Cathro in January.

Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot

The previous January transfer thread seems obsolete now, do folk expect big changes now, will we actually spend money?

Cathro must have a few targets and Ultimately want to make the team his own, although January, particularly at our end of the market isn't flush with quality.

We_are_the_Hearts
I could see a couple of loans until the end of the season to improve areas he isn't overkeen on.

Would guess CH and left mid but need to wait and see

Jambo, Goodbye

He'll look to improve what we have. But with the number of contacts the new management team have. We might be able to find someone from as far as Portugal to as nearby as NI.

He might fancy bringing back Billy King too?

There was money available for Robbie to. Improve the squad, I'd imagine it will be the same for Cathro. He's not got long to asses his squad but I've got a feeling at least three will go and the same number come in.

Tokyo Drifter

I wonder if there's maybe a few good laddies at Newcastle he might borrow till the end of the season

Ryan Gauld please. Currently on loan at Vitoria.

I don't think we will see wholesale changes. 

I think we may see Patterson leave, probably a couple of loans coming in but nothing more. 

glastonbury jambo

get juanma back , get sammon loaned out, some more cover for defence{experienced} and a midfield playmaker please..oh and an old head goalkeeper to push the 2 young uns on.

mabey a poacher who knows where the net is too.

get juanma back , get sammon loaned out, some more cover for defence{experienced} and a midfield playmaker please..oh and an old head goalkeeper to push the 2 young uns on.

Would that old head keeper not be Paul gallacher?

Maybe with MacPhee keeping his NI job we might see a current Northern Ireland player, who isnt getting games at current club, on loan for til end of season. Benefits both player and country.

No , i mean a real goalkeeper.

He played for numerous teams in Scotland and with teams like Norwich and Sheffield Wednesday. Goalkeeper shouldn't be a priority

glastonbury jambo

He played for numerous teams in Scotland and with teams like Norwich and Sheffield Wednesday. Goalkeeper shouldn't be a priority

I mean one who could potentially claim the jersey...not a coach/back up

I think both appointments are very intriguing. We could have just gone with a safe option but instead picked two that have experience outside the UK.

Would not be surprised to see us try to sign McKay-Steven in Janusry. I believe he's been told that he is surplus at Celtic.

alicante jambo

Wonder if we might see Billy King or Jordan McGhee come back into the fold?

Hope no.Im hoping with the contacts they have we shall see new players coming in.Id like to see 3 or 4 players leave.

Prince Buaben

Hope no.Im hoping with the contacts they have we shall see new players coming in.Id like to see 3 or 4 players leave.

I would like to see a couple leave too but i do think that either could still play a part for us.

I'm interested to see if MacPhee has any connections in Japan.

Wouldn't mind sow back on loan if so. Is he getting more of a game over there yet?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Wouldn't mind sow back on loan if so. Is he getting more of a game over there yet?

He plays in China

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

alicante jambo

Sent from my SM-G930F using

Tapatalk

Our defence is howling.A forward is hopefully the last thing hes thinking of.

You've got to think that Nuno will throw him a few players to get him going!  Big Mike will also want us to pump SevCo so might do us a favour or 2 (rather than throw us shite like he did to them)

Depends on the system, the personel and the tactics he employs.

From what I have read and heard from Cathro and MacPhee i'm thinking it'll be a high pressing game and direct footnall attacking football. I've heard MacPhee say that people suffer from (Barcelonaitis) and there is an obsession with possession football in the modern game. He made examples about Leicester and Northern Ireland who's approach is to score a goal within 5 passes.

I don't know the system favoured by either of those two but I'd hazzard a guess at 4-2-3-1 and Cathro's approach may be similar to Kloops at Dortmund and now at Liverpool.

Personnel wise, I think there will be a few on the move. I don't believe the January transfer window will be particularly exciting. He'll want to work with the group and see what improvements can be made without a major upheaval or overhaul midway through the campaign. We might see one or two but nothing majot. The summer however might be a different story.

I'd say he'll give players time and will do his very best to improve a player, including youth, before signing someone above them.

In saying that he's obviously still close to the Porto manager and Rafa clearly trusts him so any Newcastle or Porto players needing games may very well come to us on loan. Same with Valencia and Rio Ave.

That little winger St Mirren got on loan from Rio Ave won them the league cup and got them to their highest ever finish.

Unless someone is utterly a class above I doubt they'll come in - he'd rather improve players that already here.

Maybe with MacPhee keeping his NI job we might see a current Northern Ireland player, who isnt getting games at current club, on loan for til end of season. Benefits both player and country.

Will Grigg. :pleasing:

Would not be surprised to see us try to sign McKay-Steven in Janusry. I believe he's been told that he is surplus at Celtic.

Would take that in a minute not sure we could match what he wants though

There was money available for Robbie to. Improve the squad, I'd imagine it will be the same for Cathro. He's not got long to asses his squad but I've got a feeling at least three will go and the same number come in.

With Cathro's potential contacts, I wouldn't be surprised if more funds have been found.

The Natural Order

I'm not sure Cathro's contacts matter much. I'm fairly sure Neilson didn't pick many signings, just coached the squad given to him by Levein. Presume it'll be the same structure for Cathro.

Maybe not though, a fresh perspective on what the team need wouldn't be a bad thing.

rudi must stay

The Record has some Belgian striker at Porto as a maybe - loan of 6 months potentially suiting both parties. Also defenders - obviously pure guesswork based on connections at other clubs but interesting enough

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/who-hearts-boss-ian-cathro-9401818

the defender could be right, although I think they might be after someone with more experience without a team. 

No matter who it is we were a good club to sign for but now with the feelgood factor at the club who knows who could come in, exciting times maybe the best ever?

Get Juanma back you say.

I never thought i'd hear a Hearts fan saying that after what that lazy git did or rather what he didn't do.

Get Juanma back you say.

I never thought i'd hear a Hearts fan saying that after what that lazy git did or rather what he didn't do.

Top scorer last season. Double figures too.

Captain Canada

I think there might be quite a few ins and outs this coming January.

Paterson and Souttar could attract good offers. I think we may see the back of Watt & Buaben with Sammon going out on loan.

I know Neilson said he wouldn't raid us, but I could also see Rossi and Muirhead either leaving for MK Dons in January or signing pre-contract deals.

Basically, we'll have nobody left. Although on the bright side, Cathro will be able to bring in his own guys!

Tynecastle Valhalla

Get Juanma back you say.

Most hearts fans I know want him back

Good player

I'm not so sure there will be a huge amount of movement tbh.....Cathro and MacPhee only have a maximum of 5 games to assess the squad before the window opens....not a huge amount of time.

Anyone who does come in will probably be a short term loan imo.

glastonbury jambo

Get Juanma back you say.

And what was that then? if he came back he would be on fire to prove himself..

Most hearts fans I know want him back

Good player

I wouldn't take him back.

Yes he is more of a goal threat than Sammon but Sammon offers more in terms of link up play in my opinion.

To progress and move up a level (like we all want hearts to do) we need a player who can do both.

If Cathro and his techy hipster magic can merge the two to make some Juammon hybrid then we could give him a shot. But for now I think neither should replace Johnson as he has the potential to be both link-up and goal threat

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I wonder if there's maybe a few good laddies at Newcastle he might borrow till the end of the season

Hopefully better than the ones Sevco got!

I'm not so sure there will be a huge amount of movement tbh.....Cathro and MacPhee only have a maximum of 5 games to assess the squad before the window opens....not a huge amount of time.

Anyone who does come in will probably be a short term loan imo.

They have about 32 training sessions on top of that to suss things out.

I'd imagine how players react to their coaching will be almost more determinative than what happens in those 5 games

I'm not sure we need any loan players. We don't have a major, urgent gap to fill unlike when we brought Zeefuik, Watt and Dauda in on loan. Unless there's a loan to buy possibility like Mackay-Steven or someone like that.

Archived