Website Design - Gaining Experience?

Col1874

Wondering if there are any web or graphic designers on kickback who can give a bit of advice. Hopefully this could help others thinking the same as me.

I enjoy doing graphic design and building websites, but I feel stuck in my job as a pensions administrator in my 30s with no relevant design qualifications.

I'm ok at what I do but was turned down for an internal vacancy at my work due to lack of commercial experience, which is understandable.

As full time employee with no disposable income, can any of you suggest is any way to gain experience without having to fork out shed loads on advertising?

Even Gumtree charges for this type of ad these days.

Anyone?

Free to use website called code academy is a good place for learning different coding.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Wondering if there are any web or graphic designers on kickback who can give a bit of advice. Hopefully this could help others thinking the same as me.

I enjoy doing graphic design and building websites, but I feel stuck in my job as a pensions administrator in my 30s with no relevant design qualifications.

I'm ok at what I do but was turned down for an internal vacancy at my work due to lack of commercial experience, which is understandable.

As full time employee with no disposable income, can any of you suggest is any way to gain experience without having to fork out shed loads on advertising?

Anyone?

Also app sumo offers a Groupon like service for that industry.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Anyone?

Set up a Facebook page. Stick up examples of work you've done. Offer free business card design to any friends who share your page. If any run their own businesses you may get some additional jobs such as flyers/Web banners etc and this will get you on your way.

Dean Winchester

Lots of freelance websites as well like PeoplePerHour.com etc.

Probably not very competitive pay wise but probably a good place to start to build up a portfolio.

If you know any tradesmen/business owners then may be a good idea to do some free work in exchange for some advertisement/word of mouth.

Archived