'Smaller' clubs in the Scottish Cup

BM1874

Apologies if this should be in the 4th round draw thread

So since the draw was made 2 teams have already came out and said that they will have to move their tie as their home ground won't be suitable (Bonnyrigg Rose* and Albion Rovers)

Personally I find it utter ridiculous that they are coming out with that.

They entered the competition with a stated home stadium, but as soon as a 'big' draw hits them, suddenly their crowd isn't going to make enough money so need to move it.

Surely it's part of the romance of the cup to have a bigger side visit your ground, i would be a bit miffed if we drew Albion Rovers and they moved it from Cliftonhill to Fir Park / New Douglas Park to make more money, as much as a s***hole as their ground may be I'd rather go there than have another trip to the other two.

That too and surely a cramped and tight wee ground makes it harder to go to.

Rules really need to change but with Our governing body, always gonna be gunned

Apologies if this should be in the 4th round draw thread

So since the draw was made 2 teams have already came out and said that they will have to move their tie as their home ground won't be suitable (Bonnyrigg Rose* and Albion Rovers)

Personally I find it utter ridiculous that they are coming out with that.

They entered the competition with a stated home stadium, but as soon as a 'big' draw hits them, suddenly their crowd isn't going to make enough money so need to move it.

Surely it's part of the romance of the cup to have a bigger side visit your ground, i would be a bit miffed if we drew Albion Rovers and they moved it from Cliftonhill to Fir Park / New Douglas Park to make more money, as much as a s***hole as their ground may be I'd rather go there than have another trip to the other two.

That too and surely a cramped and tight wee ground makes it harder to go to.

Rules really need to change but with Our governing body, always gonna be gunned

Yes of all the things the SFA need to sort out this is the priority.

Also while the sentiment is there i believe smaller clubs should maximise the revenue when they can so i have no problem with it. A good tie can sustain them for a long time.

Jack Kelly's Hands

I don't really see any issue with a smaller team taking advantage and trying to make as much money as possible - it's not as if there's a lot of money kicking about the lower end of Scottish football.

If the demand is there, why not move to a ground that can allow more fans to enjoy a potential one off occasion?

A team like Bonnyrigg Rose will have played 5 or 6 games just to get to this stage so why not let this be their final?

Yes of all the things the SFA need to sort out this is the priority.

Also while the sentiment is there i believe smaller clubs should maximise the revenue when they can so i have no problem with it. A good tie can sustain them for a long time.

Agreed. Surely the more money they make they can use to upgrade stadia etc

I get your point but I take it you have never been involved with/followed a local junior/part time team? Most have next to no money and rely on volunteers to bring in sponsorships just to make it through the season. A big tie in the Scottish (East Kilbride last year) could set them up for the next 5-10 years.

Archived