearts. Saying that, I don't think he played that many games for us. I may be wrong on this one.

Great players:

Sandy Clark. Loved the big man. He provided the perfect target man for Robbo and JC. That goal with his boot off? Superb.

Dave McPherson. My personal favourite ex Hun. Heart in mouth stuff when 'slim' took off on one of his runs but they usually went ok!

Others: Mo Johnston, Kenny Black (liked him a lot) and Alfie Conn (junior).

Surely Sandy Jardine in the best. Also Niemi and Doddie.......................Hugh Burns once got a good hook from Zico for making a comment to our JC. Never lasted long after that the tosser

Yer on a roll Morgan! Alfie Conn's family lived in my Village for a few years,never too fussed for his football and had a fling with his sister,she was nuts but good,dont about her footy skills though.

Missed Sandy Jardine mate

Apologies!

Was just doing a few that sprang to mind. Unbelievably, I forgot all about Sandy and wee Doddie. :vrface:

We_are_the_Hearts

Worst:  Gordan Petric

Steven Boyack 

Don't think Boyack was that bad. Wasn't in the good but defo not the worst. Nicky Walker and Davy Kirkwood in the worst defo. Derek Ferguson and Ian Ferguson (just for that goal) in the best?

Yer on a roll Morgan! Alfie Conn's family lived in my Village for a few years,never too fussed for his football and had a fling with his sister,she was nuts but good,dont about her footy skills though.

Your village wouldn't have been Prestonpans by any chance was it?

Just that I know someone from there that AC Jnr tried it on with and got knocked back big style!

Apologies!

Was just doing a few that sprang to mind. Unbelievably, I forgot all about Sandy and wee Doddie. :vrface:

no problem bro.Sometimes it's easy to miss the obvious

Another just came to my mind as I sit here - David Hagan.

He used to drink at Bruntsfield and was very much the 'I'm a footballer' type.

Don't think Boyack was that bad. Wasn't in the good but defo not the worst. Nicky Walker and Davy Kirkwood in the worst defo. Derek Ferguson and Ian Ferguson (just for that goal) in the best?

Derek Ferguson. Another player I thought had tons of skill.

Your village wouldn't have been Prestonpans by any chance was it?

Just that I know someone from there that AC Jnr tried it on with and got knocked back big style!

Place called Limekilns mate,Fife side of Forth Brig on banks o Forth,he got knocked back a few times here aswell in the local pubs so the stories go,used to strut about like Billy big baws.

Fitzroy Pointon

Antti Niemi has to be in their among the best.  Outstanding keeper.  

Edit. Just seen him mentioned above.  

Place called Limekilns mate,Fife side of Forth Brig on banks o Forth,he got knocked back a few times here aswell in the local pubs so the stories go,used to strut about like Billy big baws.

That's what she said he did too!

Hat on.Old skipper Pressley

I liked McSwegan as well...

I would agree with both.

Too hot here today to wear a tin hat though!

Fitzroy Pointon

I liked McSwegan as well...

I did as well.  He finally hit form after waiting for what felt like a life time for him to score.  After that he couldn't stop.  

We_are_the_Hearts

I did as well.  He finally hit form after waiting for what felt like a life time for him to score.  After that he couldn't stop.  

Once Adam and Cameron came back from injury he was on fire. Can only think of him and Robertson as strikers who have scored for Scotland while playing for Hearts in my lifetime. 

August Landmesser

Gordon Durie. Played for about 5 minutes IIRC. Not great but not the worst

Steven Boyack came good in the end. Far from spectacular, but did a job... That tackle on John O'Neil in the original 5-1 was a peach. Fair tackle but broke his collarbone and an advertising board.

tartofmidlothian

Does it include Rangers players after they left? Davie Weir was great for us. I was gutted when McCann went there.

Does it include Rangers players after they left? Davie Weir was great for us. I was gutted when McCann went there.

Of course!

And one Alan McLaren deserves a mention.

I remember going to see a linlithgow Rose game  and saw a beckanbeuresque performance from this right back. It turned out to be hugh burns who couldnae/wpoulnae pass to JC when he was 2 yards in front of Hugh when he played for the forces of might right and maroon

Niemi

McPherson

Jardine

McAdam

Black

MacDonald

Bett

Ferguson

Clark

Johnston M

Johnston W

For clarification Kenny Black played well at left back especially 85/86. Dave McPherson in at right back where of course he played in 98 Cup final. Jim Jefferies did well to play him there. Colin McAdam was a center half as well as a striker though not sure if he played there for Hearts. Sandy Jardine is the best player I've seen play for Hearts.

I know Maurice Johnston played for Rangers so he's in but I always think of him as a Celtic, Watford and Nantes player.

Still think I might be missing some (better) players. Edit - but that is some team.

Weir, McLaren and McCann not included as Hearts first.

jambos are go!

Ian Ferguson of Bayern Munich fame. Going further back Jim Souness a winger in the early to mid fifties who went onto be a good friend to  the Club when we were skint under Mercer.

i'll throw jim denny and derek strickland into the absolutely shite pile.

value for money black, macdonald and way out in front jardine.

shuggie burns wasn't all that bad a player, he was just a complete and utter orange prick

Hugh Burns, although absolutely Tom Kite would still be a favorite for a few on here.

Absolutely correct :thumb:

These times where he just wouldn't, like wouldn't, pass a ball to the great John Colquhoun were embarrassing.

Archived